home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Question of the Month
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #251
Kayhollywood
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
I prefer the standard view at VGF over the Lake View.

Our first standard view we overlooked the fountain between the villas and the main building. To the right we could see the beach area and more of the main building and to the left we could see the monorail as it pulled in to the VGF stop.

Our VGF Lake views we could see the wedding pavilion, the Polynesian and the water. I would not spend the extra points for Lake View if I could get the standard view.

We own at BLT as well, and there we prefer the Lake View. Theme Park view gives you a lot of parking lot before you see the MK. With the Lake View you can see all activities on the lake, including parasailing, watching the ferry when it comes in in the morning, etc. We always choose that over the TP view.
Perfect...thanks so much! We just bought VGF so this is our first trip using pts. I was leaning towards BLT lake view to save the 37 pts. You just convinced me
Old 03-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #252
Jedimom3
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
Thanks for the info and for the OP of this question. I just realized I passed ROFR. yippee! now in a studio, so I better get to posting more to move on up.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:13 PM   #253
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdcholakian View Post
If you are staying at one resort, can you go and dine in another one?
Or merely take a tour around the grounds of it just to know how it is?
Yes, you can visit any other resort to dine, shop or just look around.

Some resorts have limited parking, so during extremely busy times you may be turned away from the parking lot if you don't have room or dining reservation at the that resort.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #254
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdcholakian View Post
Hello everyone!!
I'm new here at the forums!
Planning my first trip to WDW as an adult (last time I went there was in 1999 when I was 9yo, so I didn't have to plan a thing)...

I've been reading a lot and have one VERY STUPID QUESTION:

If you are staying at one resort, can you go and dine in another one?
Or merely take a tour around the grounds of it just to know how it is?

Thanks!!
Absolutely! DH and I have even done a couple of trips where we didn't have park tickets, we just hung around our resort and for a change of scenery we resort-hopped. A few things to keep in mind -
If you want to dine at most any WDW Table Service restaurants, you need to get a reservation. The window opens at 180 days from the first day of your stay and many restaurants book up at the 180 days mark - so be sure to get a reservation.
If you want to visit other resorts, it is generally best to use Disney Transportation. Some of the resorts will not allow you to park at the resort unless you are staying there. You can use any method of Disney transportation regardless of where you are staying. You can use any park or Disney Springs as hubs for going from one resort to the next. In addition to the buses, many resorts are accessible via boat or monorail. If you have particular resorts you want to visit, I would suggest coming back here and letting us know which ones. People here can help you come up with a good plan to make most efficient use of the transportation options. Some Cast Members can give you good advice about getting from one place to the next, but I wouldn't recommend waiting until you get there to ask. I've heard too many times where CMs gave guests what seems like the longest way to get from one place to the next. If you find yourself in a situation when you are already at the parks and need to know the best way to get from one place to another, I would ask at least 3 CMs and make sure you get consistent answers. (Honestly, I'd probably just take a smart phone and pop back on here and ask )
Unless you are a DVC member, you will not be able to use the pools at other resorts. Some pools (like Storm Along Bay at Becah/Yacht Club), you can't even go in and look around unless you are staying there. The good news is that the pool bars are all located outside the gates, so even if you can't get into a particular pool, you can still hang out at the pool bar and grab a beverage and/or something to eat.
A fun and inexpensive thing to do as you are resort hopping is to look for the penny press machines. Each resort has penny press machines with different characters. If you Google it, there are a few websites with information about where to find them. You can also just wander into a resort and ask a greeter, BS, or someone at the front desk.

Enjoy your trip!

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

Old 03-23-2017, 05:36 PM   #255
jsweeney
One Bedroom

I've got a scenario. Let's say I own points at 2 different resorts. If I book at, say, BLT at the 11 month booking window, once I get inside the 7 month window, can I switch which points I use to use points from a different resort? Bought a contract with 100 banked points and trying to figure that out.
2007: Boardwalk GV
2007-2011: Annual trips to Night of Joy
2010: Port Orleans to run Disney Half Marathon
2014: Day trip to all parks with siblings
Jan. 2017: Fort Wilderness w/DW for first time
Jan. 2018: VGC - first trip to DL!

Me: Jimmy , DW
Old 03-23-2017, 05:48 PM   #256
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweeney View Post
I've got a scenario. Let's say I own points at 2 different resorts. If I book at, say, BLT at the 11 month booking window, once I get inside the 7 month window, can I switch which points I use to use points from a different resort? Bought a contract with 100 banked points and trying to figure that out.
If the room is still available at 7 months, yes you can swap out the points. If the room is not available at 7 months, then no you cannot swap out the points I.E. The points you own at the other resort have no advantage over anyone else at 7 months. If another non-BLT owner can't book that room at 7 months, then your non-BLT points can't be used for that room at 7 months.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:36 PM   #257
beemertec
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
Thanks! I couldn't find that.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:49 PM   #258
Adelard of Bath
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
The good news is that the pool bars are all located outside the gates, so even if you can't get into a particular pool, you can still hang out at the pool bar and grab a beverage and/or something to eat.
Enjoy your trip!
This December I was walking around the Poly because I wanted to try the fish tacos at the new pool bar...well I found it but it was inside the fence around the DVC pool...I walked around the fence a couple times and I could see the bar and the food window, but they weren't on the outside! My magicband didn't let me in, either. The place was a ghost town...but some people came and I followed them in

Nobody got mad at me for following them in

I understand about keeping out people who aren't staying there...but like I said, the place was a ghost town, and I dropped $20 on fish tacos and a Painkiller hee hee

They were good

But the point is, I couldn't get in.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #259
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
This December I was walking around the Poly because I wanted to try the fish tacos at the new pool bar...well I found it but it was inside the fence around the DVC pool...I walked around the fence a couple times and I could see the bar and the food window, but they weren't on the outside! My magicband didn't let me in, either. The place was a ghost town...but some people came and I followed them in

Nobody got mad at me for following them in

I understand about keeping out people who aren't staying there...but like I said, the place was a ghost town, and I dropped $20 on fish tacos and a Painkiller hee hee

They were good

But the point is, I couldn't get in.
Oh, I forgot about Poly. There is outdoor seating for the QS right outside the pool though.
Honestly, now that I think about it, the last time we did the resort hopping/pool bar visiting thing all the fences may not have been up yet. That was probably bad advice. Thanks for the reminder!

Old 03-24-2017, 01:10 PM   #260
newtothemousehouse
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Following up on dumb question

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothemousehouse View Post
We are headed to SSR and AKV for Spring Break and have friends who have a timeshare (Non-Disney) in Orlando and will be there at the same time. Can someone enlighten me as to whether we can have friends over to our resorts for things like the pool parties, outdoor movies, and fire pits? Thanks.
I haven't seen any responses to this post, so was wondering if anyone has any insight....