home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #31
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
I didn't find bar crawl in issue. I got drinks to go. Lapu lapu was easily transferred.
Just cant.carry bottles.
Wait. What? Crap. I didn't realize that - you're inside the security bubble so even if you are going from resort to resort, you have to be cleared for park access so no bringing on park contraband. That's stupid. Can you even carry a bottle of wine you picked up at Grand Floridian back to BLT? (Not that either place has unique wine, but . . .)

Sigh.

Dirk
Old 10-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #32
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwtcmThumper View Post
I tried to list five things, but I couldn't think of that many. I've stayed in all kinds of hotel, from a seedy hotel on Sunset Blvd to 4 stars. I'm not a picky person, but I do appreciate nice things. With Disney, though, you know it is a safe choice, and I won't take risks traveling with my child.

My favorite thing about SSR is that it was quiet and relaxing. I don't mind the theming. The couch was old, but it was comfortable. I like the kitchen, and I love the bathroom set up. Our room was conveniently close to the pool, and not far from the bus stop. Ha! I think that's 5.

Someone had also asked why I would want try other resorts if I know I like SSR. My DD and I love animals, so I think we will have to stay at AKL at some point. Also I'm just a curious person, and I like to try new things.
I haven't slept on the couch, but I do find it fairly uncomfortable for sitting. I end up cramming a bunch of pillows behind me. Apparently you are very easy to please! You'll love all DVC resorts.

More seriously, if you are referencing a 1 bedroom (which may be why the couch is nice as I'm used to Studio couched), the bathroom layout is similar to BCV, BWV, and VWL. PVB, CCC, and VGF have very different layouts ( and very nice, too). OKW's floorpan is probably the most unique of all the resorts.

For relaxing vibe, I would also recommend trying OKW. You can park close to your room there, too. The only major draw back is that the bus stops can only handle one bus at a time, so they back up. There are also no elevators in most buildings if climbing steps is an issue for anyone in your party.

By all means, try different resorts. It sounds like if you like new things, you'll be pleased with every resort for different reasons.

Dirk

Last edited by carolina_yankee; 10-22-2018 at 11:39 AM.
carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #33
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I haven't slept on the couch, but I do find it fairly uncomfortable for sitting. I end up cramming a bunch of pillows behind me. Apparently you are very easy to please! You'll love all DVC resorts.

More seriously, if you are referencing a 1 bedroom (which may be why the couch is nice as I'm used to Studio couched), the bathroom layout is similar to BLT, BWV, and VWL. PVB, CCC, and VGF have very different layouts ( and very nice, too). OKW's floorpan is probably the most unique of all the resorts.

For relaxing vibe, I would also recommend trying OKW. You can park close to your room there, too. The only major draw back is that the bus stops can only handle one bus at a time, so they back up. There are also no elevators in most buildings if climbing steps is an issue for anyone in your party.

By all means, try different resorts. It sounds like if you like new things, you'll be pleased with every resort for different reasons.

Dirk
I think you meant 1br bathroom layout is similar to BCV as well as the others you listed,not BLT which was the second resort to get the extra bathroom in the living areas. Kidani was the first.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #34
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwtcmThumper View Post
My last trip, I rented points from a friend, and we had a 1 BR st SSR. This was my first time staying on property, and I have heard from a few people that SSR is their least favorite resort. I really loved it, though. It was bright and spacious. Our room overlooked the golf course, which I also liked. I just thought it was amazing. I would stay there again and again, but I do want to stay in other places to try them out. My question is: if I loved SSR, does that mean I'll really love AKL or another "better" resort? Which would you recommend we try next?
SSR is Big. So a lot of folks dislike that less than quaint feel.

SSR is also lightly themed compared to other DVC resorts like VWL or AKV. So that also is a knock from some people.

But SSR provides some ood food, good location, and good entertainment. I proudly admit to being a Redneck SSR owner.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #35
bobbafett
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Wait. What? Crap. I didn't realize that - you're inside the security bubble so even if you are going from resort to resort, you have to be cleared for park access so no bringing on park contraband. That's stupid. Can you even carry a bottle of wine you picked up at Grand Floridian back to BLT? (Not that either place has unique wine, but . . .)

Sigh.

Dirk
No glass or alcohol...
But I regularly on mk days. Stop in poly. Order 2 lapu lapu drink one and put second on clear to go cup with lid.or you could use your resort mug. Never had any issues going back to the park with it.
Used to bring on people mover.....which was a.great part of my day.....now no food or drinks. Oh well, once again people screw it up for others.
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17, AKL 18, 18. VGF 18, VAK 18.

bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #36
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
No glass or alcohol...
But I regularly on mk days. Stop in poly. Order 2 lapu lapu drink one and put second on clear to go cup with lid.or you could use your resort mug. Never had any issues going back to the park with it.
Used to bring on people mover.....which was a.great part of my day.....now no food or drinks. Oh well, once again people screw it up for others.
I have a method ... I could share...
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:47 PM   #37
bobbafett
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
I have a method ... I could share...
Me too. Used a camel back once with margarita in it.

Or bag with drinks in it. But I'd rather not be that guy on the people mover.
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17, AKL 18, 18. VGF 18, VAK 18.

bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:38 PM   #38
TwtcmThumper
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Talking

I'm very glad I joined MO. You guys are great. I have no definite plans to to go to WDW, but I'm always planning. Thanks everybody for the input.
TwtcmThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #39
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
I think you meant 1br bathroom layout is similar to BCV as well as the others you listed,not BLT which was the second resort to get the extra bathroom in the living areas. Kidani was the first.
Yep, that's exactly what I meant! Oops.

Dirk
Old 10-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #40
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
No glass or alcohol...
I drink my soda on the People Mover all the time - but its' from a bottle in my bag.

I understand why it's not allowed - messes will surely happen - but it is a relaxing way to unwind and enjoy a cold beverage!

Dirk