home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-08-2022, 09:33 AM   #1
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Default A not so magical club level experience at AKV

Since we now have a home in Kissimmee we use our DVC to book single nights to go have food and drinks and not drive home. We like to grab random AKV club level nights when we see them. It's hard to book so we just grab as they pop up. And we even added a small contract direct at AKV to book club level.

Our 1st time was in Jan and we loved it. Took full advantage of 2 full days. Had no issues getting mimosas and then beer and wine. All that we wanted.

Just went and got there at 9:30. Asked for mimosas and the CM were weird from the jump. When we asked for 2nd mimosas they said something about checking to see how many because we only get 2. Was a whole thing where we were told just 2...then told 2 an hour and then told they were waiting on clean glasses. We were group of 7 adults and ended up with 14 total so they did manage to drag it out so we only got the 2 each. Was super odd and awkward. Wondering if it's a new Cheapek rule or we got screwed over for some other reason?

Owners since 2006- BWV, CCV & AKV

Last edited by Lamima; 08-09-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:03 PM   #2
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Don’t want to sound like a Debbie Downer but this “ Cheapek” has totally ruined Disney. I am so tired of every time I turn around I am being nickel and dimed for things that were once free or reasonably priced. Not anymore. And to think this blind board renewed his contract for 3 more years? Well after 15 yrs. we are just about done with Disney. We just sold all of our Grand Floridian points. Now down to 118 Copper Creek FW contract. We will see just how much more damage ‘ole Chapek does and I will sell it all . That is how done I am with him, his money grabbing tactics not to mention his political actions. Sorry, rant over.

Hope
BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #3
FessParker1
Grand Villa

That's awful that you get treated that way in club level. We have our first stay in club 3rd week of Sept and I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:31 AM   #4
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
That's awful that you get treated that way in club level. We have our first stay in club 3rd week of Sept and I'll let you know how it goes.
Yes, please let me know. Try to get 3 mimosas at breakfast and see what happens.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:31 AM   #5
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
Don’t want to sound like a Debbie Downer but this “ Cheapek” has totally ruined Disney. I am so tired of every time I turn around I am being nickel and dimed for things that were once free or reasonably priced. Not anymore. And to think this blind board renewed his contract for 3 more years? Well after 15 yrs. we are just about done with Disney. We just sold all of our Grand Floridian points. Now down to 118 Copper Creek FW contract. We will see just how much more damage ‘ole Chapek does and I will sell it all . That is how done I am with him, his money grabbing tactics not to mention his political actions. Sorry, rant over.
Not a fan of the guy at all. He will ruin Disney. Maybe that's the goal. Ugh, really regretting adding the AKV points.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:00 AM   #6
bakerworld
Add-on Aficionado

AK concierge was never a selling perk due to our past experiences. We've had concierge twice at Yacht Club and once at Grand Floridian - both pre-DVC in 2006/7. Since they were free upgrades for that years promotion we just went with the flow however the experience convinced us that concierge can be work and we're not on vacation to work.

We spent more time in the parks back then so we mainly caught concierge in the AM or late PM. DH prefers to have coffee in the room in his PJ's so sometimes I could take coffee to him and other times he had to make do with the room set up. The Yacht Club really wanted to only provide service in the special room. Frankly, there wasn't much seating for two floors of rooms so mostly they reluctantly allowed me to take coffee back to the room. As I'm an early riser I had breakfast but as soon as I stood up people would grab my seat. After 3 days they pretty much let me go but they did enforce the 2 drink rule so at night I'd grab a beer (I don't drink beer) and DH would grab a beer to take back to the room . If we were by in the afternoon I'd race up for a oatmeal cookie (Yacht).

At the Grand concierge had set times and if you missed it then SOL so we didn't sample much of their offerings even though we were housed in the concierge building. The Grand didn't enforce limits on food or beverages, probably because they limited when there was access. We made a point of going back one evening for a wine and beer. It was really crowded and awkward. They didn't care if you took drinks to the room but the fridge was locked so no cool storage.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:16 PM   #7
M1Thumb
Studio

That's really weird and surprising, at least based on our past stays at the Polynesian and Animal Kingdom concierge levels. There never were limits to any food or drink, and certainly not alcohol.

Then again, we've only had one non-DVC villa stay since 2013 and that wasn't at a club level... I hate to say it, but given everything else I've seen nosedive in terms of quality, service, and experience with WDW, I'm really not surprised if Disney has started to cut back club level perks.

I did see a recent video of the GF's club level spread and was pretty appalled at how sparse it appeared and at the food offerings themselves.
M1Thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:52 PM   #8
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

I stayed AKV Club 3 nights 7/31-8/2/2022.
I was Solo, so no request issues to report.
It was a last minute booking and nothing was available and a club studio popped up.
I missed the following:
Turn down for what? No more evening turndown service/refresh
I did receive daily housekeeping.
No extra little toiletries/amenities. I was surprised to see the wall pumps in the tub area. On club!!?
No more toothbrush/paste kits
Were there robes?
I did receive a white chocolate bar in clear cellophane left in my studio on my first evening.
Elevator was mostly express (straight to 6 when you tap)
Mr. Wayne retired.
Did not miss the lobby drum parade.

Breakfast was nice. Bacon, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, fruit etc
Mickey bars and strawberry bars in the evening.
Bottle water was a ask
Mimosa ask
Beer ran out, ask
The lounge is busier and not as relaxing or quiet as it was when they had sofa and comfortable chairs. I remember sitting and watching movies on big tv in the evening. Now its set up with only table and chairs and they are mostly occupied. Maybe because you have to ask for most alcohol drinks now guests just stay.
I never liked the studio closest to lounge, but with how busy the lounge is, it was nice to retreat to my balcony.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:46 PM   #9
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Ok this is not sounding good at all. I have a value studio i can stay in and save the points if its not worth the aggrivation.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:23 PM   #10
M1Thumb
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCQUEEN View Post
I stayed AKV Club 3 nights 7/31-8/2/2022.

Breakfast was nice. Bacon, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, fruit etc
Mickey bars and strawberry bars in the evening.
Bottle water was a ask
Mimosa ask
Beer ran out, ask
The lounge is busier and not as relaxing or quiet as it was when they had sofa and comfortable chairs. I remember sitting and watching movies on big tv in the evening. Now its set up with only table and chairs and they are mostly occupied. Maybe because you have to ask for most alcohol drinks now guests just stay.
I never liked the studio closest to lounge, but with how busy the lounge is, it was nice to retreat to my balcony.
I have to ask - the evening offerings you mention are the > 8PM desserts? If so, did they offer only Mickey and strawberry bars? Or did they still have cakes and pastries out? And wine and cordials available? Endless bottles of Amarula?

Did they still offer the twilight dishes earlier in the evening? If so, how was that spread?

And did they still keep the late morning-early afternoon snacks, as well as the mid-afternoon tea snacks?

And when we stayed there, the bottles of water were kept in a cooler along with sodas. Do they still have that self-service cooler?

Sad to hear they got rid of the comfy couches and chairs. That really was a great place to unwind and just relax, years ago.
M1Thumb is offline   Reply With Quote