home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-20-2018, 11:52 PM   #21
Djohn06
Grand Villa

I think we could better answer this question if you gave us the top five things that you value at a resort. Then that would help us determine if you would like the other resorts better. For example, if you value early am walks on the grounds, SSR is a great choice and maybe the best choice. But, if you desire quick park access, SSR ranks lower than most resorts.

Djohn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #22
TwtcmThumper
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djohn06 View Post
I think we could better answer this question if you gave us the top five things that you value at a resort. Then that would help us determine if you would like the other resorts better. For example, if you value early am walks on the grounds, SSR is a great choice and maybe the best choice. But, if you desire quick park access, SSR ranks lower than most resorts.
I tried to list five things, but I couldn't think of that many. I've stayed in all kinds of hotel, from a seedy hotel on Sunset Blvd to 4 stars. I'm not a picky person, but I do appreciate nice things. With Disney, though, you know it is a safe choice, and I won't take risks traveling with my child.

My favorite thing about SSR is that it was quiet and relaxing. I don't mind the theming. The couch was old, but it was comfortable. I like the kitchen, and I love the bathroom set up. Our room was conveniently close to the pool, and not far from the bus stop. Ha! I think that's 5.

Someone had also asked why I would want try other resorts if I know I like SSR. My DD and I love animals, so I think we will have to stay at AKL at some point. Also I'm just a curious person, and I like to try new things.
TwtcmThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:28 AM   #23
TwtcmThumper
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I also forgot to mention that we did drive, and the parking was convenient. Driving vs flying could depend on the convenience of parking. I do prefer parking my car at the beginning of the trip and not driving again until we leave. But it's nice to have the option to drive if I need to.
TwtcmThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #24
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
My favorite thing about SSR is that it was quiet and relaxing. I don't mind the theming. The couch was old, but it was comfortable. I like the kitchen, and I love the bathroom set up. Our room was conveniently close to the pool, and not far from the bus stop. Ha! I think that's 5.

SSR is getting a full refurb next year......its time.

Quote:
Someone had also asked why I would want try other resorts if I know I like SSR. My DD and I love animals, so I think we will have to stay at AKL at some point. Also I'm just a curious person, and I like to try new things.

AKV is also one of my favorite resorts. I love taking the grandkids there so they can see the animals.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #25
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post

Each resort is unique and you have to pick what will be best for you most of the time. We chose OKW for the relaxing atmosphere. We have stayed at AK, our daughters pick which was awesome and have reservations coming up for BWV, OKW, CC and BLT. Is there a bad one? No just preferences.
We like to do split stays at 3 to 4 days at each resort to have 2 vacations in one. Saratoga Springs is lovely but my DH is in a scooter and the resort is so spread out it makes it cumbersome. Our favorites are BRV and AKL for pool and ambiance. BWV for EPCOT access (that may change with the gondolas crowding the IG). Join the family and explore to your hearts content.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #26
ajc
Grand Villa

AKV is also one of my favorite resorts. I love taking the grandkids there so they can see the animals.[/quote]

THE ANIMALS!!
we like Jambo (grand entrance and good gift shop) over Kidani (long hallways and limited food options- but both have nice pools) and there is a point spread for the economy of scale at Jambo (value studios, value 1 BDRM, value 2 BDRM) topping out with Kilimanjaro club.
You can view animals from all over the resort and Mara, BOMA, & Jiko feed you well.
I am truly transported from day to day living. Parking isn't terrible (but not as good as OKW where you can park in front of your room).
Old 10-21-2018, 09:35 AM   #27
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwtcmThumper View Post
I tried to list five things, but I couldn't think of that many. I've stayed in all kinds of hotel, from a seedy hotel on Sunset Blvd to 4 stars. I'm not a picky person, but I do appreciate nice things. With Disney, though, you know it is a safe choice, and I won't take risks traveling with my child.

I'll take one of your 5 things...quiet resort...and go with that (as I am a light sleeper and like a quiet room).

BLT was worst due to being off skyway bridge lake view and we could hear electric water pageant, Wishes sound piped in on bridge, movies under the stars right outside our window. Poly was hallway noisy in our Morea building. We could hear doors slamming and kids running up and down hallway and could hear toilets flush all around us (buildings with lake view also have the boat horn noise). OKW was noisy due to buses turning around outside your villa (can't seem to get away from that anywhere at OKW). BWV BW view or garden view that's side view of BW is noisy. We had the side view one recently and could hear the hustle and bustle outside until like 11pm. Movies under the stars is right on the green there too. And some standard view rooms are near the front lobby portico and you can hear the luggage trucks beeping early in the morning. I think being off the main clown pool can be noisy too. AKV, SSR, BCV BRV are pretty quiet. CCV...we just stayed 1 night there so I don't have enough experience to say. SSR, BCV and BRV are pretty much the same room layout. BCV and BRV are smaller compared to AKV so you can get closer to pool at those maybe (you could request at AKV but then you'd be far from bus stop). If your kid likes MK, maybe try BRV. If they like Epcot and/or HS, try BCV. And AKV isn't a bad choice but will be way different than SSR.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:49 AM   #28
bobbafett
Grand Villa

Least favorite resort....
Not my least favorite room.

It's not a great staycation resort.

Something like Jambo or poly is.

Ssr is quiet. Great parking. Nice rooms. Just spread out Soo much. It's tough to walk to pool or restaurant
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17, AKL 18, 18. VGF 18, VAK 18.

bobbafett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #29
ajc
Grand Villa

the monorail resorts used to be very convenient but now the security check points are a damper for the monorail bar crawl with DH in scooter we ge set behind strollers and such. I can do no bag line but DH still has to soldier through the que so I have to wait for him, anyway.
Since MK is his least favorite park our MK go to is near MK is BRV (CCV is there too but we own @ BRV) so relaxing and beautiful. Just avoid the dreaded dumpster view at end of far hall.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #30
bobbafett
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
the monorail resorts used to be very convenient but now the security check points are a damper for the monorail bar crawl with DH in scooter we ge set behind strollers and such. I can do no bag line but DH still has to soldier through the que so I have to wait for him, anyway.
Since MK is his least favorite park our MK go to is near MK is BRV (CCV is there too but we own @ BRV) so relaxing and beautiful. Just avoid the dreaded dumpster view at end of far hall.
I didn't find bar crawl in issue. I got drinks to go. Lapu lapu was easily transferred.
Just cant.carry bottles.
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17, AKL 18, 18. VGF 18, VAK 18.

bobbafett is online now   Reply With Quote