home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #41
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolaura84 View Post
I was planning to do this, but have heard that some people were getting pushback recently about using credits for more people than are on the room reservation. Is there anyone who has been able to do this recently? Id hate to get there and have it be a fight to use the credits when we want to.
We did this in June with no issues. Bought deluxe plan for a 1 night stay w/ 3 people. This covered one dinner for the 3 of us, and one dinner for us plus our 3 guests (who stayed in a different room that night before joining us in a 2BR for the rest of the week). We stayed in 3 different resorts that week, and used the mugs in all 3 with no issues. No pushback on paying for our guest dinners.

We used TiW the rest of the week, and saved aprox $400. I estimated the one meal (at Ohana) that we paid for all 6 was about the same cost as the one night of the deluxe plan, so we got a meal for 3 @ Cape May for free, plus 3 mugs and some snacks.
Nov 2017 BWV/BRV/AKV
Dec 2016, POR
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #42
Lolaura84
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
We did this in June with no issues. Bought deluxe plan for a 1 night stay w/ 3 people. This covered one dinner for the 3 of us, and one dinner for us plus our 3 guests (who stayed in a different room that night before joining us in a 2BR for the rest of the week). We stayed in 3 different resorts that week, and used the mugs in all 3 with no issues. No pushback on paying for our guest dinners.

We used TiW the rest of the week, and saved aprox $400. I estimated the one meal (at Ohana) that we paid for all 6 was about the same cost as the one night of the deluxe plan, so we got a meal for 3 @ Cape May for free, plus 3 mugs and some snacks.
Thanks! I'm hoping that any issues that have been reported with this are isolated, and we'll be able to use it when we want. I'm glad to hear your recent success!
Lolaura84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #43
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

We use the TIW unless it is a split stay of only 1-3 nights at one site where we can break up the Dining Plan food over 2-4 days. Just too much food for us. Also no discount on libations.

The Benefit of the Dining plan is anyone on the room with charging privledges can use it. So, if your group of 9 splits up to different parks, different restaurants, it would work.

TIW includes libations. It works best for our style of eating but with DVC discount we have to make sure we spend more than $800 a year. We do not always do that at sit down restaurnts in a year so have recently just been opting to use our DVC or AP discounts. Lastly, TIW would require you to all eat together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherit View Post
The situation: Nine "adults" for 8 nights @ WDW pre-xmas; mostly 20-somethings (DS24, DS23, & DD19 are each bringing a guest), plus me, DH and our 10 yr old gopher-pup-turned-Disney-Adult son.

Our dining habits: breakfast in villa, a QS and/or "snack" along the way, and 1 "sit down meal" (aka TS). About half of the party would enjoy / be legal for a libation with that meal. We do on occasion get dessert; we also might get appetizer(s) to split amongst group. We've done Dining Plan in the past and - at times - especially in heat of summer - we find ourselves either awash in guilt or waddling in pain because we either didn't "optimize our opportunities" on our dining plan or, to our gastric dismay, we did.

So I was thinking no dining plan this time, use TIW for the TS discounts, which we've done before. I basically only need about 2-3 TS meals with this sized herd to break even; after that, it's money back to me. But now I'm also considering just getting the dining plan for the first leg of the trip (trip is split across 3 resorts into 2 nts / 5 nts / 1 nt). It would get refillable mugs for the group, cover a meal at Boma and CPalace, 2 QS meals, and net them all 4 snacks (which could be cashed in across 3 days, from check-in to check out.) So 2 questions:

1) Disney still allows you to purchase the plan for just ONE leg of a consecutive-stay trip, right? Even if the stays are "linked" in MDE?

2) Naughty question but... aren't the mugs good for 2 weeks?

On the one hand - I love the idea of telling this group - you're on the plan. Here's your limits. Let Disney manage the mayhem. On the other hand, I like saving a buck, especially with a group this big. And with Magic Bands allowing them to charge food, I could always say, get your QS and snack(s) as needed, just use the band. They are pretty good gophers, as are their chosen guests. I debated on "incentivizing" (you each get $75, per cost of the Plan; whatever you don't spend each day, you get back). But they carry some of their father's DNA and might opt to starve themselves (and their guests) the entire week. Can't have that, I've gotta return these guests to their families in time for xmas, preferably not looking/feeling like they spent a week with Scrooge McDuck!

Thoughts on best means to manage (and any tips on herd management) appreciated.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #44
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Are you all staying in the same room?

Tiw well work well, if planning on a lot of TS meals and adding adult beverages.

Adding the DDP or DDDP for the middle part of the trip works well too.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #45
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

In the past, we have bought the DDP for "cost" control/meal control. Basically, you have a meal credit, get what you want with the credit. Easy to keep track and no pressure of costs. Does it save money, no....but it makes life easier with a big group.