home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-08-2022, 10:04 PM   #11
Hi from RI
Grand Villa

Decided to get one for me...DH will not want the app and just figured will try it out for just me!!!

ME Nicole ,DH , DS : , DD , DD
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:55 AM   #12
MinnieSueB
Grand Villa

We don't plan on buying them. Have read that it can really drain your phone battery quickly b/c of the bluetooth.
MinnieSueB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:03 AM   #13
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Will have to see if DH wants one for the Oct trip, Right now, I"m not leaning toward getting one yet. I am hoping they'll add more interactive things, like if whatever is replacing the Agent P/Phineas and Ferb epcot thing will need the plus, we might get them.
I got a Boba Fett band for Christmas, and I love it, so will keep using it for a while.
I hope they bring something back to MK like the Sorceror's game. Wonder if they'll make the Pirate's adventure require the plus bands. I hope not. I do hope some sort of activity like Agent P will come back soon in Epcot!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:09 AM   #14
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieSueB View Post
We don't plan on buying them. Have read that it can really drain your phone battery quickly b/c of the bluetooth.
Bluetooth on it own uses very little power. Any phone battery drain issues would be caused by heavy use of either the MDE or Play Disney Parks mobile apps.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:52 AM   #15
MinnieSueB
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
Bluetooth on it own uses very little power. Any phone battery drain issues would be caused by heavy use of either the MDE or Play Disney Parks mobile apps.
And I'm sure with it constantly trying to locate the figurines, etc - yeah, it's a no go for us.
MinnieSueB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:29 AM   #16
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieSueB View Post
And I'm sure with it constantly trying to locate the figurines, etc - yeah, it's a no go for us.
The band is what will try to locate and attach to figures and such. Not the phone. If you use any sort of fitbit or smart watch, you'd see how little drain it causes.

Now the bands with high use can drain kind of fast. Or your phone will die fast if you are using it for for the games.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:01 PM   #17
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

I agree - it's not the bluetooth that drains the battery. I think that perception comes from a lot of people leaving bluetooth off because they don't use it normally. Then, when they turn it on for this and the battery drops quickly they assume a connection.
cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:21 PM   #18
fuzzylogic
Two Bedroom

We had fun w them this weekend! Didn't notice any extra battery drain on our phones. No more than using your phone to do "other stuff". Bounty hunting was neat... kind of like the pirate stations in Adventureland... if you don't know they're there you're no worse off, but once you learn there's all this stuff you can do it's so much more fun to be in the know. Your MB+'s are not broadcasting, I think it's picking up when you are within a distance of the gold statues (and doors / galactic villains) that is senses them so it's not broadcasting to drain battery -- it's just monitoring. They worked well. I think each person I manage will need their own MDE account but we haven't gotten to this yet. Also if the "+" battery goes dead, the MB+ still works as a regular MB (open doors, enter parks, access G+). It works this way even if you don't set anything up and do the bare minimum like link it as a regular MB.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:14 AM   #19
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
I agree - it's not the bluetooth that drains the battery. I think that perception comes from a lot of people leaving bluetooth off because they don't use it normally. Then, when they turn it on for this and the battery drops quickly they assume a connection.
Yup. My Bluetooth is on 24/7 and doesn't even register as 1% of current phone batter usage.

Cheers.