home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 03-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #21
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 8,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix1912 View Post
Part of being a free nation is just that freedom.

Freedom means that private businesses should be free to choose how to run their business and customers are free to decide if it is a business they want to patronize.

This theater owner can decide not to show any movie he doesn't want to. If he loses out on revenue it would have generated that is his decision and his consequences. If we demand the government force business owners to do or say or provide a product they object to we taking away the very freedom that makes our country great, and we are embarking on a very slippery slope.

Freedom is the freedom to make choices, mistakes, etc, and reap the rewards or consequences of those mistakes.
Very true, just like I have the right to never step foot on that property again, because I disagree with what they are doing. I am not a huge fan of major boycott but I will side that it isn't worth my money going to certain groups if I feel they are treating people poorly.

I also have the right to share this type of news with friends to make sure they also do not go to somewhere that they may not feel like they are welcome.

I compare this to why I had to quit my gym. They were a smaller gym and the owner made some very racist comments. I decided that since they spoke against my family negatively, I was not going to give my money to such a small business who was okay with being racist. Working for a very small business I've realized that politics and religion should never be discussed. Otherwise you will end up losing clients. If it is that important to them then that is their choice but they will wind up having clients never return simply because they won't stand for that kind of narrow mindedness.
__________________
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #22
John2247
Two Bedroom
 
John2247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
Hahahahahahah..

Idiots.
__________________
John2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #23
PurrfectPrincess
One Bedroom
 
PurrfectPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post

And I love that it's driving some folks nuts! Hope you all sell sell sell
True, the media is having an absolute $h!tfit because of it. Just do a Google search to see how many stories there are about it from people with their underwear tied in knots.
PurrfectPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #24
cheyenne
Add-on Aficionado
 
cheyenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 7,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
The post is gone. The comments were overwhelmingly negative. I don't think they liked the storm they unleashed upon themselves.

I take that back. They deleted their entire FB page.
__________________

Last edited by cheyenne; 03-04-2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added more info
cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:09 PM   #25
mountainjourno
Grand Villa
 
mountainjourno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne View Post
The post is gone. The comments were overwhelmingly negative. I don't think they liked the storm they unleashed upon themselves.

I take that back. They deleted their entire FB page.
No - it's back up again and going strong.

Their ignorance in posting their "logic" for not showing the movie will no-doubt end in a short life of their business. Instead of using their right to show - or not show - anything they like quietly and without fuss, they felt they needed to make a statement. And now, many people are also exercising their rights to condemn the hypocrisy (given the other films they showed while owners).

Needless to say, I'm glad my 14-year-old openly gay son lives in a place where he feels free to be true to who he is rather than pretend to be someone he's not to fit in. The children the Drive-in owners mentioned in their post may well be gay, but will never feel safe with their family to say if they are.

On a side note - so...the drive in owners would be okay with bestiality, just not homosexuality?!
__________________


mountainjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:15 PM   #26
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado
 
Fmer55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 9,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
I think everybody is 100% in agreement that a theater owner can decide not to show any movie he doesn't want to show.

But I would strongly disagree that a private business should be able to make any choices they want. If you run a lunch counter, it's not OK to refuse to serve black people... especially if you expect public services like the police to back you up when those uppity folks sit at your counter and demand service.

But if we dive any further into the discussion, we'll get get slapped down by the moderators.
The politico thread disguised as....................
__________________


DH, me(Mike)MOD136, DW DD11DD8
Fmer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:41 AM   #27
cw62803
One Bedroom
 
cw62803's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 365
Default

Why is it that when people of faith act on their values they are mocked?
cw62803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:59 AM   #28
mountainjourno
Grand Villa
 
mountainjourno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw62803 View Post
Why is it that when people of faith act on their values they are mocked?
I don't think that is the issue here. If they don't believe in gay relationships, they definitely shouldn't participate in gay relationships and I can't imagine anyone would mock them for that.

It's when they vocally judge others using their faith as justification that they open themselves up to judgement themselves. Saying that Beauty and the Beast is inappropriate for children and that they therefore won't show it, while airing 50 Shades Darker (?!) or even movies where killing takes place (Thou shalt not kill) reveals their hypocrisy.

If they don't want to show the movies they shouldn't. But the statement they made on their page was appalling. They can act on their faith without publicly denouncing others who do not share their interpretation of the bible.

(Incidentally, my profile pic shows Snow White kissing my son at Disney World back in 2007. I blame her for making him gay!)
__________________



Last edited by mountainjourno; 03-05-2017 at 01:13 AM.
mountainjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:10 AM   #29
Rigby
Two Bedroom
 
Rigby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjourno View Post
I don't think that is the issue here. If they don't believe in gay relationships, they definitely shouldn't participate in gay relationships and I can't imagine anyone would mock them for that.

It's when they vocally judge others using their faith as justification that they open themselves up to judgement themselves. Saying that Beauty and the Beast is inappropriate for children and that they therefore won't show it, while airing 50 Shades Darker (?!) or even movies where killing takes place (Thou shalt not kill) reveals their hypocrisy.

If they don't want to show the movies they shouldn't. But the statement they made on their page was appalling.
Couldn't have said it better!
__________________
Rigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:20 AM   #30
JaneBanks
One Bedroom
 
JaneBanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hill Country TX
Posts: 358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjourno View Post
I don't think that is the issue here. If they don't believe in gay relationships, they definitely shouldn't participate in gay relationships and I can't imagine anyone would mock them for that.

It's when they vocally judge others using their faith as justification that they open themselves up to judgement themselves. Saying that Beauty and the Beast is inappropriate for children and that they therefore won't show it, while airing 50 Shades Darker (?!) or even movies where killing takes place (Thou shalt not kill) reveals their hypocrisy.

If they don't want to show the movies they shouldn't. But the statement they made on their page was appalling. They can act on their faith without publicly denouncing others who do not share their interpretation of the bible.

(Incidentally, my profile pic shows Snow White kissing my son at Disney World back in 2007. I blame her for making him gay!)
I could not have said it better.
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 PM.

MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software