home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
Crodge1
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default First Food and Wine Trip!

My Fiance and i are going to Disney in October and it will be our first time ever going to the Food and Wine Festival. I'm not really too familiar with it but i've been to Epcot several times, so i know there is already all kinds of food and alcoholic beverages available... i was curious as to how food and wine is different than it is during the rest of the year...discounted drinks? Samples? Also what about costs for everything?

Thanks!
Crodge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crodge1 View Post
... i was curious as to how food and wine is different than it is during the rest of the year...discounted drinks? Samples? Also what about costs for everything?
My DH and I went to F&W for the first time last year and we may be in the minority, but we didn't find it to be that exciting.

I had to chuckle at the "discounted drinks" & "samples" question. We didn't encounter either of those and it certainly wasn't inexpensive!!! (We are definitely not penny pinchers either!!) Generally the tastings around World Showcase were $8 to $10 for what equates to about 6 bites. The food was "meh" and it really didn't feel all that different from regular EPCOT except more crowded. We went through the exhibition area near Mission: Space (can't remember what that pavilion is called) and it had some fun things, but nothing that terribly interesting.

Maybe we missed something exciting and didn't even know it, but we wouldn't go back for F&W and if it coincides with another trip we won't be seeking it out.

Sorry about the negative review, but we weren't awed.

I hope your impression is the total opposite of ours.
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
disneyteach
Two Bedroom

Definitely nothing discounted, but I LOVE Food & Wine! Basically everything is a sample, but you have to pay for it. We split a lot of the items so we could try more and eat more! They have little booklets with the food offerings throughout the festival. We kept our booklets with us each time we went and checked off everything we tried. We went last year and DS (8) enjoyed writing little reviews about everything he tried. We ended up trying something from every kiosk, I believe. Here is a link to my TR from that trip: http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123999 I wrote about a lot of the food we tried.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
missa986
One Bedroom

First off, if you haven't already, I'd check out some information from Disney focused blogs and sites (I'd recommend starting with All Ears, personally).

As far as in-park goes, they set up (in 2017 it was 30) different kiosks all around Epcot's world showcase. Each one typically represents a country (a few represent types of cuisine, like "Farm Fresh") and features 3-4 tapas-sized dishes and a few accompanying wine/beer/liquor options. All Ears should have a list of all the kiosks and all the options available from last year's festival. Unless you make multiple trips to Epcot on multiple days, there is no way you will be able to get everything at every kiosk. Also, there is no real good seating areas, so you most likely will be standing up at one of the tables (mostly in the sun) while you eat. Some are more reasonably priced than others.

Other than the kiosks, there are F&W specific events and tastings/demonstrations that you have to reserve (with an additional fee).

This fall will be my 4th time visiting during F&W. I've only ever done a beverage seminar (which was okay, but pretty much just a sales pitch) and visited the kiosks. On my 2nd trip, it was in September and it was too dang hot to stand around and eat from all the kiosks. We opted to do TS meals in the A/C instead.

Oct/Nov 2018: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo
Oct/Nov 2016: Boardwalk Villas
Sept 2014: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani
Oct/Nov 2012: Pop Century
May 2009: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo
Dec 2000: Polynesian Resort
Dec 1993: Caribbean Beach Resort
missa986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Also worth checking out the Disney Food Blog.

Many, including me, go and enjoy annually. Sure similar festivals can be found at plenty of other places, but this is on Disney property so one can always appreciate that aspect if desired. Plus, at least for me the advantage of all transportation being handled cannot be overlooked.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
ajc
Grand Villa

we have gone 5 yrs in a row and the most impressive part is the variety to try without buying a large portion that you may or may not like (DH & I share plates to try the go back for seconds or favorites).
The expansion from 11 countries to 36+ kiosks is great (Brazil is yummy every year).
No discounts, but you might find a saving if you buy a festival marketplace coupon ticket page (with a free F&W pin sometimes). The coupon tickets have some exclusions but at $6.00/ticket they can be used on $8 priced items for added value.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
nrspepe
Two Bedroom

What about the quick service dining plan? I thought I read that this could save $ as a counter service meal was equivalent to three selections at F&W. That would give each person a good number of samples each day, if true...
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #8
bobbafett
Grand Villa

I think I have done 13 times. About.

The food is not meh...it's good. Actually better then what you would expect.
Yes. It is expensive. But fun. Food is same or better then what is usually outside normally. I suggest doing 2 nights for 2 people. Do not eat lunch or dinner anywhere. Park hopper and finish the afternoon/night in epcot. Order 2 different items and 2 different drinks. Then share. You could get half the kiosks done in one day. Depending on your dietary restriction or dislikes. Then finish the second night. If I do 5 nights. I do 4 in Epcot just to eat and drink the f&wf.

My suggestion is to not use your magic band. Get a Disney gift card and load it up with what your think is reasonable. Then, The cast member who rings you up will just scan. No holding mb., no pin. Just a quick scan and go.
Also. Definitely bring a tray. It is the #1 item I bring with me. They seel small plastic ones that will also hold a drink. This thing is invaluable to me. Only thing is to add a lanyard to it when not in use. Seriously. I love this. But you can always bring a cheap plastic one from a cafeteria. It might seem odd....but trust me, when you have a tray and get 2 samples, 2 drinks 1 dessert between 2 people, it's a a god send , trust me, you might think it is strange, but you will see nothing but envy from people trying to juggle their food.

If you don't, the official table is the trash can. It had been my favorite for years. I bought the world showcase and f&wf salt and pepper shakers just because of that reason.
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17, AKL 18, 18. VGF 18, VAK 18.

bobbafett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:14 PM   #9
disneyteach
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrspepe View Post
What about the quick service dining plan? I thought I read that this could save $ as a counter service meal was equivalent to three selections at F&W. That would give each person a good number of samples each day, if true...
This is true, but all 3 have to be from the same kiosk and listed as snack credits.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:37 PM   #10
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
we have gone 5 yrs in a row and the most impressive part is the variety to try without buying a large portion that you may or may not like (DH & I share plates to try the go back for seconds or favorites).
The expansion from 11 countries to 36+ kiosks is great (Brazil is yummy every year).
No discounts, but you might find a saving if you buy a festival marketplace coupon ticket page (with a free F&W pin sometimes). The coupon tickets have some exclusions but at $6.00/ticket they can be used on $8 priced items for added value.

Rumor is this the sampler coupon thing is gone this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrspepe View Post
The problem is some booths don't have 3 Items or 3 you want.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote