home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-22-2019, 04:09 PM   #11
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
Assuming it is open

All pool bars are not created equally.

Did I ever tell of the time when we made SSR front desk open the pool bar at the Grand Stand?

It was hell week (aka: the week between Christmas and NYE) and the weather was really nice, lower 80's. We went to the pool around noon so the kids can swim and adults could relax, drink a few and watch the college football bowl games. Our group was not the only one to show up, apparently several other families had the same "genius" plan. As you can already guess, the bar was closed. We got on the house phone and called the front desk, got to the manager and start bitching up a storm. Long story short, 10 minutes later bar was open and everyone was happy.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #12
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
We do as well although now that they moved the security it's not as direct to get to the boat as it used to be. Instead they have a guard sitting there all hours who doesn't screen Poly people but makes certain they don't go that way. boo
It's been a year since I've gone that way. I really don't remember it being that bad, but I could be forgetting something. Still the wait for the ferry is less than the regular boat and not as far as the monorail which can be busy too. I might be wrong on it at this point though...
Old 05-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #13
reblzmom
Grand Villa

My family rolls their eyes as I make them walk across the Poly to the small boat dock. I will never say never but its been years since I have taken the ferry. I am ok with the monorail, but, especially if we are staying at the Poly, it is small boat to MK for me!
Old 05-22-2019, 05:30 PM   #14
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
It's been a year since I've gone that way. I really don't remember it being that bad, but I could be forgetting something. Still the wait for the ferry is less than the regular boat and not as far as the monorail which can be busy too. I might be wrong on it at this point though...
You now would be close to walking past the monorail entrance before getting to the landing for the ferries. Although as I understand it they are ripping up the TTC and changing it again. I'm hopeful that it improves but I don't foresee that it's going to be the direct walk from Poly to the ferry anymore.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #15
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
You now would be close to walking past the monorail entrance before getting to the landing for the ferries. Although as I understand it they are ripping up the TTC and changing it again. I'm hopeful that it improves but I don't foresee that it's going to be the direct walk from Poly to the ferry anymore.
I guess I don't find the extra distance to be that far. Still pretty direct to me. I have heard of a redo for TTC as well. We'll have to see. I'm really just looking forward to the Epcot revamp and hope they remove double bag checks from MK.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #16
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I guess I don't find the extra distance to be that far. Still pretty direct to me. I have heard of a redo for TTC as well. We'll have to see. I'm really just looking forward to the Epcot revamp and hope they remove double bag checks from MK.
As you had commented on the walk time it seemed like you were comparing. So no, it's not that different. As with all transportation the amount of time you spend waiting for it can be the difference.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:09 PM   #17
Steamboat42
Studio

If we have a stroller we will take the monorail for sure. It is just so much easier (and the fastest imo).

If we do not have a stroller and we are not rushing to make an ADR or rope drop, then we take the boat.

Exiting if the boat is there or we see it approaching we take it. If not, we continue up to the monorail.
Steamboat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:47 PM   #18
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
All pool bars are not created equally.
What's ridiculous is that the poolbars with the latest hours are at the value resorts (justification being they are the only bars at the values).

Quote:
Did I ever tell of the time when we made SSR front desk open the pool bar at the Grand Stand?
Did you ever know that you're my hero?
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:52 PM   #19
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
As you had commented on the walk time it seemed like you were comparing. So no, it's not that different. As with all transportation the amount of time you spend waiting for it can be the difference.
Yep, I was comparing walk time to the TTC vs going to the 2nd floor of the GCH. I was thinking even with the extra distance you have to go, it still felt less than going there but we usually stay in Moorea. The relatively low wait time for the ferry makes us choose it in the morning. Next trip we'll have to time it to really see. I timed walks to the GCH from Moorea but never to the TTC so I could be totally off. Or it could be having a kid who is easily distracted makes the CGH walk-through take too long.

I'll have to be scientific at some point. We'll be at BLT in a few weeks so if we have nothing better to do, we'll time it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
What's ridiculous is that the poolbars with the latest hours are at the value resorts (justification being they are the only bars at the values).
I've noticed that. A couple months ago we were at BWV and they closed at 8. 8pm... seriously...
Old 05-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #20
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Yep, I was comparing walk time to the TTC vs going to the 2nd floor of the GCH. I was thinking even with the extra distance you have to go, it still felt less than going there but we usually stay in Moorea. The relatively low wait time for the ferry makes us choose it in the morning. Next trip we'll have to time it to really see. I timed walks to the GCH from Moorea but never to the TTC so I could be totally off. Or it could be having a kid who is easily distracted makes the CGH walk-through take too long.

I'll have to be scientific at some point. We'll be at BLT in a few weeks so if we have nothing better to do, we'll time it out
Oh - I never even consider catching the monorail at GCH unless we happen to be there. We go to the TTC and pick Ferry or the Express monorail if going to MK. I was always talking of 50 yards difference or so.