home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Delaware Mike
DVC Board Guide

Default Ask the Local Experts - Interstate 95

Interstate 95:

Interstate 95 (I-95) is the primary interstate highway along the U. S. East Coast , paralleling the coastline from Maine to Florida. This highway provides service in the most urban parts of the US, through Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, DC, Richmond, and down to Jacksonville, and Miami, Florida. Of course, the folks on Mouse Owners are primarily interested in this route South to where is joins Interstate 4 (I-4) near Daytona Beach, Florida.

Below are excerpts from “local experts” along this route, providing ideas for making your driving journey to Walt Disney World more enjoyable.

Route Information

Dining

Hotel/Motel Information
Delaware: Exit #1 North (Route 896 North, aka South College Avenue)
Embassy Suites Newark, 654 South College Avenue, Newark, Delaware 19713 (302) 368-8000
Homewood Suites by Hilton, 640 South College Avenue, Newark, Delaware, 19713 (302) 453-9700
Howard Johnson Inn and Suites, 1119 South College Avenue, Newark, Delaware 19713 (302) 368-8521

Rest Areas
Delaware: At Mile Marker #5, Delaware House offers public rest rooms, travel information, vending machines, public telephones, ATM Machines, Food: Baja Fresh, Brioche Doree, Burger King, Carvel, Cinnabon, Famous Farmiglia Pizza, Popeye's Chicken, Starbucks, Gas: Sunoco, Other: Bijoux Terner, IShades, Z Market Convenience Store

Scenic Vistas and Things-To-See

Standard Travel Tips

Temporary Travel Tips
Delaware: I-95 Southbound Stateline Toll Plaza - 5/2010 to 9/2011: This toll plaza has been written up in various magazines, newspapers, and websites as being one of the biggest I-95 bottlenecks in the Mid-Atlantic States because of construction. Traffic can back up from the toll plaza at the state line to Exit 3 (Route 273).

If while driving Southbound around Exit #3 on I-95 in Delaware, and you find yourself seeing a backup ahead of you, do the following:

Take Exit #3 and stay in the Right-hand lane for Newark, and merge onto Delaware Route 273. In approximately one mile, take the Right-hand ramp for Delaware Route 4 (Ogletown-Stanton Road) Westbound to Newark. Stay on Delaware Route 4 past the Sterck School on your right, through the intersection with Marrows Road, through the intersection with Delaware Route 72 (South Chapel Street), through the intersection with Delaware Route 896 (South College Avenue), and continue to the intersection with Delaware Route 2 (Elkton Road). At this intersection, turn Left.

After about 3 miles, the ramp to get back onto Interstate 95 South will be on your right.

Last edited by Delaware Mike; 08-03-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Adding Tip
Delaware Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Delaware Mike
DVC Board Guide

Default I-95 South Delaware Newark Stateline Toll Plaza 5/2010 to 9/2011

This toll plaza has been written up in various magazines, newspapers, and websites as being one of the biggest I-95 bottlenecks in the Mid-Atlantic States because of construction. Traffic can back up from the toll plaza at the state line to Exit 3 (Route 273).

If while driving Southbound around Exit #3 on I-95 in Delaware, and you find yourself seeing a backup ahead of you, do the following:

Take Exit #3 and stay in the Right-hand lane for Newark, and merge onto Delaware Route 273. In approximately one mile, take the Right-hand ramp for Delaware Route 4 (Ogletown-Stanton Road) Westbound to Newark. Stay on Delaware Route 4 past the Sterck School on your right, through the intersection with Marrows Road, through the intersection with Delaware Route 72 (South Chapel Street), through the intersection with Delaware Route 896 (South College Avenue), and continue to the intersection with Delaware Route 2 (Elkton Road). At this intersection, turn Left.

After about 3 miles, the ramp to get back onto Interstate 95 South will be on your right.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Delaware Mike
DVC Board Guide

Default Off I-95, But Still Driving North in Virginia

Seems like no one has made use of this "Ask The Local Experts" idea, so I'll throw out a question for our Viriginia friends...

My wife and I are returning from WDW in the later part of October, and just recently began to discuss "leaf peeping". If we detour off I-95 on the way back, does anyone have any ideas on where to go for the foliage, when the peaks are expected, places to spend an overnight (cheap, but clean)?

It's been years since we went way off I-95, and over to Shenandoah National Park, but I think our travel dates will be after the leaves have turned and dropped there (October 29-30). We've stayed in Luray years ago, and have eaten at a place called Brookside Inn. But like I said, that's been ages ago.

Any ideas? We would also entertain ideas about the Great Smoky Mountains from our N. C. friends if the foliage doesn't peak until we're there, or afterward.

Mike
Old 09-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
bkgirl
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

thanks this will help or drive down in nov thanks.. so much, any more hints it will be great this our frist drive down start in nh to pick my hubby in nyc drop off the dog then down to vero beach
bkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
parrisk
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware Mike View Post
Seems like no one has made use of this "Ask The Local Experts" idea, so I'll throw out a question for our Viriginia friends...

My wife and I are returning from WDW in the later part of October, and just recently began to discuss "leaf peeping". If we detour off I-95 on the way back, does anyone have any ideas on where to go for the foliage, when the peaks are expected, places to spend an overnight (cheap, but clean)?

It's been years since we went way off I-95, and over to Shenandoah National Park, but I think our travel dates will be after the leaves have turned and dropped there (October 29-30). We've stayed in Luray years ago, and have eaten at a place called Brookside Inn. But like I said, that's been ages ago.

Any ideas? We would also entertain ideas about the Great Smoky Mountains from our N. C. friends if the foliage doesn't peak until we're there, or afterward.

Mike
I live in Alabama, but I have a vacation/retirement home near Pigeon Forge, TN, in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. I am not an expert, but I would say the leaves are their prettiest from mid-October to early November, if the weather has been fairly mild. Usually around the 3rd week of October is thought to be "peak" leaf season.

parrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
chowsito
Two Bedroom

Anywhere on Skyline Drive in Virginia would be beautiful. Time it right and even the trees on 95 are a show...but not the best scenery aside from that! In Northern Virginia, if you take the inner loop of the Beltway around to 64 West or the Dulles Toll Road, you could be at the mountains in no time in Loudoun Co., VA (which is beautiful horse country...a lot of vineyards are here too). Take 15 through Point of Rocks into Frederick, MD, and you will see some beautiful sites and foliage. Loudoun has lots of quaint B&B's you could stay at as well.

You may want to check and see if you can find when they are projecting peak foliage. Its been such a dry and hot summer here, that it will affect it for sure.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
OttawaWendy
DVC Board Guide

The best autumn foliage is in Quebec, ideally in Gatineau Park. The best foliage comes from the sugar maple, and about 75% of the world's maple syrup comes from that province alone, with more from other provinces.

So keep coming north, and I'll greet you with a beer when you get here!

OttawaBoy's birth announcement and hospital support thread - good to read if you need a cry
OttawaWendy's views on "buy where you want to stay" versus "buy where it's cheapest"
Previous trip reports:
December 2009 - AKV and SSR; March 2010 - HHI; December 2010 - Kidani; January 2013 - Boardwalk Villa (OB = 19 months); November 2013 - AKL (OB = 31 months)
OttawaWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #8
Ronald Duck
Studio

I'm an inveterate weather freak and leaf-peeper. Although predicting peak color is still more art than science, based on an article I read somewhere (sorry) and local observations of unusually early color, I'm pretty sure the leaves will be turning early along the east coast this year. So I'd think "south" and "lower elevations" in making your return route plans.

It's been 14 years since we did the I-95 trek to Disney. It was fun once, but thank heavens Southwest came into Albany with non-stops
Old 09-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
pacman
Grand Villa

Thanks for posting . This will come in handy.
pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
hubbyloveswdw
Two Bedroom

Default Where to buy gas on 95

We just drove to HHI from the Boston area in April. We found the states for the best gas prices were:
South Carolina
New Jersey
Massachusetts
Maryland
Virginia

North Carolina gas stations were the highest priced.

hubbyloveswdw is offline   Reply With Quote