home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #21
Hi from RI
Grand Villa

I vote for TIW...simpler and all that dining plan complications among so many people at a bust time of year to me isn't worth trying to keep track of to potentially save a few dollars IMO.

ME Nicole ,DH , DS24 : , DD22 , DD14
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #22
poster44
Two Bedroom

One more reason the DP might be a good idea: we took a friend's son w us and he was so cognizant of the prices, he had to be pushed to choose something that wasn't the least expensive item on the menu. Just in case you had someone that was concerned w pricing, this way you can just tell them to choose anything from the Entree list, no problem w cost. By the end of your first two nights, that hesitancy might be over, too.

I'm taking mainly family, so many kudos to you for taking your children's friends, too.
poster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:54 PM   #23
nrspepe
Two Bedroom

We always get the dining plan when having larger groups. Not all that concerned if it costs a few extra dollars. Itís the convenience. Hereís your plan...anything else is on you. Additionally if peeps decide to go their own way, you donít have to be concerned about them not having use of your TIW.
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:43 PM   #24
BuffaloJim
One Bedroom

If youíre in different rooms, you can get the Deluxe Dining Plan for one of them and share it amongst everyone. Three meals per day per person is too much, but if you share the DxDP, it can really be great. We did this once and it worked out fantastically well.
BuffaloJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:18 PM   #25
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

This is a group of 8 adults probably often splitting up into small groups of 2, 4 or 6...

The DDP is going to be useless. DDP is good for groups that A) have a kid per adult because kids are such a great value on the DDP and B) want several higher cost prix fixe character or entertainment meals. You have neither.

Whether you get TIW is another story. Can you leverage across two trips? TIW is useful if you can utilize its year duration. One trip? Nah. You may break even or come out a touch ahead, but you only save when YOU are there to pay. 3 groups of 20-somethings will not be eating together all the time.

So I'd not do either really. You already get your DVC discount when you're there to pay.
fuzzylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:53 AM   #26
zafiro
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherit View Post
(Paying for food and changing the Netflix password are two proven ways to elicit interaction with my adult children, lol.)
So true!!!
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #27
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherit View Post
This party of mine is (a) my spouse and kids and (b) the invited "guest" of each 20-something yr old child (so 3 guests in total).

As host- I'm only planning to pay... not to collect.

As such... I figure the least each person can do is grace me with their presence, lol.

If not... well... no soup for you!

(Paying for food and changing the Netflix password are two proven ways to elicit interaction with my adult children, lol.)
Ours are on our phone plan, suspend their service and they suddenly find a way to call.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #28
LauraLea
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
Ours are on our phone plan, suspend their service and they suddenly find a way to call.
Yep, that is how I get my 30-something son to call regularly.

But to his credit he does contribute monthly to the bill. Just much cheaper to put him on our account than for him to have a single line on his own.

Laura
LauraLea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #29
melk
Grand Villa

No real advice here but wanted to say hello. I remember your great trip reports from the past and couldnít believe it when I read the ages of your kids in the first post. I shouldnít be surprised as I have three young adults now myself but man, how time flies.

Happy planning and I hope we get a recap of how it all went. On a recent trip we had a couple of the kidís friends with us and we hardly saw any of them. That was, until at mealtime when Dad was footing the bill.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #30
nrspepe
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
This is a group of 8 adults probably often splitting up into small groups of 2, 4 or 6...

The DDP is going to be useless. DDP is good for groups that A) have a kid per adult because kids are such a great value on the DDP and B) want several higher cost prix fixe character or entertainment meals. You have neither.

Whether you get TIW is another story. Can you leverage across two trips? TIW is useful if you can utilize its year duration. One trip? Nah. You may break even or come out a touch ahead, but you only save when YOU are there to pay. 3 groups of 20-somethings will not be eating together all the time.

So I'd not do either really. You already get your DVC discount when you're there to pay.
Not sure why DDP would be useless. When we are treating, it provides great piece of mind by assuring us that our guests will be fed (especially if they go off on their own) and we know the cost upfront. If they want more, they pay.
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote