home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Default Analyzing the importance of points needed

Just something to keep me busy while I'm watching the early innings of the NLDS...

It seems that the vast majority of the cost discussions regarding resort ownership revolve around the base point costs. In some cases it also discusses the impact of mf's on overall ownership. What I don't see discussed as often, however, is the impact of the number of points needed for a typical stay.

Out of curiosity, I ran the points needed for a week in a studio (standard, if applicable) in the summer. I used a studio because it is available across the board in all of the onsite DVC resorts. Saratoga comes in the lowest at 106. OKW and BWV are both 108 while AKV is 116. Location gets a bit of a premium with BR/CC at 127, BCV at 134, and BLT at 139. The last two new adds to DVC, however, jumped dramatically to 169 for the same week (I don't count CC as it has ties to BR)! That's a 60% premium over Saratoga and even a 22% premium over the next highest resort (BLT).

Taking it one step further (just for fun). Consider those two extremes (SSR and GFV) and their current resale average (based on the recently shared August numbers). SSR is sold for an average of $105 per point with 36 years remaining. GFV sold for $173 per point with 42 years left. When you add in 2018 mf's, that results in a per point cost of $8.78 for SSR and $10.25 for GFV.

The result: the real cost of a summer week in a studio at SSR (based on current resale and mf's) is $930.68 while the cost at GFV is $1,725.25.

I'm not making a judgment of the respective value and whether or not one should be worth more than another (although I will say that the relative cost of GFV continues to be the reason we haven't yet bitten the bullet to stay there). All I am suggesting is that the number of points required to stay at a resort is a notably more important consideration than I often see reflected in the cost comparisons that focus on point costs and mf's. As details come out for Riviera, looking at the spike we've seen in the last two new resorts, I will be interested in seeing not only the cost per point, but the point cost per night!
Old 10-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #2
Hi from RI
Grand Villa

For us it is about the experience of the resort and the convenience not figuring out the money to that extent.....otherwise we would have never bought anywhere...

ME ,DH , DS23 : , DD21 , DD13
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
Sephorin
Two Bedroom

All good points. I would add that the studios at BLT are quite small. I'm not sure if I would be comfortable staying there with more than two people.

The equation changes a bit when you jump to the one bedroom, though. (My preferred lodging.) One week in standard at low season:

BCV 197
BLT 194
BWV 154
SSR: 164
VGF: 247 (!)

The BLT one bedrooms are great for me because they have two bathrooms. I don't know about SSR, but I'm pretty sure BCV and BWV only have one bathroom.

BWV really has a nice point chart.

If I preferred studios, it would have been a more difficult decision for me to buy into BLT. It probably still would have won out because of its location. (I imagine many folks feel the same about the locations of BCV and BWV.)

I think we can both agree that VGF is crazy. I'm afraid to ever stay there... because I think it will make me want to stay there more.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #4
Sephorin
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi from RI View Post
For us it is about the experience of the resort and the convenience not figuring out the money to that extent.....otherwise we would have never bought anywhere...
If it helps, you can always compare to rack rates at the deluxe resorts. DVC (especially resale) always looks like a steal by comparison. Don't forget to add 12.5% tax to the rack rates, which is something that folks who book on points don't have to pay.

Oh, and parking.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #5
JCinWonderland
Two Bedroom

A variety of room categories, for different amounts of points, was a primary factor in our (my) decision to buy at BWV. We would have been happy at BWV or BCV, but seeing how much further you can stretch your points at BWV was the deal breaker. Lately, BWV sells for a higher $/point than some other DVC resorts with comparable point makeups, but we were willing to pay more for the BWV location and being able to walk to Epcot and HS, over those other resorts.
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
JCinWonderland
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephorin View Post
All good points. I would add that the studios at BLT are quite small. I'm not sure if I would be comfortable staying there with more than two people.
This is exactly why I have chosen not to stay at BLT until after our next trip, when we plan to switch from studios to 1 bedrooms. Those BLT studios look too small. BLT 1 bedroom is on my list for our 2020 stay.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #7
Sephorin
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinWonderland View Post
A variety of room categories, for different amounts of points, was a primary factor in our (my) decision to buy at BWV. We would have been happy at BWV or BCV, but seeing how much further you can stretch your points at BWV was the deal breaker. Lately, BWV sells for a higher $/point than some other DVC resorts with comparable point makeups, but we were willing to pay more for the BWV location and being able to walk to Epcot and HS, over those other resorts.
Excellent analysis.

I keep thinking I need to get you in a room with my wife so that she will let me buy some BWV points.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #8
JCinWonderland
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephorin View Post
Excellent analysis.

I keep thinking I need to get you in a room with my wife so that she will let me buy some BWV points.
Ha ha I really do feel like you have the ability to get a lot out of your BWV points with the selection there. There may be a few things you have to sacrifice, like not having access to the SAB pool and not having dedicated 2 bedrooms or paying more compared to another resort, but those were sacrifices I was ok with. Your wife might come around eventually. You have loads of new BLT points, so give her a little time.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:32 PM   #9
Olaf2018
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We own at VGF and the overall cost was a consideration, but it wasn’t our primary buying factor. We would have bought Poly if it had 1-2 bedroom units but it doesn’t so we bought VGF because of the monorail and being a deluxe resort. Wife doesn’t care for BLT, so that was out.

Plus, our girls love the VGF fountain!
Olaf2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #10
Sephorin
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinWonderland View Post
You have loads of new BLT points, so give her a little time.
Ha ha! You are right, of course. I find that thinking of Disney is one of the few things these days that keeps my mind from going crazy over my job. So I have this emotional craving to buy MORE MORE MORE! Even though it doesn't make rational sense.

We're taking our first trip on points in January. Then I go again with my sister and her husband in February (cash stay). Then I am taking a trip with my daughter in December, 2019 for about two weeks. I really can't wait for that third one!

After those trips, we'll see what happens. Hopefully my wife and daughter will have a marvelous time. And then I can tell her that JCinWonderland said it's a good idea to buy more points.