home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > WELCOME TO THE DVC BOARDS AT MOUSEOWNERS.COM > Welcome to the Forums!
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
lynn1109
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Hi. Question to Owners regarding CANCELLATIONS

Hi. This Disney thing is a whole new world to us. We are planning a trip there with a timeshare Feb/March 2018. We are ready to sign and our last question just regards cancellations. Should this storm "Irma" (God forbid) destroy the resort of our choice will we be able to have our trip / funds we are out reimbursed? Or would we be moved around/etc. Any help is appreciated. We just don't want to commit and lose it all should this storm be a bad one. Our 3rd party says they have no policy for this and a no cancellation policy. Much appreciated. Thanks so much.
lynn1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
patty57
Two Bedroom

You mention third party...do you mean one of the DVC rental companies? If so, I would ask them.

I would be surprised if one of the DVC properties were destroyed, but you could always wait until the storm is over to book if you would feel better.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
lynn1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
You mention third party...do you mean one of the DVC rental companies? If so, I would ask them.

I would be surprised if one of the DVC properties were destroyed, but you could always wait until the storm is over to book if you would feel better.

Yes. David's. They said they don't have a policy on hurricanes/damage. My question is if they did obtain damage and had problems at our vacation time and we couldn't stay were we booked I wouldn't imagine that we would be out the trip cost with no relocation or refund. Is that so? Thanks owners!
Old 09-06-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

The kind of damage you mention in your original post has never happened at Disney, so there is no way to know how it would be handled.

JaxFLBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:29 PM   #5
patty57
Two Bedroom

I think you would be bound by whatever rules David's has since you are renting through him. Did you ask if he would try and relocate you?
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
lynn1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
I think you would be bound by whatever rules David's has since you are renting through him. Did you ask if he would try and relocate you?
I agree guys but this storm isn't looking good. I guess we can hope for the best and book if we decide or wait until after it passes.
They acted like they have never had this happen and we will cross that bridge when we get there.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
ustasmom
One Bedroom

Didn't Hilton Head take a huge hit within the past couple of years?
ustasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:15 PM   #8
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom View Post
Didn't Hilton Head take a huge hit within the past couple of years?
Hilton head is on the coast/beach, just like several years prior VB had servere damage from a hurricane. Wdw resorts usually fare well and have never had major damage.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #9
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn1109 View Post
Yes. David's. They said they don't have a policy on hurricanes/damage. My question is if they did obtain damage and had problems at our vacation time and we couldn't stay were we booked I wouldn't imagine that we would be out the trip cost with no relocation or refund. Is that so? Thanks owners!
It would be comparable to if the resort burnt down or otherwise had issues that closed it up for a period and that is what David's would be dealing with. I'm drawing a blank though on what happens with owners points during the time a resort needed to be closed but I can't believe David's would not handle this appropriately. But it's like asking "what if the resort burns down"?

By all accounts this still has the potential to be a bad storm for much or all of FL but it isn't untrue that there's never been an issue with hurricanes for WDW like you are asking about. If uncomfortable then you should probably delay in doing the reservation until later this week or next week when the path becomes more clear.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #10
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn1109 View Post
I agree guys but this storm isn't looking good. I guess we can hope for the best and book if we decide or wait until after it passes.
They acted like they have never had this happen and we will cross that bridge when we get there.
I don't think it has actually happened before especially you are talking about a trip that is six months away. As bad as Irma is or may be, I highly doubt that there would be any resort destroyed that would not be fine and fixed in 6 months. At least let's hope there is not that much destruction.
I am sure Davids will do everything possibly if the worst happens and you could not stay at the resort you choose, or refund your money. Remember the difference is you are not booking through Disney. The points you rent belong to someone, so it's not like they can just flip your reservation to another resort. They would have to find a owner with points available to rent.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote