home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
Festus
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default First trip to VGC booked, looking for advice

We just booked our first trip to the VGC for next May. We will be in a dedicated two bedroom. We are WDW veterans, but we have never stayed at VGC and never gone to Disneyland since having kids.

Are there any suggestions about room requests?

Any tips or tricks for VGC in general?

Has anyone had luck with grocery delivery (looking especially for a Dasani water pallet)?

Are the pools difficult to find chairs at?

Can you cut through the pool area to get to Whitewater Snacks from the DVC wing?

What works best for airport transportation to SNA?

Thanks!!!
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #2
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

While not on your list of questions I would recommend the tour of the GC hotel, very informative of the architecture of the time and the (IMO) over the top effort Disney made to weave it into the hotel. It is typically in the afternoon and take about 1 hour.

Also watch for (I don't know if they have published time or not) informal character meet and greets in the lobby.

Hearthstone lounge is a nice relaxing place to pickup a quick lunch or afternoon bite and it has good adult beverages.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
melk
Grand Villa

When we went we had requested a room facing CA. It wasnít ready when we arrived so we just took a first floor room near the pool and it worked out great.

We never had a problem getting a chair at the pool and that was at the end of June.

We found the entrance to CA from the hotel was always packed at opening so we just walked to the main entrance and it was fine. The lounge there has some great appetizers.

Have a great trip, itís a beautiful hotel.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #4
mikayla73
Grand Villa

We normally requested a Paradise Pier/Pixar Pier view. Though a "theme park view" room would include that and the Redwood Creek Challenge area. RCC is a more "woodsy" view and is nice too.

The VGC entrance is great for any time of day except park opening. If you're trying to get in quicker, go to the front gates.

I'll second the GC tour. It's interesting and informative.

We never did grocery delivery, but Von's is probably the closest. It's a regular grocery store, so they'll have lots of different types of water.

Never had an issue getting a chair. Depending on the time of year, you may not get front row, but it's all close.

You can cut through the pool area to get to WWS or the GC entrance to DCA, as long as the pool area is open. When it closes your card will no longer open the gates.
mikayla73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
Festus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJacksFamily View Post
While not on your list of questions I would recommend the tour of the GC hotel, very informative of the architecture of the time and the (IMO) over the top effort Disney made to weave it into the hotel. It is typically in the afternoon and take about 1 hour.
Thanks for the tips! Do you know if you need to make reservations in advance for the tour or just show up?
Old 10-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
mikayla73
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus View Post
Thanks for the tips! Do you know if you need to make reservations in advance for the tour or just show up?
We had to call and let them know we were coming, but it was free. When you call they will tell you where to meet. It's normally in the early afternoon I think.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
Festus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikayla73 View Post
We normally requested a Paradise Pier/Pixar Pier view. Though a "theme park view" room would include that and the Redwood Creek Challenge area. RCC is a more "woodsy" view and is nice too.
Was the "Paradise Pier/Pixar Pier view" particularly noisy? Did you have any view of World of Color from your room?
Old 10-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
Festus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikayla73 View Post
We had to call and let them know we were coming, but it was free. When you call they will tell you where to meet. It's normally in the early afternoon I think.
Thanks for all the specifics! It sounds great!
Old 10-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #9
MagicJourneys
Two Bedroom

We use Pavilions (used to be called Vons) for grocery delivery. We time the order to arrive shortly after we get to the hotel on check-in day.

Yes, cutting through the pool area (when the pool is open) is the quickest way to get to Whitewater snacks and also the entrance to DCA.

I would highly recommend you get Maxpass, which allows you to reserve Fastpasses from your phone as opposed to having to physically go to the attraction and use the machines. It costs $10 per day per person but is included in some annual passes.
MagicJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #10
mikayla73
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus View Post
Was the "Paradise Pier/Pixar Pier view" particularly noisy? Did you have any view of World of Color from your room?
We didn't find it noisy. If you open the slider, it's definitely not quiet. But with it closed, we didn't hear anything.

The view of WOC is a sideways view. You need to be on a higher floor and closer to the end under the viewing area for the sideways view of WOC. The lower floors get blocked by trees and a fence. And the closer you are to the grand villa on that side, the less you will see because the GV's stick out at the end. If you look at the map of the hotel, it will make more sense.
https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...a-photos-77979

It's a good view if you've already seen WOC, but I wouldn't make that my only viewing of it.