home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-06-2022, 02:07 PM   #21
JimP
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
I HATE HATE HATE the use of QR codes as a supposed substitute for menus.

On my last trip I politely requested a "paper menu" at every meal, and they were very gracious about providing one. Don't know how long that will continue, but I will continue asking.

What's my problem? Mostly the general culture of "doing everything on your phone".

I'm a desktop person, having used one since 1981, and don't see phones as any sort of replacement. They are different devices with different uses. When I travel I take my iPad to be my computer, and my phone serves as a (wait for it...) phone. I would at least need reading glasses to inconveniently use it as a (pretty sorry substitute for a) computer, and I don't care to take them with me everywhere I go at WDW to read menus etc.
I started this thread because:
a) PTC was our first WDW restaurant of this trip
b) A QR code seemed so out of place with a restaurant that is so authentic to the 50s.

Now what we have been here for several days, and learned the QR code is being used everywhere... I completely agree with you. I live completely immersed in a world of tech, but I really think it gives a very bad vibe to just offer a QR code. We are here for another week and I plan to ask for paper menus at every meal.

/Jim

Look Dad, they're building a new one!!!
Quote (in jest) by: DS, DD#1, DD#2, Circa 2003

Annual pass holders since 1989
Click here to visit my family website
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:44 PM   #22
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Sorry for "hijacking" your thread, so let me just say I love 50's Prime Time theming! And the food is pretty good too! It's often hard to find "normal" food when traveling, but that's what 50s PT has!

At least one(?) of the table styles was familiar from my youth. And I once found my birthdate (day, month, and year) on one of their calendars. A minor thrill to be sure, but still fun.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:57 PM   #23
JimP
Grand Villa

Quote:
Sorry for "hijacking" your thread, so let me just say I love 50's Prime Time theming! And the food is pretty good too! It's often hard to find "normal" food when traveling, but that's what 50s PT has!

At least one(?) of the table styles was familiar from my youth. And I once found my birthdate (day, month, and year) on one of their calendars. A minor thrill to be sure, but still fun.
So many things there remind me of my youth as well.

/Jim

Look Dad, they're building a new one!!!
Quote (in jest) by: DS, DD#1, DD#2, Circa 2003

Annual pass holders since 1989
Click here to visit my family website
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:52 PM   #24
hlyntunstl
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Now what we have been here for several days, and learned the QR code is being used everywhere... I completely agree with you. I live completely immersed in a world of tech, but I really think it gives a very bad vibe to just offer a QR code. We are here for another week and I plan to ask for paper menus at every meal.

/Jim
We always ask for menus because my parents don't have smartphones and we've gotten them upon request. I wish they would ask when seating but, as long as some are available, I'm OK with it. I do agree that it takes you out of the moment...especially there.

I'm more upset because they didn't have malt in May
hlyntunstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:58 PM   #25
brewsard2
One Bedroom

Quote:
Peanut Butter and Jelly Milkshake, everytime.
brewsard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:51 PM   #26
Adelard of Bath
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlyntunstl View Post
I'm more upset because they didn't have malt in May
We were someplace (not Disney) recently and they used to offer shakes and malts, now it is just shakes. So we didn't get anything.
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:44 PM   #27
bubster
Add-on Aficionado

I keep hearing there is a shortage of malt powder in the supply chain. Never dreamed this could be the reason that you guys canít get your preferred treats. Hang in there.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:47 PM   #28
DVCjj
Grand Villa

For each and every ADR, as we are literally being directed to our table, we immediately ask that person for a paper menu.

If we are with DD, she's a techie but wants a real menu, I'm 1/2 way technie and DH has a burner phone refusing to get an Smart phone (I know, I know), We ALL want a REAL menu.
DVCjj is online now   Reply With Quote