home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #11
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
It's one of the better documentary on Walt.
It's a few years old and really discusses the positive. Its definitely a video to watch before a trip.
Ok... I'll trust your opinion and check it out. Thanks.
capeokw56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #12
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Dirk,

Nice post, and I agree completely. I don't expect a negative view, but one that is realistic and not idealized...and it sounds like that's what we'll get.

I just think that enough people really do think that he's the benign Uncle Walt guy rather then the realistic character you describe who has also been accused (although not really well-corroborated) of both anti-Semitic and Nazi leanings.

Every time Disney finds a new way to monetize something, someone will say "if Walt were alive, that wouldn't happen..." More likely, Walt would be the one coming up the the ideas to make more money.

Yes, Walt is a genius and bilked folks of their cash with more panache than we see in today's Disney

Cheers.
Mostly agree - I'm not sure how much he would be into "bilking" as opposed to simply making money off a good idea. I certainly don't think he wasn't a capitalist - but remember that Roy was the one who had to keep him in check, because he was willing to spend money to make money.

I'd have to read the bios to go more in depth, but I've never seen anything to convince me that Walt was either anti-Semitic or had Nazi leanings. Good grief, he harnessed his studio for the war effort - he was no Charles Lindbergh.

I think Walt genuinely loved people and the stories they had to tell. He also loved the idea of human progress, perhaps naively so. I think their race, gender, religion, or national origin were secondary to him apart from the fact that he was a man of his times. There really aren't any major scandals associated with him - he wasn't a drinker, womanizer, or had petty public feuds with his colleagues (well, except his brother!).

The two big knocks he seems to get are his testimony to the House UnAmerican Activities Committee and his reaction to a strike at his Studio. The first I see as part of his tragic flaw, the second I see more as growing pains of an organization - regrettable but not unrealistic.

A third knock was the position of lower-level women in the Studio and their limited advancement opportunities. I'd have to know more to see if he was more or less progressive in that area than others of his day.

The man did his best work more than half a century ago. He - or anybody else - really can't be judged by today's standards. Nobody knows how he would be if he was raised with today's sensibilities.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #13
MMC1
Grand Villa

December 5 is Walt Disney birthday.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #14
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
December 5 is Walt Disney birthday.
That's our check-in day... perfect!
capeokw56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #15
KShack11
Two Bedroom

We stumbled across it today too! We really enjoyed it. Learned quite a bit we didn't know, like about his mom and how she passed. Great docu!
KShack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:25 AM   #16
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

Definitely adding to our list to watch. Thanks for sharing!
2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ AS; 1980s ~ FW, Cont.
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote