home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-03-2019, 09:05 PM   #31
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeokw56 View Post
To your point...
A nearby course actually offers a membership discount for folks UNDER 55. That's the first time I've ever seen a discount for being younger instead of being older.
Our country club offers a significantly reduced junior golf membership for ages 30 and under; and regular golf membership for ages 40 and over. I'm not sure what happens if you want to join when you're between the ages of 31-39!

A neighboring club practically gives memberships away to anyone 20 and under, and if a youth member has an adult (21+) join them on the membership, the adult membership is nearly half of what it would be to join without the youth member.
2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:08 PM   #32
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri jo View Post
Our country club offers a significantly reduced junior golf membership for ages 30 and under; and regular golf membership for ages 40 and over. I'm not sure what happens if you want to join when you're between the ages of 31-39!

A neighboring club practically gives memberships away to anyone 20 and under, and if a youth member has an adult (21+) join them on the membership, the adult membership is nearly half of what it would be to join without the youth member.
If only that was the norm back when I was younger! Nope - full price. However they were building golf courses anywhere they could at that time.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:49 AM   #33
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
This....

I have done a bunch of work for Golf Courses the past 5 years. I hear the same things over and over, that the younger generation just doesn't play golf like previous generations. A lot of the Clubs have been forced to add non-golf stuff to attract the younger generation.

There have been over 800 golf course closures in the past 10 years. Actual golf playing is down 20-25% and is still declining.
Some of the problem is over supply during late 90s early 2000s. The “tiger effect” was expected to bring in a lot more golfers than it actually did.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:55 AM   #34
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri jo View Post

My problem is that the new trend is that the clubs do not provide any equity in the clubs. I joined a nice one here in houston when I was 30. I paid $16500 initiation fee and monthly dues were $275 a month for me and wife. Considering a round of golf there was about $100, it was a decent deal (the course was nice and home to houston open).

Fast forward two years, new management came in and jacked up the monthly dues. Started having to pay close to $500 a month just 5 years later.

Add in I had two kids during this time and I was lucky to play once a month.

I ended up canceling the membership and just eating that initiation fee.

There’s a very exclusive club near my house and I considered joining it while I was under 40, but it too does not give equity. And they want $70k to join. I know people ha e money, but damn. That is literally just money pissed away.

And people bitch about DVC?
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote