home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #71
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
BTW I love it when someone says "literally", and literally means "literally"!
I literally shook my head off my shoulders agreeing with this...NOT

Cheers.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:50 PM   #72
ReagentGrade
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We've only been to WDW once and stayed at Animation. The bus service wasn't great. One day, DW and DD stayed at MK until closing and it took more than two hours to get back to the hotel!

Our next trip will be as DVC Owners in BLT, Dec 27 to Jan 5.

There will be eight of us - six adults and two middle school boys. I reserved a nine-passenger van in January at a great price, figuring I could cancel if not needed.

Fast is certainly better than slow, but predictable is most critical. Bus service, especially when WDW is completely full, will not be fast or predicable. We don't want to spend hours of our visit waiting for busses and have to schedule later FP+ just in case we're late on arrival!

My goal for my family is to make this the most incredible vacation they've ever had.

I think one way to enhance their visit is to be my family's personal Uber driver.

On non-MK days:
  • I'll bring the van around to the front of BLT for pick up
  • Drive to the park de jour and drop everyone in the passenger drop-off area
  • Park the van and make my way into the park (I don't mind arriving late)
  • At the end of the day, I'll leave early and get the van. If I reach the van too quickly, I'll just chill it off (literally) while i wait for pick up time
  • I'll fetch everyone , take them to the hotel and drop them before parking
Do you think this strategy will work?
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:01 AM   #73
MMC1
Grand Villa

I am thinking No because it is NYE and the traffic and parking and crowds...
I hope somebody else has more advice.
You will be happy to be staying at BLT tho!
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #74
Jedimom3
Two Bedroom

We always drive. Then after our first grocery run, the car just sits ....this trip DS wanted Olive Garden for his bday dinner, so we did that offsite driving . We just rely on busses and boats and a lot of walking and waiting. DH hates driving to the parks and really hates leaving with the rush . This week will test that though, as they are renting a house and will drive in a few times. We will see how that works . I've yet to try uber , but we neeed to get over that. Getting back to AKL from GF took awhile. Ditto the night the in laws had to go from AKL back to SOG . I find it funny we have our car, and it just sits .
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:26 AM   #75
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
In reading everyone's responses, I kind of see where different vacation styles play into whether one likes Disney transportation or not. As I said before, we have met some great people along the way with our transporting and I do love seeing things (resorts, people, even construction to see the forthcoming changes) while being chauffeured around. So, while in transit, I guess I consider it a part of my entire vacation. But reading various anti Disney transportation threads I see a pattern of "wasting time" and "getting there faster" which leads me think there is another vacation style out there that the focus is specifically on what is planned, and the "getting there" is not included. Very interesting to see how many different attitudes there are while in ones happy place.
I was thinking the same thing as I read through all of the posts. This is just a generalization but it seems that folks who have not been to WDW a lot of times tend to be on the track to not waste time and get there faster. While those who have been there a lot seem to take it a little slower and not be so concerned with time.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #76
JCinWonderland
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeokw56 View Post
I was thinking the same thing as I read through all of the posts. This is just a generalization but it seems that folks who have not been to WDW a lot of times tend to be on the track to not waste time and get there faster. While those who have been there a lot seem to take it a little slower and not be so concerned with time.
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but I think a trip with kids vs. no kids also plays a huge part in this. Those families with younger children generally have a breaking point during the day and feel the need to maximize their fun time each day. There just isn't a lot of time we feel we can "waste" on things like transportation and waiting in most lines. I know for us, mornings are particularly important because the kids aren't tired or cranky yet and that is also when the lines are still shorter. The way I see it, as someone who hasn't been to the parks a lot in recent years, and I'm now taking my own children, the least amount of time spent transporting and waiting in lines the better (this probably holds true for most). And while riding the bus may be fun the first couple times for younger children, at some point its not that fun anymore. The boats may hold their exciting factor a little longer though.
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #77
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinWonderland View Post
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but I think a trip with kids vs. no kids also plays a huge part in this. Those families with younger children generally have a breaking point during the day and feel the need to maximize their fun time each day. There just isn't a lot of time we feel we can "waste" on things like transportation and waiting in most lines. I know for us, mornings are particularly important because the kids aren't tired or cranky yet and that is also when the lines are still shorter. The way I see it, as someone who hasn't been to the parks a lot in recent years, and I'm now taking my own children, the least amount of time spent transporting and waiting in lines the better (this probably holds true for most). And while riding the bus may be fun the first couple times for younger children, at some point its not that fun anymore. The boats may hold their exciting factor a little longer though.
Very good point. I'm sure that factor plays a big part of how folks vacation in the parks. It's been a while, ok a long while, since we've had little ones with us.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #78
JCinWonderland
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeokw56 View Post
Very good point. I'm sure that factor plays a big part of how folks vacation in the parks. It's been a while, ok a long while, since we've had little ones with us.
I look forward to the day that we can go and be more relaxed about how we plan our days. For the time being, we will be referred to as "park commandoes," a term I've seen used on MO that I think so very accurately describes the urgency with which some people plan their daily "missions".

All that said, we still plan to use the buses and other Disney transport, unless we have a special ADR or something else planned that we think alternate transportation might be needed. In those cases, I think we would use Uber or Minnie Vans.
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #79
Steelersforlife24
Studio

If we canít do the monorail I like paying the $10 or so and take a lyft. I think it is well worth it for stress free quick travel.
Steelersforlife24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #80
tom82097
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingojango View Post
I'm an owner at AKL and my biggest complaint is transportation to the parks (I know not alone on this one). This next trip we'll be driving to WDW and I'm wondering what other people's experience is with driving vs Disney Transportation around WDW? I'll be at Kidani, so I assume the car will be relatively easy to get in and out of the resort.

Who has tips for driving vs bus from Kidani?

What other tips does anyone have driving from the other resorts (especially OKW, SSR, BR/CC) vs Disney transporation?
Kidani i would categorize differently because of the ability to park near your room.

Other resorts I prefer the Disney transportation, because of the "one less thing to worry about". Parking the car, getting the tram....

BLT i bought specifically for the walking factor.
2017- Copper Creek Villas and Cabins at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
tom82097 is offline   Reply With Quote