home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #11
Jesper
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
Oh wow...Taylor Hicks haha
Old 03-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #12
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
Hahahahahahah..

Idiots.
Lots of them around here!
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:39 PM   #13
Caren90
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
Lots of them around here!
Sadly, it is not one country, or state, or town in particular. I've never been to Alabama and I would never vilify the actions of someone as a derogatory comment on a whole community, state, ethnic group or religion.

The point is. No one group owns ignorance- it is prevalent everywhere. I'm from a Northern state and we have our own ignorance to deal with as well.

And even intelligent people can be proven ignorant over time. Walt Disney wanted to create joy for others (while being a good American capitalist as well) and yet he was a "friendly witness" called to testify during the McCarthy era of Un-American Activities.

Apologies for politicizing.

Stephen
Caren90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:58 PM   #14
cheyenne
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Oh the things I wish I could say about this
I could and did.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:20 PM   #15
Alix1912
Two Bedroom

Part of being a free nation is just that freedom.

Freedom means that private businesses should be free to choose how to run their business and customers are free to decide if it is a business they want to patronize.

This theater owner can decide not to show any movie he doesn't want to. If he loses out on revenue it would have generated that is his decision and his consequences. If we demand the government force business owners to do or say or provide a product they object to we taking away the very freedom that makes our country great, and we are embarking on a very slippery slope.

Freedom is the freedom to make choices, mistakes, etc, and reap the rewards or consequences of those mistakes.
Alix1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:33 PM   #16
PurrfectPrincess
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix1912 View Post

Freedom means that private businesses should be free to choose how to run their business and customers are free to decide if it is a business they want to patronize.

This theater owner can decide not to show any movie he doesn't want to. If he loses out on revenue it would have generated that is his decision and his consequences. If we demand the government force business owners to do or say or provide a product they object to we taking away the very freedom that makes our country great, and we are embarking on a very slippery slope.

Freedom is the freedom to make choices, mistakes, etc, and reap the rewards or consequences of those mistakes.
It's their own personal choice. More power to them. People who want to see the movie will just see it somewhere else.
PurrfectPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:07 PM   #17
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

This theater owner can decide not to show any movie he doesn't want to.
I think everybody is 100% in agreement that a theater owner can decide not to show any movie he doesn't want to show.

But I would strongly disagree that a private business should be able to make any choices they want. If you run a lunch counter, it's not OK to refuse to serve black people... especially if you expect public services like the police to back you up when those uppity folks sit at your counter and demand service.

But if we dive any further into the discussion, we'll get get slapped down by the moderators.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:12 AM   #18
DVC DAD
Studio

Quote:

Eloquently stated.
DVC DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:39 AM   #19
Rigby
Two Bedroom

Didn't we all always know LeFou was gay? It's like some of you never saw the movie.

Carousel Of Progress?

Let you're conscience be your guide?

I'm so happy the world and especially Disney World is moving forwards instead of backwards.

And I love that it's driving some folks nuts! Hope you all sell sell sell

Last edited by Rigby; 03-04-2017 at 06:03 AM.
Rigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #20
beemertec
Two Bedroom

As far as I know a movie theater can decide what movies they do or do not want to show. If they do not want the income that could come from this movie that is their decision.

As long as they don't start deciding who they will and won't let into their theater, they are well within their rights.

I will say that I think that this is case of selective righteous indignation though. I'll bet that they have shown lots of movies portraying something that is against their values, but since a big deal wasn't being made of it, they were ok with it. Just my 2 cents!