home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Perks Pages"
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #21
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Conspiracy Theory:
It's expensive because they want you to use points, which from DVC's point of view is the only reason for having a Members Cruise.
(Do I believe it? Maybe... )

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)

Last edited by erikthewise; 02-26-2020 at 09:14 AM.
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:03 AM   #22
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Nah. It's expensive because demand exceeds supply and they give you all kinds of goodies. It makes people feel special. I have to say, though, we did a 5 night Western last year for $3000, so the cost is nearly double, but it's also the time of year when cruise prices tend to go up. I suspect one could do the same itinerary and have plenty of fun for $2000 less. But it won't be DVC exclusive with all kinds of DVC fun, games, and treats. We Disney fans are a passionate bunch!

One thing that did surprise me was how the cost variance between categories wasn't that much. There is usually a much higher spread.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #23
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
Canít tell you as Iíve never cruised myself but RWeThereYet just mentioned in another post reserving a 13 day cruise for two for around $5,900 so I was using that as a comparison. Regardless of how it compares, just too much money for a vacation for me.
But keep in mind that the much longer itineraries are always cheaper. Panama Canal and Transatlantic are always the best deal. I don't know if it is because most people cannot take that much time for vacation or what, but they have always been much cheaper than the other cruises.

In addition, Member Cruises always have special events, special guests and lots of SWAG. I have never been on one, but it is on the bucket list.

RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #24
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
But keep in mind that the much longer itineraries are always cheaper. Panama Canal and Transatlantic are always the best deal. I don't know if it is because most people cannot take that much time for vacation or what, but they have always been much cheaper than the other cruises.

In addition, Member Cruises always have special events, special guests and lots of SWAG. I have never been on one, but it is on the bucket list.
There's also the cost of one way transport back home, which isn't always easy to come by without using bargain carriers.

The timing and length of the TA and PC cruises all but shut out families and people with limited vacation time. They are always the cheapest on most lines in terms of cost per night. I would love to do both, but they are also hard for us because of schedules. One day!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:34 PM   #25
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

I would love to go on a members cruise but I am not keen on paying in full all at one go.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:05 PM   #26
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindisney View Post
I would love to go on a members cruise but I am not keen on paying in full all at one go.
I would also love to go on a member cruise. The price and having to pay a year in advance are deal breakers for me. A lot can happen in a year.

I get that you have to pay a year in advance. Disney wants an interest free loan for a year. Can you cancel after you have paid? If not, then you would lose the fare in case of emergency. I can’t see booking without travel insurance if you can’t cancel. An additional cost!

I wonder how the cost compares to a Transatlantic Cruise. I have always wanted to go on one of those as well.

Last edited by Crafty; 02-27-2020 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Adding
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote