home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Adult Travelers - Singles, Couples, DINKS
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #11
Steamboat42
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
Why would you feel the need to attack the review? Why not just post your own review with your positive experiences.
I just felt the review was very vague and not really fair of the event. There are many things wrong with DHS right now but I did not think it was fair to lump those problems into Moonlight Magic review.

Bag check is always inconsistent. We had a cooler that fits underneath our car seat and fits about 6 bottles of soda and this was not even pulled out ot be checked a number of times in a row when entering the park.

Parking and busses is not great at DHS. This is a problem right now at the park at all times.

My biggest problem was stating they had nothing to ride during the party. Practically nothing was closed that isn't shuttered or closed during normal operating hours, excluding B&B and Indiana Jones.
Steamboat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #12
Belle & Ariel
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat42 View Post
I just felt the review was very vague and not really fair of the event. There are many things wrong with DHS right now but I did not think it was fair to lump those problems into Moonlight Magic review.

Bag check is always inconsistent. We had a cooler that fits underneath our car seat and fits about 6 bottles of soda and this was not even pulled out ot be checked a number of times in a row when entering the park.

Parking and busses is not great at DHS. This is a problem right now at the park at all times.

My biggest problem was stating they had nothing to ride during the party. Practically nothing was closed that isn't shuttered or closed during normal operating hours, excluding B&B and Indiana Jones.
Those two pull a few thousand from other rides. Frozen does also and it wasn't running. For some reason Mermaid was not going either. Disney Jr is down for a change over and it pulls a few hundred. All these people are now competing for a few rides. Even the hourly Star Wars March attracts a good crowd.
Her assessment is spot on.

New AP count. Dec 10. Jan 5 (15) Feb 4 (19) March 6. (25) April/May 8 (33) June 9 (42) Sept 7 (49)
Belle & Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #13
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
To answer a few questions, why would they let us in at 7p if food was restricted until after 9 ( which it was not, just the Mickey bars). No Indiana Jones, Beauty and Beast Show. We saw the projection show. It was ok. Would not consider it an attraction. Characters had long lines. Yes they were there but again we had no kids along. Maybe the characters alone appeal to others? Like I said YMMV.
The 7 PM entry was actually a perk - to be able to enter the park prior to the event starting. You then had access to all the remaining park attractions and shows that were still finishing up the day. If they made it a hard 9PM entry when the event started then the lines would be exceptionally long and many complaints about it taking so very long to get in. Also nice that they allowed access to the meals earlier than the event start time - another perk. The first events did not have the hot dogs/chips out until the event start time and 9 or 10PM just wasn't that appealing to be having those things for a lot of people I'd guess.

I too am sorry the event was a let down. IMO MK is the only park really able to handle the number of people they allow in for these events because of the having the greatest number of attractions. But none of the events have offered shows other than a night show like the Fireworks or ROL for AK. Prior to the events we always received an email outlining what would be open.

I agree you were asked about FP's because you would have needed to use a park entry to be able to use them. They didn't explain that which they could/should have but since you did not tell them you did have FP's they likely decided you did not so didn't go further with the explanation.

But, now you've gone and know what it's about. No more booking stress! I still think they're going to have to modify these events more and that they likely aren't going to continue on for years.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:32 AM   #14
patch7777
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

My family was there last night. We got in early at 6 with full knowledge that the party did not start until 9. Once it started there were many free ice cream bars stations with little to no wait. We actually couldn’t eat any more, Castmembers were literally making fun of us for turning them down.

We did everything we wanted to, including Slinky Dog twice, TSM three times, R&R three times and ToT was virtually a walk on all night. Short lines for the characters. Ewoks were pretty cute.
All in all it was a great night and we are really happy we were able to go.
patch7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #15
Belle & Ariel
Two Bedroom

I will add we did an AP event Friday morning prior to park opening and it was just the opposite. Crowds were very low. We did Slinky and Midway several times in the hour.
Cms need to be trained though. At check in they scan your magic band and put fastpasses on it. They didn't know which rides it was for. At Slinky they asked if this was your first time and scanned and sent you through FP side. We didn't do Aliens so don't know. At Midway Mania they told us we couldn't scan till after 9 and sent through standby. After 9 when we tried to use other cm was there and told us they had expired at 9 and did not let us use.
There was also bus service from Boardwalk which was not disclosed to us. We saw a bus there after we had walked over. I appreciate event but wish communication and training was better.

New AP count. Dec 10. Jan 5 (15) Feb 4 (19) March 6. (25) April/May 8 (33) June 9 (42) Sept 7 (49)
Old 09-27-2018, 12:14 PM   #16
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

I kind of agree with OP on all the comments (we attended the 9/19 one). The bus drop off is extremely hot and long (and....did anyone notice the Golden Oaks parking is much, much.closer). I'm hoping Disney will take notice and put up a few shade umbrellas and maybe offer a few golf cart type rides (like SSR and OKW does) for those struggling with the distance and heat. We also had issues finding the ice cream. Once found, only two choices Mickey Bar or Strawberry popsicle. They had the Mickey Bar box out of the freezer when handing out so everyone opening theirs would drop to the ground from the stick because it was melted. All in all, not stressing in getting another ticket again. Sticking to my opinion that a perk that everyone can take advantage of far exceeds a party that only the few can experience.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:00 AM   #17
Ludwig von Chuck
Grand Villa

Attended 9/26 MM at DHS and we had a great time.

- Check in: we got to the DHS front entrance at 6:15, and as hoped, we were able to get in right away, no wait.
- Attractions before 9PM: we were able to enjoy ToT right away (less than 10min wait) and then headed to Toy Story Land. While there, we rode TSMM and Slinky Dog and fully explored Toy Story Land taking lots of pictures (loved it).
- Shows: we were able to get back to Grauman's right before Disney Movie Magic and had great views of it and the Galactic Spectacular (an awesome show).
- Characters: After Star Wars, we went straight to the Muppet Theater to meet Sweetums. To our surprise, he was out before 9PM, so we only waited 5 minutes to see him. As usual during MM, the interaction was unhurried and fun. None of the other characters interested us, so I can't comment on their lines.
- Food: at Backlot Express, we waited in a fairly short line (5 minutes). We so much prefer the voucher approach.
- Attractions after 9PM: we headed over to RR; unfortunately it was down. No sweat, we headed back to TSL and rode TSMM three more times (my DW was determined to beat me; didn't happen) and Slinky Dog one more time. We skipped the Saucers (I don't like to spin).

All in all, it was a great experience.

P.S. Mickey Bars were plentiful.

BRV owners since 2009

First trip: Nov 76 at PVR for my 8th birthday
Last trip: Oct 17 at PVB to take my granddaughter to MNSSHP
Next trip: Jul 19 at AKV with all my grandchildren (4 girls)

Moonlight Magic: AK x2, MK, Epcot x2, DHS, and TL
Ludwig von Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:26 AM   #18
ajc
Grand Villa

We went and had an ok time. The projection on Grauman's was nice (but loud). Walk on T of T so went twice. Food voucher was good. Didn't do character M&G. Rode saucers 25 min wait for short ride but more of a whip ride than spin type.
Line for tsm & slinky were 45 to 50 min at 10:30 pm so we passed.
DH Mickey bar came off stick but he was able to put it back on.
Only saw white T shirt for event (a collectable pin would have been nice).
Not enough rides for the volume so I agree with OP that MK had better outcome for the volume.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #19
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle & Ariel View Post
I will add we did an AP event Friday morning prior to park opening and it was just the opposite. Crowds were very low. We did Slinky and Midway several times in the hour.
Cms need to be trained though. At check in they scan your magic band and put fastpasses on it. They didn't know which rides it was for. At Slinky they asked if this was your first time and scanned and sent you through FP side. We didn't do Aliens so don't know. At Midway Mania they told us we couldn't scan till after 9 and sent through standby. After 9 when we tried to use other cm was there and told us they had expired at 9 and did not let us use.
There was also bus service from Boardwalk which was not disclosed to us. We saw a bus there after we had walked over. I appreciate event but wish communication and training was better.
Are you saying that you received FastPasses for any ride you that wanted to go on (like the ones you get after a DVC tour), or that they were for specific rides but you weren't told which ones?
Old 09-28-2018, 10:26 AM   #20
Belle & Ariel
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
Are you saying that you received FastPasses for any ride you that wanted to go on (like the ones you get after a DVC tour), or that they were for specific rides but you weren't told which ones?
This was not member magic but AP event prepark opening. I do not know what fast passes were for other than the slinky one we were instructed to use. The cms at entry who scanned them on and the one at midway mania apparently didn't know either so they went unused.