home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Adult Travelers - Singles, Couples, DINKS
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #1
ravena
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default WDW without your significant others?

Hey, all! A Disney + relationship dilemma: I'm visiting Orlando for work without my significant other, and I'm debating whether I stop by a park (the after hours event at MK sounds perfect). I know my partner will be disappointed I'm disneying without him, even if he says I should go and have a good time.

He's never been to WDW (though he grew up close to DL). I've been to WDW three times. We visit DL a couple times/year. I have been to parks alone and loved it, so going solo is no problem at all.

If you were spending three days with free time alone in Orlando, would you visit a park or two without your partner? How would your significant others feel? I'm from Washington state, so it feels impossible to turn down WDW while in Orlando ... is it selfish to visit knowing my SO is sitting on the couch at home?

Alternatives to a park: dinner at nice Disney restaurant, visiting Disney Springs, strolling the boardwalk ...

Thanks for the input!
ravena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:14 PM   #2
MichiganGood
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I would totally go to the park. My wife and I don't get caught up in that kind of stuff though. She would understand that I would love seeing the park and it makes complete sense that I would be going by myself if she wasn't even in the same time zone. Sounds kind of petty to me.

There's no sense depriving yourself just because your significant other cant go with you.
MichiganGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:18 AM   #3
Goofy Dad 13
Grand Villa

I am doing it in a month. Totally should do it given the distance you will be traveling.

Goofy Dad 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:20 AM   #4
Djohn06
Grand Villa

If DW was five hours away via plane and wanted to go to WDW without me I would encourage her to go without me and have a great time. It would be selfish of me to deprive her of that moment for tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us.

Djohn06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:35 AM   #5
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Asking that question on this website is like asking a bunch of alcoholics if they would drink by themselves if there was a bottle of whiskey sitting next to them.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:37 AM   #6
Adelard of Bath
Two Bedroom

I've gone, while wife was at a convention...I remember wandering around, kinda like "ho hum", just by myself...then I left.

Then there was the time she was at another convention, and I went to MK, rode Space Mountain, left and took the bus to AK, walked to the back and ate a sandwich at Tamu Tamu refreshments that I had been eyeing, then walked out and got the bus to Epcot Center, walked around to Morocco and ate at Tangerine Cafe, continued walking to the bridge by China which was "up" and I didn't want to wait so I turned around and went ALLLLLL the way back around, got to the front of Epcot, and was hurrying like they say not to, fell and skinned my knee badly, and was on the bus back to OKW and this nice girl was like, "Sir, did you know your knee is bleeding" which it was, quite readily.

Lots of walking....in retrospect, I can't believe I didn't go to HS that day, too, so I could say I was in all four parks - surely I could have found something to eat in HS.

Point is...if there is a point...going by yourself might not be the same...
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:47 AM   #7
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

I have made several solo trips, and have another one in October. I wouldn’t hesitate to go if I were you. When you are alone, you can go at your pace and do exactly what you want without consulting anyone else. It’s great!
Old 08-25-2018, 03:30 AM   #8
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Absolutely you should go to a park solo as well as all of your alternatives. In fact, I do so every trip. Of course the lack of a significant other would make it much more remarkable if I was with someone rather than solo...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:03 AM   #9
debabe
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravena View Post
Hey, all! A Disney + relationship dilemma: I'm visiting Orlando for work without my significant other, and I'm debating whether I stop by a park (the after hours event at MK sounds perfect). I know my partner will be disappointed I'm Disney-ing without him, even if he says I should go and have a good time.

If you were spending three days with free time alone in Orlando, would you visit a park or two without your partner? How would your significant others feel? I'm from Washington state, so it feels impossible to turn down WDW while in Orlando ... is it selfish to visit knowing my SO is sitting on the couch at home?

Alternatives to a park: dinner at nice Disney restaurant, visiting Disney Springs, strolling the boardwalk ...

Thanks for the input!

Is there any way at all that your partner can get a couple of days off work and join you on this business trip? Your company is probably paying for the hotel and your airfare, so why not a mini-vacation for partner and bring him along? Another airfare, a couple of days at the Parks and a nice meal (or two) at Disney Springs. It might put a bit of a dent in your household budget, but on the other hand, there will be no "I visited WDW solo" guilt and it may encourage you both to visit WDW again very soon!

Just my two cents...

debabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:14 AM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I have never made a solo trip without Robin. But saying that, its not that I would not.....the opportunity has never come up. Neither one of us would have a problem if either of us went to WDW solo.

I say go and have fun. No one in a relationship should ever have an issue with their partner going to Disney solo. If they do, there are some real serious issues that need to be addressed.......and I say run.