home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #101
carter929
Studio

Default Where is the gay moment?

I watched the cartoon and I saw the trailers for the Beauty and the Beast and I can't see the blessed event
If they refer to LeFou looking admiringly at Gaston my reaction is "Are you for real???"
In the cartoon there is a scene where the wardrobe swallows 3 villagers and spits them out in dresses. Two of them are appalled, one sort of grins, but again for the life of me I don't see the gay bit.
On a more serious note, I was reading the posts and I paid special attention to those defending the theatre owners for their choice.
I must say I agree with some. It is the owner's right to pick and choose what they will show in their own theatre. The problem comes up, with me anyway, when they give the reason for that choice.
First off, nobody asked the owner why they do not want to show the movie. Our laws allow them to state their reasons and with it their beliefs so they are ok to do that too.
And here is the snag..... When you come out and say the reason is your faith, then logic demands that you follow through on it in every other aspect.
These are the owner's words : We will not compromise on what the Bible teaches. We will continue to show family oriented films so you can feel free to come watch wholesome movies without worrying about sex, nudity, homosexuality and foul language,” the theater management, which assumed ownership of the facility in December, said in a statement.
“If I can’t sit through a movie with God or Jesus sitting by me then we have no business showing it,” said the theater in the same statement.

That's where I have a problem. I wonder if Jesus and God would sit with you watching a movie like "A Dog's Purpose"? The theatre is showing this movie now. This is clearly a movie about re incarnation and the Bible clearly states there is no such thing. Once you are dead you are dead "Just as it is appointed that human beings die once, and after this the judgment...Heb 9:27"
This is not the only thing Jesus and God would hate to sit and watch next to you. The Boss Baby is coming soon to this theatre. There is a scene there where we see naked baby butts smeared in baby powder. Would the Big Guy want to take his Son to see a movie with nudity??? WWJD???
This is not even religious hipocrisy. This is just plain ignorant and borderline stupid
Poor guy wanted some attention and got it on the nose.
I think if he just didn't show the movie it would have been fine. His business, his money, his choice. You cannot come out in public and waive the bible in our faces and tell us you follow the word of God on one thing, do something just as bad the next time and justify your action by saying the first was a bigger crime therefore it's ok to judge it.
I might be wrong saying all this, but this problem with anything gay really bothers me. A shout out to all those morons hiding behind their "faith": Being gay is not unnatural, sick, contagious, terrible or against God. If God created us equal and gay people are under the Homo Sapiens genus, then according to your fairy tale, about burning talking bush and speaking snakes, they are creation of God too. Stop with the nonsense and grow up. If the bible or any other religious book condemns it, it doesn't mean they are right. It just means there was not enough information on the subject 2 thousand years ago. You are not expressing your belief, you are expressing your own homophobic fears!!!
carter929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #102
uwdude
One Bedroom

That's the thing, the theater owners came out and made a big Facebook announcement about the reason for not showing it instead of just not showing it. This was about getting more business from a certain group of people than it was about beliefs.
uwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #103
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Cmon, it's beauty and the beast. Timeless. True as it can be...
Always gets me when politcal and religious correctness rears its ugly head. Generations have accepted things and been just fine through the ages.
Live, be and see things as they are and have been forever...accepted!
Geez, If you want to get technical, most kid films, including Disney actually have adult theming. Dah! Do you live under a rock?
It's beauty and the beast! A tale to be told (sing it Angela Landesbury!)
Nothing more!
I'm done now, I feel much better,
Thank You!
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #104
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwdude View Post
That's the thing, the theater owners came out and made a big Facebook announcement about the reason for not showing it instead of just not showing it. This was about getting more business from a certain group of people than it was about beliefs.
I'm not defending the owners, but they might have made the posting so as to avoid having to take a lot of individual inquiries into when the movie was going to be shown.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #105
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudieHopps View Post
Now you've got me thinking.... hmmm...

Barely even friends
Then somebody bends
Unexpectedly
<wink>
Both a little scared
Neither one prepared
<wink>
Bitter sweet and strange
Finding you can change
Learning you were wrong
<wink>
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #106
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
Now you've got me thinking.... hmmm...

Barely even friends
Then somebody bends
Unexpectedly
<wink>
Both a little scared
Neither one prepared
<wink>
Bitter sweet and strange
Finding you can change
Learning you were wrong
<wink>
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:40 PM   #107
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

So I saw this at a Regal special event a few hours ago and let's just say that there is zero controversy unless you really want there to be. I kept waiting for this "nod" at the end and it lasted for like .5 seconds and was a non event at that.

LaFou is there for comic effect first, and anything else second. Yes he is flambouyant during the tavern song, but only a bit more so than in 1991 which was 26 freaking years ago. IMO Olaf was more consistently flamboyant than LaFou, but when you have no gender I guess people can't be outraged.

Side note: Prepare for the Bellepacolypse this October. The movie is good.

My DVC homes: BLT, BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:48 PM   #108
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudieHopps View Post
Lansbury. It's the least we can do. Still kickin' at 91!

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:47 PM   #109
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonv1 View Post
So I saw this at a Regal special event a few hours ago and let's just say that there is zero controversy unless you really want there to be. I kept waiting for this "nod" at the end and it lasted for like .5 seconds and was a non event at that.

LaFou is there for comic effect first, and anything else second. Yes he is flambouyant during the tavern song, but only a bit more so than in 1991 which was 26 freaking years ago. IMO Olaf was more consistently flamboyant than LaFou, but when you have no gender I guess people can't be outraged.

Side note: Prepare for the Bellepacolypse this October. The movie is good.

Agreed completely. You really really have to be looking for anything to even be considered the least bit "controversial".

Excellent movie, indeed.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:26 AM   #110
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

I just saw it tonight. There is nothing to offend any one in it. I think it was a little long and chunks could have been edited out. But not for offensive contentment . Children may drift off a little in the middle. But the ending was wonderful . The cast is terrific but I did not find the movie especially magical.

Perhaps it is because I am remembering the French Beauty and The Beast movie made during World War II on a show string budget without special effects. Belle was the loveliest actress you have ever seen. The beast was an equally handsome square jawed blonde actor . The eyes ofthe statues all move. you can tell the creators of the animated beauty and the beast had seen this old movie from 1946. It is a truly magical film. Watch it if you can .

It is on You tube .

The trailer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LeP0yCj9paw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn_oGq_EmtA

The entire film

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ML30A65x9F4

Last edited by Shewill; 03-17-2017 at 12:53 AM.
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote