home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tips and Tricks for First-Timers and Fanatics
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #61
Boundin'
Grand Villa

I added on a day at Pop! to the beginning of a stay at BLT. I did this in order to do the 24 hour event in MK. So after getting thrown out of MK at 6am, I went back to Pop!, slept about 2 hours, checked out of Pop! and went over to BLT. I arrived at BLT at 12 noon, put my bags in storage, and then went out to the pool and slept on a lounge chair until I got the text that the room was ready. That was the only time I really felt "homeless" in WDW. But it was worth it to me to do the 24 hour thing.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #62
OttawaWendy
DVC Board Guide

OM and I regularly did split stays until we had kids. We liked the variety. Now we'll come for 14 days and stay in one place.

The packing part is a pain. The being homeless and moving part really needn't be.

Step One: Pack your bags
Step Two: Take your bags to Bell Services and tell them where you are going
Step Three: Go to a Disney Park
Step Four: Return from a Disney Park to a different resort
Step Five: Check in; collect your bags from Bell or have them delivered

With small children who need a nap, this is irritating. For anyone else, it doesn't have to be. I think people often make the mistake of trying to have that day be a down day, but that's a mistake. You don't want a down day when you don't have a room. If you make it a park day, you simply won't notice you don't have a room, because you would not be in it anyway. Who doesn't have a day that they aren't in the room from 10 to 4? And the moving part is simply arriving on one bus/mode of transportation in the morning, and leaving by a different one in the evening.

But the packing .... yeah, I get that.

OttawaBoy's birth announcement and hospital support thread - good to read if you need a cry
OttawaWendy's views on "buy where you want to stay" versus "buy where it's cheapest"
Previous trip reports:
December 2009 - AKV and SSR; March 2010 - HHI; December 2010 - Kidani; January 2013 - Boardwalk Villa (OB = 19 months); November 2013 - AKL (OB = 31 months)
OttawaWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:21 AM   #63
Jawfish
One Bedroom

We have done one split stay and it was pretty easy. AKV then Poly. I would do it again - if what we wanted to book was not open or if trying to stretch our points. It was much easier than we thought it would be.

1971 Offsite
1987 Offsite
1995 Offsite
1999 Offsite
2010 Fort Wilderness
2012 Fort Wilderness
2014 DAAR (May)
2015 Became DVC Owners
2015 PVB (Oct - 1st DVC Trip)
2016 PVB (May - Honeymoon)
2017 BLT (May - Pandora Preview)
2017 AK / PVB (Nov)
2018 PVB (Sep)
2018 Offsite (Dec)
2019 Offsite (May)
2019 SSR (Aug - SW:GE Preview)

2019 PVB (Sep)
2019 DL Cali Offsite (Oct)
2019 PVB (Dec)
2020 PVB (May)
Jawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #64
Ish6
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Smile Split Stay

We love doing split stays. The hassle of packing up is worth the benefit of "no bus" transportation (timesaver!!!!). We stay at BWV for 3 to 4 nights for Epcot and HWS, then move to BLT for 2 -3 nights for Magic Kingdom. Occasionally, we have stayed a Saratoga to spend a day or two at DS, before transferring to MK or Epcot resorts. Our luggage has always been transferred with ease. We plan for a day in the parks on our transfer day and ask for earliest possible check-in. That way, we never miss not having a room for several hours as we are busy at the Parks or Disney Springs. We LOVE being able to walk wherever we go...that's the benefit of split stays for us.
Ish6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:36 PM   #65
cherene
Grand Villa

We love doing split stays. It feels like a different vacation every time we move. I plan are parks out according to the resort we're at.
cherene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:36 AM   #66
zafiro
Two Bedroom

Love the split stays for all of the reasons mentioned!

Pack lightly, don't unpack the suitcase except to hang anything that might require less wrinkling.
Bring an extra foldable / expandable and lockable duffle bag to transport items that you don't want to lug around during moving day or shoes that you don't feel like fitting back into a suitcase.
Stay the first 3 of 4 nights at an MK resort in a studio, move to a 1 BR Epcot resort to have the washer and dryer that is necessary when you pack lightly. (Oh, if only those Poly studios had a small washer / dryer stack!)

There are variations of this including AKV on the front end and SSR on the backend; it depends on what is available and every time allows a new combination.

There are many new places with adult libations that we use moving day to try them out. We rarely stay more than 3 nights at any one resort. Bell Services is a great perk. We didn't do split stays when the kids were young, but now it's a must.
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #67
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

I do split stays often on solo trips, and I'm planning another next time. But I'll admit, if I had family with me, it would be too much of a hassle. As said in the article, I like to "compartmentalize", going to certain parks depending on which resort I'm at. Also, split stays allow me to "sample" new (to me) resorts, splitting them with resorts I know I'll love. That was I'm not "stuck" at a new resort, and potentially one I'm not fond of for the entire trip. I specifically do the "new" resort first, and then the one I know I like second.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #68
nrspepe
Two Bedroom

Did our first split stay this month and did not care for it at all.

We are move-inners...unpack suitcases, stock the kitchen and enjoy. We split BWV and CCV. We were dying to try CCV and though after some time at BWV (Epcot and HS), we would enjoy relaxing in the woods (also MK).

Our CCV room was ready at 7:30 am. So, no homeless period. We ubered to CCV late morning and went right to the room. Bell services handled our luggage.

Have to say...hated packing and unpacking. Frig stuff had no place in a smaller unit and we had to throw a lot out. Took a bit to reorient to new resort (could have been due to first stay at CCV). Spent the first night at CCV getting used to a different bed, pillows, bathroom layout, etc.

We will not do again.
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:10 PM   #69
ejcclars78
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrspepe View Post

We are move-inners...unpack suitcases, stock the kitchen and enjoy.

We have not split stay and the this entire thread is giving me anxiety.

I am a home body and one of the huge benefits of DVC for me, is "moving in" for our vacation. Kids get settled. We get settled. And we start some routines.

We also tend to use the kitchen so moving all of that sounds challenging.

------------
Upcoming Trips:

May 2019 Disney's Vero Beach
October 2020 - Disney World (details fuzzy)
ejcclars78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #70
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejcclars78 View Post

We have not split stay and the this entire thread is giving me anxiety.

I am a home body and one of the huge benefits of DVC for me, is "moving in" for our vacation. Kids get settled. We get settled. And we start some routines.

We also tend to use the kitchen so moving all of that sounds challenging.
You could always face your anxiety head on and book a split stay to try it.

Moving food is easy. We save the bags they come in. Pack up fridge stuff into one (or more), freezer stuff into another and everything else into others. They keep everything chilled / frozen as required, just mark them as such.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote