home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Default Who made the decision to buy DVC?

I really enjoy reading the posts on here about others experiences with DVC. I've gotten some great advice about where to buy, current fair market price, etc. Reading a few posts recently has made me wonder, who made the decision to buy your DVC contract? I think most families here have at least 1 extreme Disney fan, and others who love it, but not quite on the same level. So, were you the driving force behind the purchase? Did your spouse/partner talk you into it? Did you buy it without telling anyone else? (That sounds worse than it really is). Maybe a combination of the above? Just thought I would pose the question and see what everyone else did...

I'll start. I am definitely the addict in my family. I had flirted with the idea of buying for quite some time, but knew that DH did not look kindly on timeshares. Besides, the kids were into too many activities for us to take frequent vacations so far from home. We have a 15 hour drive to the World. When I decided that I was ready to take the plunge, I started reading everything I could find on MO about the pros and cons of each resort, reasonable offering prices, etc. I struggled for weeks before I made an offer on our home resort. Then the agonizing process of ROFR, waiting to close, waiting for points, you get the picture. I did not tell DH any of this, because I was buying the contract for our 25 wedding anniversary. If I could have gotten his name on the membership without him signing anything, he wouldn't have known until we checked in to our new "home". The actual conversation went something like this...

Me: I need for you to come by the hospital this afternoon before 7. Bring your drivers license inside with you.

DH: Why?

Me: Deborah is a notary and she is working today. She'll need your drivers license to notarize the paperwork.

DH: What paperwork?

ME: Happy Anniversary! I love you! We just bought a Disney Vacation Club contract! Isn't our home resort amazing? I knew that it was your favorite...

He signed the contract. Happy wife, happy life. On our trip, he spent 3 hours strolling around WL taking pictures of the resort to send to his buddies back home.

After I showed him the concept art for the SW hotel experience, I warned him that we might need to look for another contract at BCV/BWV within the next two years. Because, once Star Wars Land opens, those resorts will be impossible to get into unless you own there. He agreed that we probably needed to look at that. Green light to shop!
Old 04-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

This was over 13 years ago so not sure exactly how it happened. I traveled to Disney a bunch by myself (I had vacation and he didn't) or with friends and some of them were DVC owners. They let me read up on things and I realized all those $129-149/night rooms at the Swan I was getting would be gone soon. So we talked about it, worked math out and eventually decided to get a contract at OKW - nearly did BCV but OKW was so much cheaper at the time.

So I found the contract I wanted and we paid for it. Of course sexist Disney lists his name first even though mine was originally first (alphabetically too darn it) and he gets all the stuff sent to him, but it was mostly me.

When we did the add on a few years ago I had the money and I paid for it so it was all on me. My husband didn't really care. We're talking about a smaller add on at BCV or BWV, but again it will come from me money wise. I am not sure it will be impossible to get in once Star Wars opens but it would be easier for sure. We'll take the time on our next trip in just over a month to look at both and I'll decide if it is worth it or not. We really love a lot of different resorts and while DHS will become a must do park, I am not sure it will be a huge draw for us.

We have really enjoyed our 13 year ownership though and have stayed all over in almost all room types out there (including bungalows). It's really been a smart move on our part because we couldn't have gone as much or stayed in such large accommodations if we hadn't.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

Our story kind of started a couple of years ago - we always thought we couldn't really afford a trip to Disney, then my mom rented a big house offsite, and let us stay for free, and even gave us some money for the trip. How could we refuse that? We loved it and wanted to go back, but that 10-12 hour car trip was a big hurdle...

Fast forward to last year when I had a good sales year & we decided to book another trip, and even convinced my wife to fly for the first time in her life. She lived through the flight, enjoyed the trip even more staying onsite (and not riding in the car all that time!!), and we were pretty much hooked.

We had short discussions about DVC, but at first I had a hard time finding out any details of how it worked. One day at the office, I finally started finding the details in my searches, and it really looked promising...especially the resale market, which was the selling point for me. I went home that night, gave her a 30 second explanation of how the point system worked, and we started shopping.

During the next month, we changed our ideas of how many points we wanted and which resort to choose, and finally made an offer on one. We closed this week, and are not very anxious to get access to the reservation system so we can book our first stay for this fall!

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:11 PM   #4
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
Our story kind of started a couple of years ago - we always thought we couldn't really afford a trip to Disney, then my mom rented a big house offsite, and let us stay for free, and even gave us some money for the trip. How could we refuse that? We loved it and wanted to go back, but that 10-12 hour car trip was a big hurdle...

Fast forward to last year when I had a good sales year & we decided to book another trip, and even convinced my wife to fly for the first time in her life. She lived through the flight, enjoyed the trip even more staying onsite (and not riding in the car all that time!!), and we were pretty much hooked.

We had short discussions about DVC, but at first I had a hard time finding out any details of how it worked. One day at the office, I finally started finding the details in my searches, and it really looked promising...especially the resale market, which was the selling point for me. I went home that night, gave her a 30 second explanation of how the point system worked, and we started shopping.

During the next month, we changed our ideas of how many points we wanted and which resort to choose, and finally made an offer on one. We closed this week, and are not very anxious to get access to the reservation system so we can book our first stay for this fall!
Fingers crossed that you get access to those points soon! I also flew for the first time in 2015, appropriately medicated. Just booked tickets for another solo trip in 25 days... Who knew Disney could fix my fear of flying? Something about getting on a plane and being in Orlando 2 hours later is magical!
Old 04-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

I was the one who decided -- a story I never never get tired of telling.
We made our first trip to WDW in 1992, staying at the Polynesian. I noticed a DVC desk in the lobby and was disgusted that Disney was getting into the timeshare business.

By 2001 our children were 8 and 5, and we decided it was time for a family vacation. We spent 4 nights at the Polynesian followed by a 3-night DCL cruise. We had a great time and tentatively planned to go back the next year.

I had planned extensively for that vacation, spending a lot of time on a certain online discussion board, reading guidebooks, etc. At one point we visited Beach Club to eat at Beaches and Cream, and I thought that Beach Club would be a great place to stay in 2002. I couldn't help but notice they were building BCV, so I decided to take a serious look at DVC. People online had very positive things to say about it, so in Jun 2002 I bought at BCV shortly before it opened. We made annual family trips in early December for several years until our children got too old to take out of school.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #6
ggatorgirl
Two Bedroom

Long long ago.....

It was around 1990 and our girls were 8 and 11. We had been to Wisconsin Dells and for those of you from the Midwest, you know that means being nickled and dimed to death to get into water parks, Fairytale Land, Storybook Park, etc. Every meal we ate out seemed like it cost $100. We were spending outrageous amounts of 1990 $$$$ for mediocre attractions and worse food.

We were in Disney for summer vacation the next year and heard about the Vacation Club. Came home, researched it and called them. We figured if anyone could do Timeshares right, it was Disney. We could get a 'home' with a kitchen for breakfasts and a quality entertainment experience for years to come. But, they were not yet licensed to sell in Illinois, so we got on a waitlist.

In 1992, I saw a news article about Disney being licensed to sell their new concept in Illinois. Called Disney, got the minimum number of points for OKW (230) and signed up over the phone. Of course the Guide asked if we had read the prospectus (wink, wink), we answered 'Yes' (wink, wink), gave him a credit card and became the first DVCers in Illinois.

Best decision we ever made. We are taking our grandkids now (in addition to Adult trips) and enjoying it as much as we did 25 years ago.

ggatorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #7
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

ggatorgirl....been there, done that with being five and dimed to death at Wisconsin Dells.....I get it!

For us, years back when the boys were 7 and 9, we discovered Disney through going with our friends. Was scheduled to stay at CBR, but a week before our arrival, Disney called and moved us to AKL seeing CBR's food court was going to be closed for refurb (they saw a medical listed with my Son having type 1 diabetes and figured it was important for us to have easy access to food). So impressed with Disney from that point forward and fell absolutely in love with AKV Jambo! Fast forward to 2009, we were living in IL and I was missing Disney. Hubby took me on a field trip to Woodfield Mall which had Doorway to Dreams, a Disney Timeshare store, just for fun. Next thing I know, he's looking at me asking if what they were offering was a good deal (I'm the finance person of the couple!) as it sounded good to him. Yup, BLT for $96 a point plus developer points, that was a great deal. Took him talking to me all through lunch to get me to realize life is short and to not be so frugal. Came home with 160 points.

And, yes, even though he told our CM that it was a gift for me, and that it's mine, they listed his name first too and he gets all the correspondence. Still bugs me!!!
WDWGoof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #8
bubster
Grand Villa

In September 2008 our youngest DD and her husband took the tour and spoke with a guide about DVC. The rest of the family were shocked that they would take time out of their vacation to do something so silly. Well, not all of us, oldest DD had previously looked into DVC by requesting literature on it. After taking the tour and digesting all the info they decided that they could not justify a purchase at that point in time.

The next year, September 2009 we were staying at Port Orleans French Quarter, traveling with DD, son-in-law and his parents. They had decided to pull the trigger on a DVC purchase and we're going to the Preview Center to finalize the deal. They asked if we wanted to come along, we initially said no thanks but our curiosity got the better of us and we went. Honestly I think I just just nosy and wanted to see what they were getting roped into. I made it abundantly clear that we were not interested and don't even bother to try to "sell" us.

The guide took us through the models, we were impressed and intrigued....then I got my hands on the actual $ figures, something I had never been able to access before, DH and I looked at each other and said "We can do this".

The product sold itself and the guide sold 2 210 contracts at BLT that day. He joked with us that we would probably go home, change our minds and call to rescind. The joke was on him because not only did we not change our minds, we both added on.

Edited to say that we will be at BLT in 3 weeks with DD and her family sharing a 2 bedroom. As for the decision, I blame the kids because they chose to buy first and we merely tagged along. We are in this together.

Last edited by bubster; 04-21-2017 at 07:47 PM.
bubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #9
jsweeney
One Bedroom

It was definitely me. I grew up going to WDW (only a 2 hour drive door to door growing up). Met DW in college and took her to visit in January. She had only been once before with her family when she was like 9. I get all in to the Disney spirit when I'm there. We were camping at FW, and while in the parks, I saw the DVC booths and was intrigued, but didn't talk about it to anyone. My parents have had a timeshare since before I was born, and we used it at least twice per year, so I was well accustomed to getting full value out of something like that.

I started doing DVC research once we got home, knowing that once we have kids, we (I) will want to raise them with my same Disney passion. Number crunching wasn't that important, because I had all of you to explain it all to me but I was able to easily impart my DVC excitement to DW just based on having a place to escape when we go to visit my parents
2007: Boardwalk GV
2007-2011: Annual trips to Night of Joy
2010: Port Orleans to run Disney Half Marathon
2014: Day trip to all parks with siblings
Jan. 2017: Fort Wilderness w/DW for first time
Jan. 2018: VGC - first trip to DL!

Me: Jimmy , DW
jsweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #10
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

So not holding out for Star Wars DVC? Happy shopping!!!!

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote