home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
KtMcobs96
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Green Motion rental cars: has anyone used (or heard) of them?

Okay, not to take away from my intent for this thread, but thought that it was pretty funny that when I searched the forums for "greeen motion" most everything that came up was about motion sickness (mostly on FoP) and turning green!

I have typically used dollar for my go-to rental company in Orlando. Recently heard of cheaprentalcars.com and decided to see what comparisons they came up with.

Quite a few of the options were for Green Motion. I had never heard of them and come to find out they are a UK based car rental company who has just recently opened operations in the US. They only rent in 3 locations in Fla currently.

Does anyone have any experience using them?

Right now, they are listing a full sized car for $75 less than dollar for my trip.

I usually stick with what I know, but $75 is $75!
Old 05-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Allow extra time on both ends. They are off airport and admit the shuttle runs every 15-20 minutes.

Personally I won't bother with off site car rentals, but....
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
KtMcobs96

Yeah, that was my thought as well. I think we used an offsite rental company before and have tried avoiding since.

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-01-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

Hard to beat Hertz or Alamo at MCO for just exiting the terminal, getting in a car, and driving away.

Hertz doesn't provide that service until you've visited the counter at least once, but Alamo offers it to first time renters (assuming you complete all parts of your profile).

I don't mind occasional inconveniences to save some cash, but never while in Orlando.

My DVC homes: BLT, BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #5
KtMcobs96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonv1 View Post
Hard to beat Hertz or Alamo at MCO for just exiting the terminal, getting in a car, and driving away.
Mmmmm, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I checked rates straight, with my corporate discount, and mousesavers discount code and they all came back 2 1/2x to 3x the cost of Dollar for the same car.

Dollar has terminal pick up as well.

That will be our selection for this trip (as with prior trips) because as you all have pointed out, the shuttle ride to offsite pick-up sounds okay but actually doing it costs you more in time and convenience.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #6
ustasmom
One Bedroom

I just started searching for our trip in a couple of weeks and they popped up on my radar as well. I saw a lot of not so pleasant reviews. But then again, Alamo et al have 40,000 cars at MCO. It will take a lot of good reviews to make a dent in that business.

I think that their price came back at $80 for an economy and Alamo came back at $174 for an intermediate SUV, through Costco (5 days.) Not having to schlep three kids on a shuttle or doing a puzzle as to how to arrange luggage in an economy car is worth the price IMO.
ustasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #7
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

No argument there, although pricing varies so much on cars from one week/vendor/car size to the next.

Generally speaking I'd choose any vendor at MCO that allows me to skip all counters over one that doesn't. The MCO rental car counters can be a mess if you happen to land during busy times.

Being loyal to airlines can be useful, being loyal to rental car companies is rarely worth it unless you really value those upgrades and/or airline miles. I get both with Hertz (Presidents Club thanks to Delta Plat Medallion) but neither are enough to keep me loyal to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtMcobs96 View Post
Mmmmm, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I checked rates straight, with my corporate discount, and mousesavers discount code and they all came back 2 1/2x to 3x the cost of Dollar for the same car.

Dollar has terminal pick up as well.

That will be our selection for this trip (as with prior trips) because as you all have pointed out, the shuttle ride to offsite pick-up sounds okay but actually doing it costs you more in time and convenience.

My DVC homes: BLT, BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote