home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #1
disneyteach
Grand Villa

Default AP - renew or new?

I'm curious if anyone has done the math on the 'breaking point' of whether it is smarter to renew or let AP expire and buy new?

DH's current AP expires 8/16/19 and we have another trip planned for 2/15/20. We will likely have another trip in late July-early August 2020. So I'm wondering it we should just renew the AP or wait until Feb and buy new. The math makes my brain hurt
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Ours just expired a few days ago and I decided not to renew.

We did buy new ones for November 2019 (yep! 6 month gap). We will get another trip in end of October 2020 (who knows maybe squeeze one in?).

Last edited by AnnaS; 05-18-2019 at 02:48 PM.
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyteach View Post
I'm curious if anyone has done the math on the 'breaking point' of whether it is smarter to renew or let AP expire and buy new?

DH's current AP expires 8/16/19 and we have another trip planned for 2/15/20. We will likely have another trip in late July-early August 2020. So I'm wondering it we should just renew the AP or wait until Feb and buy new. The math makes my brain hurt
It makes my brain hurt too. Just know that the renewal will start where the old one leaves off. 6 months is a long span to "waste" even at the renewal price but then again there will probably (likely) be another price hike in the meantime. . The only way to minimize this is to plan a trip in beteween.

For the first time since we started getting APs we are in a position to get a renewal and not have a sizable gap between trips. Yay!! Hope we can sneak past another price hike. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by bubster; 05-18-2019 at 02:49 PM.
bubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
Goofy Dad 13
Grand Villa

That is a long gap for a renewal, I would just buy the new AP as soon as you are able to avoid any of the anticipated price increases and activate it in Feb. Then you have until Feb 2121 to sneak in an extra trip.

Goofy Dad 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

We tend to do our trips in clusters: 2-3 trips in 12 months and then wait a year. Currently, it makes more sense for us to just buy a new pass at the start of the next cluster.

Just look ahead at the number of days you are likely to need entry in the next 12 months and see if the renewal price makes sense.

To be honest, if we plan on uncharges like parties or After Hours, or a freebie like Moonlight Magic, it might be worth it to us next time to just buy a park hopper for a few days and then use the uncharges on other days.

That may be too much math, though!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #6
Wonderdog4
One Bedroom

Someone way smarter than I has done the math. If I remember correctly, if there is more than a three or four month gap between your renewal and your next trip, it is financially smarter to wait and buy a new AP. That is assuming that you're planning more than one trip of decent length during a 12 month period of time.
Wonderdog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
brp
Add-on Aficionado

I look at it this way- what is the AP cost per month. Say it's $500 to renew. Then that's $41.67/month.

One saves $100 for the renewal. So that's 2.4 months. if the gap is > 2.4 months, makes sense to get new rather than renew.

We have a different renewal situation. Ours expires on 9/16. We go back starting 10/17. I spoke with the CS folks and got an exception to be able to renew 1 day past the 30 day period, so all good there.

However, it would expire 9/19/20. Our plans for 2020 are likely October and December, so we'd only get the upcoming October trip (4 days) out of it.

We do have some UT tickets to bridge, so would save a bunch, but that would also work in the future.

So, trying to decide what to do for October. (Small digression, but same basic topic).

Cheers.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #8
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

The answer resides 100% is your visiting habits. If you are going to go 7 or 8 days or go for 2 independent visits in the next 12 months, then renew. For us, we plan on 2-3 visits per AP cycle. We will then take a few months off, then plan the next 2-3 visits so that we are paying for 2 AP for 4-6 visits over 3 years.

For example:
AP #1 (start Jun 15th)
June 15-27-2019
Nov 23-29-2019
May 31-June 10-2020 (second June visit)
AP #2 (Nov start)
Nov 20-25th-2020
June 2021
Oct 2021

We don't typically know our plans until around the time of renewal, but this premise is to buy 2 AP for ~3 years.
----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by ealvarado8899; 05-18-2019 at 02:47 PM.
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarado8899 View Post
The answer resides 100% is your visiting habits. If you are going to go 7 or 8 days or go for 2 independent visits in the next 12 months, then renew. For us, we plan on 2-3 visits per AP cycle. We will then take a few months off, then plan the next 2-3 visits so that we are paying for 2 AP for 4-6 visits over 3 years.
That's what we do.

The nice thing about having an AP (and extra points lying around) is that it makes a last minute trip quite attainable!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #10
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
That's what we do.

The nice thing about having an AP (and extra points lying around) is that it makes a last minute trip quite attainable!

Dirk
For us, my entire family is in the Orlando area. So, dropping by and staying with family is always an option. With this, I should probably always renew, but I tend to play it more planned than spontaneous.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote