home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Adult Travelers - Singles, Couples, DINKS
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Does Walt Disney World Need More Adult Only Venues ?
Yes. It's time Disney took us Adults seriously and catered to our needs 45 33.58%
Yes. Although I do love drinking my beer next to the kid with the sippy cup 14 10.45%
No. Disney provides plenty of Adult Only locations. Seek and You will Find. 64 47.76%
No. Silly Rabbit Disney is for Kids 15 11.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #11
reblzmom
Grand Villa

No, I don't think its necessary. There are places to go, and I agree with BRP - if that is the thrust of your vacation, chose another spot.

Question on the comment on Trader Sam's....I didn't know this is for 21 and over. I clearly remember sitting at the tall tale in the center across from a man and his young son.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #12
anne122679
One Bedroom

As per Jerry Seinfeld there is good naked and bad naked, and clothing optional tends to bring out the bad naked.

I think that conversations about whether or not children should be allowed in certain areas or if Disney needs more kid free zones would be rare if people used common sense and were courteous towards others while on vacation. No one wants to be around kids who are running amuck while the parents aren't making an effort to control the situation. My kids are 7 & 4 and they don't like being around those kids either. Disney is not cheap, and it's frustrating having a dining experience be less than stellar due to unruly children. On our last trip while we were eating, a kid at the table next to us intentionally threw his milkshake, and it almost hit my son. The parents made no effort to correct the child or clean up his mess. The child was old enough to know better, so it wasn't as if a two year old did it. We'll bring our kids out to the quiet pool in the evenings because I don't want to deal with kids who aren't being supervised. We'll stay out with them until about 9 and then leave so the adults can enjoy kid free time. As for lounges, if you want to bring your kids with you, go early and don't bring strollers with you. Kids don't need to be in lounges later on in the evening when there are lots of adults wanting to enjoy the facility, especially at a place like Trader Sam's where there's not a lot of room to begin with.
anne122679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #13
jmark
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay324 View Post

Even though I travel now exclusively with my kids in tow, it would be nice if there were more places that were 21 and over. Wouldn't it be great if all the lounges (TOWL, Bellvue, Misner's, etc.) would implement a 21 and over policy after say 10:00 so adults can have some time without all the little ones. It's not just so people can have an adult beverage without the kids. These lounges serve light fare, desserts, coffee and tea and I think many adults would love to turn it to 21 and over to create a more relaxed adult atmosphere to have that late night dessert or last cup of tea without having any kids around.
Since I don't usually go to the lounges as almost all of our trips are family trips, I have to ask- do people bring their kids to the lounges other than TOWL? I'm no teetotaler and will usually get a drink during dinner but I can't imagine taking my kids to one of the lounges (other than TOWL during the fireworks) ever. They would be bored out of their minds and it would not be pleasant for me. If I want a drink with BH late at night, thats what Wegoshop and the balcony are for.

If someone really needed a drink that badly that you have to take your kids with you to a lounge late at night, I would be giving a massive skunk eye to anyone who had their kid at one of the lounges past 10 PM (except TOWL because I get the lure of the fireworks). So I guess Jay, I wouldn't have a problem with what you suggest, I'm just wondering if it really is a problem that needs a fix.
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #14
bakerworld
Grand Villa

IMO, its not that Disney needs more adult venues - it needs parents who are invested. Yes, I realize it's the parents vacation also but those kids won't be that age forever so 'patience is a virtue' and see you in 10 or access the 'sitter' options. I would NOT recommend that you wait for your kids to fall asleep and then leave them - I know people/relatives who have done.

We were so totally excited by our first post-21 kids visit. We could visit all those venues that we'd been walking past, wishing we could stop. It's so cool not to need to make ADR's - frankly, I never knew you could just walk up to the bar, get seated and eat. Guess I shouldn't mention the 25 pounds I've gained over the last 10 years. (Yes, that picture to the left is about 5 years old and that bicep is not from exercise.)
Old 12-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #15
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark View Post
Since I don't usually go to the lounges as almost all of our trips are family trips, I have to ask- do people bring their kids to the lounges other than TOWL? I'm no teetotaler and will usually get a drink during dinner but I can't imagine taking my kids to one of the lounges (other than TOWL during the fireworks) ever. They would be bored out of their minds and it would not be pleasant for me. If I want a drink with BH late at night, thats what Wegoshop and the balcony are for.

If someone really needed a drink that badly that you have to take your kids with you to a lounge late at night, I would be giving a massive skunk eye to anyone who had their kid at one of the lounges past 10 PM (except TOWL because I get the lure of the fireworks). So I guess Jay, I wouldn't have a problem with what you suggest, I'm just wondering if it really is a problem that needs a fix.

Yes, some people take their kids to the lounges.
I've seen so many kids sitting on bar stools at the various bars around WDW that I have grown numb to it. It's not just WDW either, you'll see the same thing on cruise ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
IMO, its not that Disney needs more adult venues - it needs parents who are invested. Yes, I realize it's the parents vacation also but those kids won't be that age forever so 'patience is a virtue' and see you in 10 or access the 'sitter' options.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #16
meeskamooska
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
Oooohhhh, I like that idea about the adult only hot tub. When we were growing up, it was an unwritten rule, no kids in the hot tub, allowing for the adults having some adult time, letting the kids know there is something to look forward to when they grow up. Now days, hot tubs are not relaxing with the kids splashing in and out all the time. (Please, none of the Disney is for kids chat, I understand that.....it just would be nice and another little resort perk.)
For years I wouldn't let my kids in the hot tubs because I felt they should be an adult space, but then every time I sat down into one some kid or another would jump in. I finally gave up and let my kids in, but with rules such as this is not a pool- Sit quietly and enjoy the jets or get out and If the hot tub is full of adults having a conversation they can't go in. I don't mind the kids. I mind the parents who don't teach their kids to behave in an adult space.

I don't really think Disney needs more adult spaces because there really are lounges/bars all over the place, I just think they need to hold parents to a certain level of accountability if they bring their kids into them. Maybe some more signs talking about being respectful of the other patrons or something like that. If kids are being disruptive in an adult environment, the parents should be asked to leave-and yes I get that this will never happen but it should- The bar in the Jambo lodge is a favorite of ours and since we don't bring babysitters with us the kids have to come along with us, but I expect my children watch their behavior if they are in an adult space. Disney might be for kids but kids need to learn to live in the real world. So I bring the kids a snack and activity to keep them busy, order them a drink with a glow cube (who doesn't love those) along with my 13$ Disney mojito and make my kids behave, if they can't then I leave. I feel like when I grew up this was just the way it is.
meeskamooska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #17
cedel47
Studio

I vote we need more.

I miss the Comedy & Adventurers Club from Downtown Disney.
cedel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #18
Ransom
Grand Villa

WDW needs more venues to be 'adult only,' in the sense that it would be nice if all the Signatures could be "Disney Adult" only (that is, age 10+; like V&A is). It would also be nice if those restaurants all enforced a reasonable dress code (business casual or thereabouts).

As for 21+? Nah. Not needed.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #19
aznosredna
Two Bedroom

I think something for the teen crowd would be more inline than 21+ nightlife.
aznosredna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #20
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

I did a lot of my travels to Disney as an adult with no kids. I never felt the need for more 21+ even after the night clubs at Downtown Disney closed. As an adult with kids, I wish there were more easy babysitting though. The clubs are fine but not always convenient to some of our dining locations