home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Community Hole
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #91
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by reblzmom View Post
The Container Store sells little foam (?) packets perfect for storing ornaments before they go in the plastic bin. They are like little square envelopes. I used to wrap some of my ornaments in tissue first, but these are easy to use and to pack up.
Will look into that. Thanks!

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT, May 31- June 4 HHI and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV
Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #92
broganmc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Looking good!

Is the train garden up this year?
I've been working on it the last two days. Had to pull together an interesting group of new volunteers this year. Like you, the kids in my family have aged out of all the traditional prep. They're all about work and friends these days. I remember that age... when I was "too cool" for quaint family traditions. God was I insufferable. I actually boycotted Thanksgiving at my uncle's... the one day a year I got to see all my cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc. I thought it would be way cooler to stay home and sleep then make fun of the Macy's Thanksgiving parade with my friends over the phone.

My uncle took it in stride. He even sent home a big plate of food for me, since of course I couldn't even be bothered to make myself more than a bowl of cereal. My uncle said all were welcome but no one had to come. If you didn't show up, then they were just free to talk about you. Eventually most grow out of that unhelpful phase. Hopefully soon enough for them to be really useful. When I grew out of it, I kicked into Holiday/Family Overdrive. Now I spend at least half my time fantasizing about fun things to do with my family.

Anyway, this year we have my cousin (who just moved back home from a whirlwind career abroad), my neighbor's son and my nephew. Also the ever helpful cousin John. He's been busy converting my wood-burning fireplace to a gas fireplace and lending a hand as needed.

We're only doing one table this year and one train. I wanted to keep it reasonable given the unusual help. But the basics are in the garden. Mix of Disney, village and carnival. Theme this year is Winter Wonderland. Table is against the glass wall so we can enjoy some pretty snow backdrops for the expected blizzards this winter.

Vegas NYE Dec 29-Jan 3
Florida March 1-24
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #93
broganmc
Grand Villa

Kokoski Family Train Garden 2018

Stage 1: Prep

Bring up all the Train Garden boxes and sort what you're going to use this year.

Clear the room, setup the platform and dress it.

Stage 2: Building the Garden

Setup train (and test), landscaping and position major buildings (and test each).

Once done, test the background fireworks shows.

Don't forget to clean up as you go.

I even setup our security camera to take a timelapse of our building skills.
(This was me briefing my cousin on the plan for the day.)

We pickup again tomorrow at 10am and will work until 3pm or so. The hard part is tomorrow. We have to fill the garden with lighted trees, campfires, and run all the power cables for the buildings and rides under the snow. Plus I have to setup our new WiFi power strip so we can turn the garden on and off by Alexa.

Theme this year is "Winter Wonderland". Just one table. More manageable, plus I get to keep my sewing table for the winter. (I just have to give it up for parties when we convert it into a dessert bar.)

I have a YouTube playlist of fireworks and Disney-holiday backgrounds I filmed over my years of travels with my dad. Feels so good to hear him on the videos wishing me a Happy New Year and marveling at the sights. I've got a mix of everything from Halloween to New Year's, fireworks and Osborne Lights. It ends with the very last song at Osborne Lights before they shut it down. If you want to use it yourselves or just like the background while you decorate, you can access it here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...W9hZRbQKucMn2V

I have this fantastic video I filmed years ago of the Christmas Parade during one New Year's holiday we took. It's the same parade you see during the parties at night but during Christmas week they run the parade in the daytime. You see so much better then. My dad and I setup outside Hall of Presidents and filmed the whole thing. My dad did the commentary and float introductions. At the time I was furious with him for talking over my video. I thought he would ruin it. Better to shoot raw video, I thought, and do commentary later. But it turned out fabulous. My dad and I would skip what they air on TV and watch our video instead. It was, after all, an actual parade video instead of an advertisement with sporadic musician of the day performances. I'll put that up on YouTube and add to my playlist.

Vegas NYE Dec 29-Jan 3
Florida March 1-24

Last edited by broganmc; 12-07-2018 at 05:16 PM.
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #94
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

LOVE these trees! Thanks for sharing. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pictures here....
We put up our tree Veteran's Day weekend now. Seems to be new tradition. Thanksgiving are often busy, so this is a better time for us.

I decorate with ornaments from my lifetime. Many were Mama's. She's been gone 10 years now. She always LOVED Christmas and decorating, so I love putting up her ornament,s plus whatever we've picked up . Always try to get a few from Cracker Barrel each year. That was one of our traditions.

My favorite Disney ones were these woven baskets and straw like ones we bought in the Norway pavilion back in 2000. Our first trip as a new family . current DH and my DS and me. Also got a Mickey holiday and Pluto from the shop in HS (was MGM back then) . We had to watch all of our spending, (stayed off site, holiday inn maingate ) and these were some of the only souvenirs we bought on the trip. LOVE seeing those on the tree.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote