home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > "Mick"-boxing (a.k.a. The Exercise Forum)
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
Kickapoo Joie Juice
DVC Board Guide

Default ChEAR Squad worth it?

Hey everyone, my BFF is running in the half marathon next month and I'm going with her as her cheering squad (because I only run if something is chasing me).

Is the ChEAR squad gold worth it for $65? Do I really need a cowbell? Does the ChEAR squad get to see things/do things that the normies don't? Is there special transportation for the squad? Will Taylor Swift be there?

TIA
Kickapoo Joie Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

We were down there in support of our daughter running the Dopey a few weeks ago. We did not do the cheer squad and for at least the way we did the spectating it didn't seem like we were missing much.

They have a swag bag and the only bleachers on the finish line, the public ones would have been back on the course side by maybe 50 yards. They also had the viewing area directly in front of the castle reserved but there was open viewing off to the side or from the middle of circle. There was also good viewing at the TTC, and down main street. I don't believe they had special viewing of the start.

Our daughter runs 12min miles and this was the plan that worked well for us (assuming they run the same course):

We walked to view the start although they don't let us get very close to the actual start, we were about 0.25 mile away.

After she went by at the start we walked quickly to the Monorail and went to the TTC. Watched her run through the TTC then took the Monorail** to the MK. After that we took the Monorail back to EPCOT to watch her run by the golf ball and then to the finish tents to meet back up with her.

They did not require a ticket for entry into the MK but do for entry into EPCOT. Again this was based on a 12min mile pace, if your friend is faster you may not be able to stay in front of them as easy. I would suggest you and your friend download one of the tracking apps (we use "Find My Friend") so that you can monitor their progress. Run Disney offers tracking by sending you text messages but we have found these to often come in late.

**Note: The second day we got screwed up because the monorail kept stopping due to people leaning on the doors, if this is still happening I would probably take the ferry across.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:18 AM   #3
Ludwig von Chuck
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickapoo Joie Juice View Post
Hey everyone, my BFF is running in the half marathon next month and I'm going with her as her cheering squad (because I only run if something is chasing me).

Is the ChEAR squad gold worth it for $65? Do I really need a cowbell? Does the ChEAR squad get to see things/do things that the normies don't? Is there special transportation for the squad? Will Taylor Swift be there?

TIA
Gold is not worth it. The swag is fun, but the special viewing areas are not that special.

Nov 76: PVR for my 8th BD
Mar 78: FW in our Winnebego for a week
79 to 85: Moved to Tampa, FL; about once per year day trip
Jun 83: FW in pop-up for 5 days
85 to 93: Graduated HS; continued annual tradition
93 to 02: Started a family; used FL resident discount for day trips

Aug 02: Moved to KS; no more day trips
Jun 04: CR for a week
Sep 06: WL for a week (free DDP)
Aug 08: PORS for a week
Dec 09: VWL for the perfect Christmas
Oct 10: AKV for MNSSHP
Jun 11: OKW for 9 days
Jan 12: Disney Magic to Western Caribbean
Mar 13: BCV for Flower and Garden Festival
Aug 14: THV for 12 days
Dec 15: VWL for Christmas
Sep 16: BLT for Food and Wine Fest
Ludwig von Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #4
Kickapoo Joie Juice
DVC Board Guide

I ended up getting the gold-will report back after next weekend how it went. I decided I would pay $68 for hot cocoa and a guaranteed potty

Our plan that day is to go into MK after the race, and we didn't get the hopper option, so I'll probably skip the EPCOT part

I also designed this T shirt to cheer her on (her last name is Bay, so there's the built in pun):

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rob...t&style=womens
Kickapoo Joie Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #5
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickapoo Joie Juice View Post
I ended up getting the gold-will report back after next weekend how it went. I decided I would pay $68 for hot cocoa and a guaranteed potty

Our plan that day is to go into MK after the race, and we didn't get the hopper option, so I'll probably skip the EPCOT part

I also designed this T shirt to cheer her on (her last name is Bay, so there's the built in pun):

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rob...t&style=womens

Gusranteed potty alone can be worth a lot more than $68...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote