home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 05:24 PM   #31
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

At the 7 month mark you can book any resort. Home resort only matters when you want to book in your owner window between 11 & 7 months.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Tuesday, 12/26/17 - Saturday, 12/30/17 - BLT
Saturday, 12/30/17 - Sunday, 01/07/18 - VGF (Running 1st 1/2 Marathon - 01/06/18)
Wednesday, 06/27/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #32
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christwo View Post
We got an offer accepted on an SSR contract going to be signing later today. I'm concerned about RoFR though, Disney tends to buy back contracts at a low price per dollar correct? Or is it truly just random. If this falls through next time we will offer more dollars per point.

Best of luck with ROFR!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:36 AM   #33
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Yes resale is still worth it IMO, however, I think new buyers should purchase direct first, then look to resale for add-ons if they are in need of the perks. I think the smaller resale contracts will maintain a premium especially with the new 75 point minimum.

However, those who are not anxious for the immediate perks, should look to resale first, then slowly add on 25 points as time and finances allow.

When we first purchased, I did not use any of the perks, we purchased our tickets 10 day park hoppers from AAA and would have a couple of resort days. Then we started t take advantage of the Disney YES program discounted tickets - one of the best programs imo, that they have more or less disbanded due to dropping the discounts. For those not familiar with the YES program, Disney offered fun educational behind the scenes guides for kids and in return, kids and all in party would Get discounted tickets. My kids loved these classes, and looked forward to it every year. When they eliminated the discount tickets, we then purchased the AP pass (only because they were running the 399 deal), I called to register the kids for the YES classes - but ...I still would have had to purchase a park ticket in addition to the class despite buying an AP. -

Anyway...sorry to be so long winded but it depends what people are looking for - I think many on initial purchase are not looking or thinking of the perks- but if you are then buy direct first, if not resale first. Both now have to work together. It also depends what you are looking for - Buy resale, then add on 25 points at Vero 25 (cheapest) ssr, and 25 ccc - or any combination of the resorts. By purchasing resale first, one has access to purchasing the 25 point contracts which can be divided up however you wish. for a total of 75

Last edited by pooh bears mom; 02-14-2018 at 09:23 AM.
pooh bears mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #34
MagicAllAroundUs
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh bears mom View Post

Buy SSR either direct or resale. Or buy SSR 75 direct then think about resale later.
This is exactly what I would do at this junction, unless you are buying points before February 24, 2018. Then I would just buy 50 at the WDW Resort that has the smallest gap between resale vs direct prices, then buy a significant number of SSR points.

There are ways to make your SSR points more “valuable.” Here is one example: If your current points is for, say 50 points with a December 2019 UY, you could use your direct BLT/Polynesian (or whatever premium resort is “hotter”) to book rooms in (just an example) January/February, set aside 50 of your SSR resale points from the same UY towards that reservation come June/July, then bank your December direct points.

1990, 1992, 1994, 1998, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017

Home Resorts: BWV, BCV, AKV, SSR, BLT, PVB
MagicAllAroundUs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #35
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Anyone that is considering buying a DVC contract to get the perks of direct purchase, after purchasing a resale. I would call a get a contract for the minimum points required to get the benefits and sit on it for a few weeks. If you decided in March to go forward, the points will count because your contract is dated prior to the increase.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #36
hilaw
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Anyone that is considering buying a DVC contract to get the perks of direct purchase, after purchasing a resale. I would call a get a contract for the minimum points required to get the benefits and sit on it for a few weeks. If you decided in March to go forward, the points will count because your contract is dated prior to the increase.

very good suggestion.
I might add, you mean at 25 points.
hilaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #37
rowrbazzle
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
How long do you have to back-out?
Old 02-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #38
MagicAllAroundUs
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaw View Post
very good suggestion.
I might add, you mean at 25 points.
Well, assuming OP hasn't actually bought resale yet, they would have to buy 50 points. They can only buy 25 points if they've already bought into DVC previously (through resale or otherwise). Even if they started now, it wouldn't likely not close before February 24, 2018.

1990, 1992, 1994, 1998, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017

Home Resorts: BWV, BCV, AKV, SSR, BLT, PVB
MagicAllAroundUs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #39
Christwo
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Our contract just went into ROFR officially. It is for 250 points SSR April use year $90/PP. At that price I can actually pay cash for it, so I'm thinking about calling Disney today to see what they have for me for 50 points.

We have been traveling to Disney a lot without DVC, so I have been paying out of pocket. My only concern is the direct benefits, and the fact they have changed so dramatically within the last few years don't necessarily seem like "the best value." Unless I am missing something major, I would be spending lets say $180/PP for Disney direct SSR (I have no idea if this is actually how much it costs) At that rate, I would be paying $9,000 for 50 points vs the $22,500 for 250 points.

Currently I wouldn't be taking advantage of Moonlight madness my daughter is only 2. As for the AP renewal discount, that is only a savings of $300 a year over the current rates I have. The platinum AP also gives me the dining discounts. Is there some benefit I'm missing besides not having a DVC card for pins? I am pin trading guy so I would enjoy that aspect.
Christwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #40
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christwo View Post
Our contract just went into ROFR officially. It is for 250 points SSR April use year $90/PP. At that price I can actually pay cash for it, so I'm thinking about calling Disney today to see what they have for me for 50 points.

We have been traveling to Disney a lot without DVC, so I have been paying out of pocket. My only concern is the direct benefits, and the fact they have changed so dramatically within the last few years don't necessarily seem like "the best value." Unless I am missing something major, I would be spending lets say $180/PP for Disney direct SSR (I have no idea if this is actually how much it costs) At that rate, I would be paying $9,000 for 50 points vs the $22,500 for 250 points.

Currently I wouldn't be taking advantage of Moonlight madness my daughter is only 2. As for the AP renewal discount, that is only a savings of $300 a year over the current rates I have. The platinum AP also gives me the dining discounts. Is there some benefit I'm missing besides not having a DVC card for pins? I am pin trading guy so I would enjoy that aspect.
The biggest perk with some monetary value is the AP discount and the ability to purchase the Gold AP which otherwise is only available to FL residents. It has some blackout dates but if you don't visit during the blackout dates (around Christmas/New Years and around Easter) then it's the biggest savings - currently around $276 savings per adult pass vs not having qualified points and buying a Platinum AP. The more people in the family the more savings and also it depends on if it even pays to buy an AP. With the AP prices increases it now it would require a stay of more than 10 days or else multiple trips in a year to make an AP worthwhile vs buying a park hopper.

I don't think the $100 discount or so off a Platinum AP offered to DVC is worth buying direct for anymore.

Another note - the Gold AP offering for DVC is new as of a couple years ago and it's always a possibility that would go away for DVC. It may stay, but Disney has slowly been making changes with the AP offerings and it's difficult to say what they might move to when some of their new areas open up.

For your calculations the current direct price on SSR is $151/pt.