home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
This is all correct.

But I'll give everyone a secret - you don't actually need a Sunpass transponder in the car. You only need one to set up the account intially. After that, it will bill through the tag. So you can buy the $5 sticker and use it to create an account. Then you can add the license plate of the rental car to your account for each trip and have the system bill the plate. You can add rental cars on a temporary basis for the length of your stay right on the app, so you don't have to worry about being charged for the next person that has the car. This will circumvent the daily fee the rental companies would charge you to bill by plate because the Sunpass system will bill you first.
ohhh I didn't realize that. But it totally makes sense because you input your plate on the off chance it didn't register with a transponder, you'll still get the correct payments and such and not be billed to a rental car.

Dang, wish I had known that, but we bought our transponder quite a few years ago, but that is great to know.

I did already know about the rental car temp access. That is the first thing I add and remove when I pick up/drop off the car.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #12
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Whoa.....Nice tip!

I need to buy a sunpass or a sticker?
Sunpass is the system. They sell two types of transponders - a transferrable one that attaches with suction cups, can be moved from car to car, and costs $20; and a fixed sticker that can't be taken off the car, is damaged once it's removed from the windshield, and costs $5. Aside from the portability, they both work in the same way. So, you can buy the $5 sticker version just to activate an account, and never stick it to anything. Once you get the account active, you add the rental car tag each trip, and it will charge from there. If you wanted, you could stick the sticker to something like a piece of thin plastic, bring it each trip, and hold it up high against the windshield to try and get it to read, but I don't think it's necessary or will work reliably. As a bonus, they offer a $5 toll credit if you buy the sticker and set up automatic replensihing of the balance on your account of $10, making the actual sticker free.

So one could buy the sticker, set up the account, add as little as $10 for tolls, set up auto replenish, get the $5 credit, and never use the sticker again.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #13
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
ohhh I didn't realize that. But it totally makes sense because you input your plate on the off chance it didn't register with a transponder, you'll still get the correct payments and such and not be billed to a rental car.

Dang, wish I had known that, but we bought our transponder quite a few years ago, but that is great to know.

I did already know about the rental car temp access. That is the first thing I add and remove when I pick up/drop off the car.
That's exactly why. They don't know if you have it in your car or not. You could have accidentally left the portable one in your other car. Or it could just have failed to register at the toll.

Honestly, I just thought of it because I rented a car to pick up some Ikea furniture and have the sticker on my car, so I didn't have an actual transponder with me. It still charged my account based on the rental plate, and I didn't get the charge from the rental place.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #14
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
That's exactly why. They don't know if you have it in your car or not. You could have accidentally left the portable one in your other car. Or it could just have failed to register at the toll.

Honestly, I just thought of it because I rented a car to pick up some Ikea furniture and have the sticker on my car, so I didn't have an actual transponder with me. It still charged my account based on the rental plate, and I didn't get the charge from the rental place.
We'll still take our transponder with us because we have it, but I just won't worry if we ever forget it or something. Could've saved me $15 but in the long run that's not a big deal to me. We bought it for the convenience of it all more than saving money (other than not having to pay the high rental car sunpass fees).

Good to know for the future to pass on to others though.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #15
noreen99
One Bedroom

Quote:
This is all correct.

But I'll give everyone a secret - you don't actually need a Sunpass transponder in the car. You only need one to set up the account intially. After that, it will bill through the tag. So you can buy the $5 sticker and use it to create an account. Then you can add the license plate of the rental car to your account for each trip and have the system bill the plate. You can add rental cars on a temporary basis for the length of your stay right on the app, so you don't have to worry about being charged for the next person that has the car. This will circumvent the daily fee the rental companies would charge you to bill by plate because the Sunpass system will bill you first.
Would this work for adding a 2nd car?
Already have transponder in our family car. We have guests joining us so we plan on taking both cars ( we wonít all fit in one MINI, as is we look like a clown car ) I planned on stopping and picking one up from the vending machines. But if I can do it so we donít have to stop...
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #16
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen99 View Post
Would this work for adding a 2nd car?
Already have transponder in our family car. We have guests joining us so we plan on taking both cars ( we wonít all fit in one MINI, as is we look like a clown car ) I planned on stopping and picking one up from the vending machines. But if I can do it so we donít have to stop...
It should. Add their car as a rental.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #17
ajc
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos View Post
EZ Pass will not work.

Unfortunately, the rental companies charge you as daily user fee, whether you use the SunPass each day or not. These charges can add up.

Another possibility would be to take ME to Disney, and rent car on property.

the WDW car care center has rentals and will pick you up at designated locations.
There are off sites at hotels by Disney Springs with easy taxi for P/U
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #18
dvcfan937
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
There are ways to get from MCO to WDW without needing to pay tolls, I believe, but it's not direct and can take quite a bit longer if the traffic is bad on I-4 (as it often is). Once when we used a car service from SSR to MCO, they took the I-4 Route, probably to avoid tolls. Fortunately, traffic was light so the timing wasn't too different.

Another alternative is simply to set up your own SunPass account if you think you will be renting cars in Florida in the future. The portable transponder is $19.99 and requires a $10 minimum deposit on your account, I believe.

https://www.sunpass.com/pdf/MiniWebPDF_E-01-2016.pdf

And here's the purchase page:
https://www.sunpass.com/selectAccept...sponder.action

You don't want the sticker version because you can't easily transfer them from vehicle to vehicle.

The SunPass app is easy to use for updating your car information to the rental make/model/color/license plate. I'm also not sure to what extent they would cause trouble for you if the transponder didn't match the car description provided nobody complained of fraudulent tolls and there weren't any problems with the transponder being recorded.

The drawback is you have to plan to do this several weeks in advance of your trip so that you have your transponder, but once you have your transponder, all you have to do is remember to bring it with you to Florida.

For the convenience, I go with SunPass because we do pay tolls at some point most trips whether we drive ourselves or fly and rent. I'm not sure EZ-Pass is fully integrated into the Florida system yet, otherwise we would just use that.

Dirk
dvcfan937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #19
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post

the WDW car care center has rentals and will pick you up at designated locations.
There are off sites at hotels by Disney Springs with easy taxi for P/U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos View Post
EZ Pass will not work.

Unfortunately, the rental companies charge you as daily user fee, whether you use the SunPass each day or not. These charges can add up.

Another possibility would be to take ME to Disney, and rent car on property.
Except the OP wasn't planning on leaving the bubble once there. I would guess they are choosing this over ME for a reason.

We avoid ME so to me the only other option is to hire a car of some sort (town car, uber/lyft etc). Rentals are nice though and honestly dealing with tolls isn't that bad.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #20
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
We'll still take our transponder with us because we have it, but I just won't worry if we ever forget it or something. Could've saved me $15 but in the long run that's not a big deal to me. We bought it for the convenience of it all more than saving money (other than not having to pay the high rental car sunpass fees).

Good to know for the future to pass on to others though.
I'm a big fan on the convenience. Living in NJ, I love having EZ Pass and never having to think about a toll. At all.

Sunpass probably isn't worth it for a one-time shot (though a $5 sticker version might be), but for the convenience, I definitely think it's worth it over the long haul. It did take me 4 years to spend $25 in tolls, but that's OK. I had it and it was useful!

Also, if you take the Central Florida Greenway (417) from the Airport (the recommended route), there can be long lines at toll booths as they've greatly reduced the number. There are two in-transit tolls plus your exit toll.

If you are driving to Port Canaveral, there are even more.

Dirk