home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Adult Travelers - Singles, Couples, DINKS
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
DisneyEater
Grand Villa

Default Taking my first solo trip and Superbowl

I've never been to WDW solo. Worried I will be lonely or bored without the kids or another adult, but wanted to try at least once. Any advice?

Also, my birds are in the big game! Any recommendations on where to watch? Thinking about the bar at The Wave.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
missa986
One Bedroom

You're going to have a blast. I ended up taking a solo 10 day trip a few years ago when the rest of the family couldn't make it.

I had my headphones and some good music going most of the time walking around the parks. Kinda makes everything seem a little surreal not hearing kids screaming, etc.

I downloaded sudoku to work on in between browsing social media, etc.

Sometimes it was fun to just sit in the parks and people watch. People are so entertaining... especially with kids.

The best part is that you get to do pretty much whatever you want. Want to sleep in until noon? do it. Want to lie by the pool all day? do it. Want to drink your way around Epcot? do it.

People are more chatty than I expected - definitely more chatty than in real, non-Disney life.

If you do get bored and want to have a real-life conversation with another adult, the bars are fantastic. I met an awesome guy at the bar at the GF one late Sunday night and ended up hanging out with him and his friends on and off for the rest of the trip.

Don't stress to much and just go with it. You'll be fine.

For watching the game... Maybe ESPN zone at the Boardwalk?

Oct/Nov 2018: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo
Oct/Nov 2016: Boardwalk Villas
Sept 2014: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani
Oct/Nov 2012: Pop Century
May 2009: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo
Dec 2000: Polynesian Resort
Dec 1993: Caribbean Beach Resort
missa986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
DisneyEater
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by missa986 View Post
You're going to have a blast. I ended up taking a solo 10 day trip a few years ago when the rest of the family couldn't make it.

I had my headphones and some good music going most of the time walking around the parks. Kinda makes everything seem a little surreal not hearing kids screaming, etc.

I downloaded sudoku to work on in between browsing social media, etc.

Sometimes it was fun to just sit in the parks and people watch. People are so entertaining... especially with kids.

The best part is that you get to do pretty much whatever you want. Want to sleep in until noon? do it. Want to lie by the pool all day? do it. Want to drink your way around Epcot? do it.

People are more chatty than I expected - definitely more chatty than in real, non-Disney life.

If you do get bored and want to have a real-life conversation with another adult, the bars are fantastic. I met an awesome guy at the bar at the GF one late Sunday night and ended up hanging out with him and his friends on and off for the rest of the trip.

Don't stress to much and just go with it. You'll be fine.

For watching the game... Maybe ESPN zone at the Boardwalk?
Thanks for the pep talk! 10 days is crazy. Will just be 3 days for me.

I think ESPN zone is advanced purchase and like $100 to get in. Thinking about somewhere lower key than that and not so expensive.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

The ESPN Club is located on the Boardwalk in the Epcot resort area is offering a special package for those wishing to watch the Super Bowl there. VIP seating costs $100 per person, which is actually a commitment to a minimum expenditure of $100 on food, beverage or merchandise while you watch your game (tax and tip not included.) Guests will pay any additional expenditures should they go over the $100. While you can reserve seating to the game of your choice approximately two weeks in advance, ESPN Club typically takes Super Bowl reservations in advance!
To make VIP reservations, call the ESPN Club directly at 407-939-1177 between 11:30 a.m.-1:00 a.m. There is no charge for children under the age of 3. Tables in Wonderland, Annual Passholders or Disney Vacation Club discounts are not available for VIP Seating.

Other info you might want to know about ESPN Club game viewing:
  • VIP Seating is the only way to make reservations for the game at ESPN Club.
  • VIP game viewing is on a theater sized TV in the main dining area, though many other smaller TVs are situated around the room.
Disney Resorts

Many of the lounges at the Walt Disney World Resort Hotels will have the game on. Lounges to consider include:
  • Martha’s Vineyard Lounge
  • Bellvue Lounge
  • Crockett’s Tavern
  • Mizner’s Lounge
  • Turf Club Lounge
  • Territory Lounge
  • Ale and Compass Lounge
Disney Springs

Guests interested in watching the Super Bowl at Disney Springs should visit one of the following locations:
  • Splitsville
  • The BOATHOUSE
  • Paradiso 37
Additional locations will be added as released.
Additional Football Fun at Walt Disney World

• Resort Guests looking to watch the Super Bowl may visit the lounge area or food court in their resort. The game is also available on in-room televisions.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

ESPN Zone will be a Football fan's dream destination. It will be alive with energy with fans from both teams.

We often will grab an UBER and head over to Buffalo Wild Wings. Still a great fan environment, but at a substantially less price.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
Ariel's Sister
Studio

FYI the ESPN also has television screens in the bathrooms so you’ll never miss a big play!
Ariel's Sister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:42 PM   #7
DisneyEater
Grand Villa

Not looking to drop the $100 for a huge crowd at ESPN. Hoping one of the other bars will be slightly less packed.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #8
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyEater View Post
Not looking to drop the $100 for a huge crowd at ESPN. Hoping one of the other bars will be slightly less packed.
My fall back lounge is The Wave, which you noted above.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #9
DisneyEater
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
My fall back lounge is The Wave, which you noted above.
Watched another playoff game there. It was a good spot. Not too crowded, but still a bunch of Eagles fans!
Old 01-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #10
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Sounds like you have good advice on the lounges for the game.

I've done 4 days by myself at WDW and I enjoyed it a lot. Spent time relaxing, reading, doing what I want. Met someone one day and hung out for a while. Honestly it was nice to have so much time to myself. I may need to do that more often LOL