home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #61
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikayla73 View Post
OHHHHH

I would not have guess that.
Like I said. Think of what it couldn't possibly be. And I suppose you did do that.
Now I'll have to dig up a pic of an actual bathroom from Elizabeth Castle...
Old 03-31-2012, 05:32 AM   #62
AnnaS
Grand Villa

I wanted to say bathroom too because we saw some crazy ones in France. It was literally the a hole on the ground in a cave/mountain.

Thank you for the great pictures. It's nice to see how different it is out there and not just the architecture.
May 2019 - OKW

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #63
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Before we head back to France, I’ll fill in a few gaps and add a few details about the islands.

Guernsey:
Castle Cornet at Night

British Dining:
Interesting thing we learned about British dining, and it was actually brought up by one of our Guernsey hosts later in the week when he related his experiences from visiting the Unites States. “Whenever my coffee cup started to get empty, they would come along and ask if I wanted more…FREE! And they kept coming to the table to check on me and see if I wanted anything else, and offered me dessert... You would never see that in Britain!” I found that most amusing, because our experience at this restaurant on Guernsey was the complete opposite. The food was great, and the setting was very quaint, but we thought our waitress was terrible because she never came to check on us. This was the view of the street from our table.

Sark:
Sark has recently been named as the world’s first Dark Sky Island by the International Dark Sky Association (yeah, apparently they have an association now, who knew!) Because of its remoteness, and relative lack of light pollution the sky is remarkably dark at night. We didn’t plan an overnight stay.

Another quick note on Sark. We walked a LOT! Far more than most people do in a typical day on the island. We hiked high and low and felt it (and the effects of Guernsey’s hills) for a few days. But we covered a lot of the island

Another thing about Sark that I loved. Renting a bike. The transaction went like this after we walked into the bike shop:
We’d like to rent two bikes for the afternoon
“Ok, that’s 20 pounds (or whatever it was)”
Ok, here you go.
“Thanks, here are a couple of bikes”
That was IT. Nothing to sign, no contract full of disclaimers, no ID, nothing other than give money, get a bike.

And when we returned it:
“Hi, we’re bringing back the bikes we rented earlier”
Ok, just leave them against the wall out there

Where else could that possibly happen?

A few more shots from Sark:

The port is on the other side of the arched tunnel.

Near the port

Near the port

Sark Countryside

Coast

View down to the beach from le Coupee

le Coupee
Old 04-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #64
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Little Sark Coast

Back over on the Northwest side of the island, we stopped by a place called “Hole in the Wall” Yup. It was a hole in the wall. At one point, they quarried granite from Sark and would basically toss it out through this hole cut into the rock. This was a clear difference between the US and elsewhere. There would have been fences and guardrails and all sorts of things if this was in the US. Instead, it was “Sheer Drop Ahead” and when you got there, yup. About 250’ straight down

Near the hole in the wall

Hole in the wall

Looking down

Those crazy Sarkees. We didn’t notice this sign until we were home and looked through our pics
Old 04-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #65
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Jersey:
A few more shots
Under way on Charming Betty

The “volunteer” company at Elizabeth Castle. It was clear that the guy on the far left had been in the military at some point. When at attention, he was standing straight up, eyes forward, taking it very seriously.

More views of/from Elizabeth Castle

Looking out along the breakwater

The latrine. No, I didn’t look to see where they hole led.

Along the breakwater
Old 04-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #66
D C
Add-on Aficionado

The war tunnels are full of a walking history of WWII from the island perspective

I thought this was rather clever on behalf of the islanders

More war tunnel pics

Old 04-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #67
D C
Add-on Aficionado

BACK TO FRANCE!!

Gorgeous Sunday as we made our way by ferry back over to St Malo. Some of the sights as we neared the harbor, and a better shot of the walled city of St Malo. Unfortunately, we didn’t have time to return and explore. Maybe next time….

St Malo

St Malo Lighthouse

Castle Near St Malo

Having figured out the secret to the French roundabouts, we set off for our return to Paris. Caen? Nope. AUTRE DIRECTIONS? YES! (It was a US-resident Frenchman on the ferry to the islands that informed us of that essential bit of information. He was complaining about French road signs himself. LOL)

We wanted to see some of the French countryside, but didn’t have time to venture down to wine country, so we just decided to see where AUTRE DIRECTIONS took us, and hoped that we could eventually get back to Paris.

The first place it took us, we found this most wonderful of wonderful inventions!

Yes! That’s exactly what you think it is! A McTouchscreen!! English? Yes please! Tap tap tap….swipe. Go to the counter and they hand you food. We SO need these in the US!

Ok, so back on the road we’re back in the Wagon-Queen Family Truckster cruising along the countryside singing Holiday Road (ok, we weren’t singing and we were in a manual transmission Ford Fiesta without cruise control. You’re free to pick the better visual from those two). Then we come to a roundabout and find this:

No explanation. Just a chair in the middle of a roundabout in the middle of nowhere. It’s not like we were in the middle of a chair-producing metropolis or anything. I had to make 2 or 3 laps just to get the proper photo out the driver’s window.

Moving along…. did I mention it was Sunday? We drove through some wonderful looking little towns that were seemingly deserted. All we could figure is that it was because it was Sunday. Same thing on our first day in France driving through Normandy. Every small town was essentially closed down. Loved some of these places though.

After meandering through the countryside, then sitting in Paris traffic for a while (it turns out all of the people that weren’t in those towns were actually in Paris sitting in traffic) we made it back to our hotel just before dark. We stayed at the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche. Very nice for the price (free as I was using Marriott points). The next task: return the rental car

I picked a rental car company (National) knowing that there was a drop-off a mere mile from the hotel. Down the road, a couple of turns, oh nuts, we need to fill the tank first, a couple more turns, find gas, pull out, miss a turn, get back on track, one final roundabout….WHAT? No, I don’t want AUTRE DIRECTIONS!! I don’t want anywhere other than about 100 yards from where I currently am! I just want to find the right one of these stinking roads to turn onto and get rid of this bloody car!! UGH!! Finally we found it, ditched the car and happily rode the Metro the remainder of our trip.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #68
D C
Add-on Aficionado

By this point it was dark. Do we have time to make it to the Eiffel Tower (once we figure out how to get there)? Oh sure, why not! We had planned to go to the top of the tower after dark to get a good view of the lights of the city. As it turns out though, we had only enough time to get to the tower and ALMOST to the front of the line to buy tickets before they stopped selling tickets for the night. Nuts. Oh well. Still saw it from the ground.

Next up.... Art, Archs, Ponts, and Parrotheads in Paris!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #69
AnnaS
Grand Villa

So I see you found a latrine too

Great pictures of course!
May 2019 - OKW

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #70
nevada
Two Bedroom

Honestly, some of these pictures are just breathtaking!
nevada is offline   Reply With Quote