home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #21
JCinWonderland
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
Often my husband and I each take an aisle seat directly across from one another. I can't tell you how many times one of the middle-seat folks has offered to trade, "so you two can sit together." We smile, "We are sitting together," as we reach out to hold hands across the aisle, briefly. ;-)
Aisle/Aisle is the way to go!
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #22
disneyteach
Two Bedroom

My DH travels Delta weekly for business. He much prefers Delta over SW, but we fly SW to Orlando because we can't get a nonstop. If we could and the price was better, we would be flying Delta every time. There are no hidden fees with Delta once you pay for your checked bag. If you get a Delta American Express you do get one free checked bag.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #23
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Delta does let you pick your seat even with basic economy, but not until you check in (or at least that was the case last time I was on Delta). Usually, that means you're in the back. You can always try to get an exit row, or move forward at the gate. I once had a gate agent put us into premium economy with a wink and a smile (from her).

I never fly SW, btw. They are generally the HIGHEST priced carrier out of Detroit.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #24
noreen99
Two Bedroom

In general I’m finding that southwest is not the great deal they used to be. Last December it was cheaper to fly 1St class on AA Nashville to NYC than SW-

We have been driving to WDW as I cannot seem to get “wanna get away” lower than $232 EACH way- x 4 adults-

We have a reservation for thanksgiving and due to school schedules we will have to fly... SW hasn’t even posted thier fares yet for BNA
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:55 PM   #25
gflatto
Two Bedroom

We generally prefer SW for personal travel; I fly Delta for business (and this year, it's been quite a bit!). We had some really bad experiences with Delta several years ago, but lately it's been pretty good. So for us it's mostly around who has the non-stops. That's SW to Orlando, but Delta to Boston (due to family, another frequent destination for us).

As noted, with Main Cabin, you get your seat assignment when you book; Economy not until you check in. I think you also will likely be in one of the later boarding groups if you are in Economy; we often are on smaller jets, and they are frequently asking for volunteers to check their carry-ons. If they don't get enough volunteers, the late boarders will likely be forced to check them. So if it's important to you that your carry on actually BE a carry on, that's another negative to the Economy class.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon
May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member
May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV
May/June 2010 - VWL
July 2010 - VGC
Christmas 2010 - BLT
May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV
July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!
October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP
May/June 2012 - BCV
Christmas, 2012 - BLT
June, 2013 - AKV (Kidani) and BWV
December, 2013 - VGF and BLT
December, 2014 - BWV
June, 2015 - AKV (Kidani) and SSR
December, 2015 - Christmas Cruise on the Fantasy
October, 2016 - BLT
May/June 2017 - BWV
October, 2017 - AKV (Kidani) and CCV
Next Up: June, 2018 - BWV (No kids!)
gflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #26
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen99 View Post
In general I’m finding that southwest is not the great deal they used to be. Last December it was cheaper to fly 1St class on AA Nashville to NYC than SW-

We have been driving to WDW as I cannot seem to get “wanna get away” lower than $232 EACH way- x 4 adults-

We have a reservation for thanksgiving and due to school schedules we will have to fly... SW hasn’t even posted thier fares yet for BNA
They price very similar to everyone else for us (like identical - price collusion between them all? Oh, of course not.....) although wanna get away during sales are often better. Where they come out ahead is if you check luggage. Plus the change/cancel flexibility.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #27
noreen99
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
They price very similar to everyone else for us (like identical - price collusion between them all? Oh, of course not.....) although wanna get away during sales are often better. Where they come out ahead is if you check luggage. Plus the change/cancel flexibility.
Honestly the fares we received over Christmas week were first class so no baggage fees but I agree they have a better change/cancel policy.

Thanksgiving is a short trip for us so hoping to get away with carry-on only taking full advantage of the washer/dryer. When we fly we rent a car anyway so if’s not an issue to use Stanford if price is right.
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #28
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Far from a great deal, their prices are downright comical.

I just picked mid-October from DTW to MCO to compare. Oct 13-21. Sat-sun. Cheapest flights, regardless of scheduled time:

Spirit: $242
Delta: $296, nonstop
American: $321
United: $570, with stops
Southwest: $607, with plane changes

Is the SW customer base so loyal that they'll ignore other options entirely, allowing ridiculous prices?
Old 04-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #29
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
Was it a direct flight? That could make a difference.
Not direct - and there were weather issues, which involved being switched to another airline. So, here luggage went on Delta and stopped as far as ATL, while she made it to EWR on American.

It all makes sense given the circumstances. I just couldn't resist working in two more Disney ear worm songs.

Dirk
Old 04-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #30
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:

That's nuts! My RT from Memphis to Orlando on SW for this trip was only 161pp!