home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 05-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #21
Mass Transit
Grand Villa
 
Mass Transit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Western Mass; BLT; PVB; CCV
Posts: 1,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonRob View Post
What went wrong? Im not sure I can say things went wrong more than the way things are set up they are insanely against reality. First, im not "walking" a res. Im booked Nov 30 to Dec4 at SSR and Dec 4 to 8 at BLT. I called yesterday to try and switch Nov 30 to Dec 4 to Dec 1 to 3 was available but because the 30th wasnt available I couldnt make the switch and waitlist just the 30th so instead I have to book a 4 day wait list. Today I called to try and grab those three days and bam, they are gone.

They showed up this after noon again, I got a CM right on the phone who grabbed them but because I was modifying a res she had to do something different and lost them. This is bull...
I wanted to make a modification to a reservation and called MS. The CM didn't see the same room availability that I was seeing while on the phone with her. I guess I went too far in the electronic process of making the reservation changes myself and actually had the rooms "held" for me. Once I closed the webpage, the rooms suddenly popped-up as available and she was able to make the changes for me.

Rooms disappear and re-appear because people get drunk, book a vacation, sober up the next morning, and cancel all the time. Or is that just me??
__________________




Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #22
TexasChick
Grand Villa
 
TexasChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,025
Default

It sounds like youíre mad because your 7 month switch from SSR didnít happen. I understand the specifics as you laid them out, but a lot of other owners are constantly trying to switch from their home resorts to another resort as well. Iíve only been a member for 3.5 years, but even I have seen a huge change in that time with the 7 month availability. Everyone keeps preaching to ďbuy where you want to stayĒ or ďbuy where you wouldnít mind stayingĒ. Unless you want to get into the wait listing and stalking game to switch at 7 months or less during very busy times of the year, Iíd suggest you sell your SSR points if that isnít where you want to stay. It can be usually be done, but itís a lot more work than it used to be. Sorry to hear it didnít work out for your trip.
__________________
TexasChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:55 PM   #23
Crafty
Grand Villa
 
Crafty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonRob View Post
What went wrong? Im not sure I can say things went wrong more than the way things are set up they are insanely against reality. First, im not "walking" a res. Im booked Nov 30 to Dec4 at SSR and Dec 4 to 8 at BLT. I called yesterday to try and switch Nov 30 to Dec 4 to Dec 1 to 3 was available but because the 30th wasnt available I couldnt make the switch and waitlist just the 30th so instead I have to book a 4 day wait list. Today I called to try and grab those three days and bam, they are gone.

They showed up this after noon again, I got a CM right on the phone who grabbed them but because I was modifying a res she had to do something different and lost them. This is bull...


It sounds to me that the solution would be to buy some more points. Yeah, I know that that sounds counter intuitive.

A points buffer would have allowed you to grab the three days, then cancel the SSR reservation, and then wait list the first day at BLT. I assume that you didnít have the points buffer because you didnít do that.

If you own at SSR and want to switch at 7 months on a regular basis, you would use the extra points again and again.

Save yourself some angst. Buy more points.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #24
pdude81
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post


It sounds to me that the solution would be to buy some more points. Yeah, I know that that sounds counter intuitive.

A points buffer would have allowed you to grab the three days, then cancel the SSR reservation, and then wait list the first day at BLT. I assume that you didn’t have the points buffer because you didn’t do that.

If you own at SSR and want to switch at 7 months on a regular basis, you would use the extra points again and again.

Save yourself some angst. Buy more points.
I think the three days were just outside the 7 month window so that's why that wouldn't work. However, when the full 4 showed up later in the next day a regular online modification normally does the trick. The 7 month window for popular resorts can be very tricky. However, if they were truly there I don't know why the CM couldn't just fill the 4-day waitlist and then process it with the available rooms.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #25
Commish
One Bedroom
 
Commish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern NJ - NYC
Posts: 458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post


It sounds to me that the solution would be to buy some more points. Yeah, I know that that sounds counter intuitive.

A points buffer would have allowed you to grab the three days, then cancel the SSR reservation, and then wait list the first day at BLT. I assume that you didnít have the points buffer because you didnít do that.
Great point here and very true - having 3 Dec UY contracts - I have zero flexibility on near term bookings - for trips after December 1 I have my full 2020 arsenal loaded and ready to deploy - I am holding a week BRV reservation for a friend and told her - at 7 months we will look to revamp her entire trip as a I can book a side reservation with my VB points and piece together an alternate vacation

"More Points the Better" - low points really limits your flexibility

(I have never banked a point and with Dec UY in a perpetual state of borrowing!)
__________________
Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #26
Crafty
Grand Villa
 
Crafty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commish View Post
Great point here and very true - having 3 Dec UY contracts - I have zero flexibility on near term bookings - for trips after December 1 I have my full 2020 arsenal loaded and ready to deploy - I am holding a week BRV reservation for a friend and told her - at 7 months we will look to revamp her entire trip as a I can book a side reservation with my VB points and piece together an alternate vacation

"More Points the Better" - low points really limits your flexibility

(I have never banked a point and with Dec UY in a perpetual state of borrowing!)
I think that walkers and the 7 month window were also a factor here.

However, the difficulty of switching is amplified by not having a points buffer that allows you to have multiple reservations at once.

We took a long look at adding on at RR, but decided against it. We would have ended up with less points.

More points equals more flexibility for us. It may not be the best for everyone. I do think that extra points smooths 7 month or less trading.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:49 PM   #27
Commish
One Bedroom
 
Commish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern NJ - NYC
Posts: 458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
I think that walkers and the 7 month window were also a factor here.

However, the difficulty of switching is amplified by not having a points buffer that allows you to have multiple reservations at once.

We took a long look at adding on at RR, but decided against it. We would have ended up with less points.

More points equals more flexibility for us. It may not be the best for everyone. I do think that extra points smooths 7 month or less trading.
Another consideration here that doesn't apply to most owners as many simply do not have the available points to cause disruptions in the reservation system. Assume a broker owning maximum DVC points (4,000) (yes brokers own points which are cheaper than paying DVC owners) can carpet bomb certain dates with multiple reservations (always appears to be the Thursdays that are jammed) This serves two purposes 1) prevents others from walking through the dates - 2) and when they cancel the excess reservations can swoop back in with non-home resort points - in many cases the more expensive weekend dates are easier to pick up -

My general point is that when there is a financial incentive, people/companies will use any advantage at their disposal to achieve the end goal.
__________________
Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:15 PM   #28
hilaw
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
I wanted to make a modification to a reservation and called MS. The CM didn't see the same room availability that I was seeing while on the phone with her. I guess I went too far in the electronic process of making the reservation changes myself and actually had the rooms "held" for me. Once I closed the webpage, the rooms suddenly popped-up as available and she was able to make the changes for me.

Rooms disappear and re-appear because people get drunk, book a vacation, sober up the next morning, and cancel all the time. Or is that just me??

What is sobering-up?
hilaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #29
Nickys
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commish View Post
But a renter can request a reservation that a point broker (with financial incentives) will walk for them - Individuals walking reservations get room accommodations for their vacation, The Broker has a profit motive to walk - and can hire employees and use technology to secure rooms (on the backs of DVC owners liquidating points below FMV to the broker)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commish View Post
Pretty insulting - I know precisely how the brokers work and operate do not presume otherwise - thank you
In that case, I apologise.

But I canít reconcile your assertion that a broker ďcan hire employees and use technology to secure rooms (on the backs of DVC owners liquidating points)Ē.

The brokers used to have a business model of being added as associate members to deeds and book the rooms themselves. They were forced to change that practice when DVC changed the rules, several years ago.

I therefore thought you were referring to that method. Perhaps you could explain what you meant by that line I quoted then?
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:56 PM   #30
Commish
One Bedroom
 
Commish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern NJ - NYC
Posts: 458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
In that case, I apologise.

But I can’t reconcile your assertion that a broker “can hire employees and use technology to secure rooms (on the backs of DVC owners liquidating points)”.

The brokers used to have a business model of being added as associate members to deeds and book the rooms themselves. They were forced to change that practice when DVC changed the rules, several years ago.

I therefore thought you were referring to that method. Perhaps you could explain what you meant by that line I quoted then?
Thank you and my comments were not specific to David's, (a successful reputable business - IMO)
  1. Essentially three sources of points 1) Direct Ownership (max 8,000 points per person I believe) a business could be run as a partnership with multiple owners 2) Transfers In - 3) Typical broker service DVC owner books reservation for Broker client
  2. Clearly there are limitations on Point Transfers - but a broker will/may own multiple (likely larger) contracts on their own - a small transfer of points would not be in their interest but a large transfer would
  3. The Brokers spread of $3.5-$4 per point - can result in millions in profits on high volume - with that amount of revenue can hire staff to build desirable rentals (with the House owned points)
  4. Brokers also could deploy "Straw Owners" (interests they indirectly control) to work in the Brokers Interests
  5. There are Disney reservation tools (Touring Plans Rezzie Sniper) and online DVC availability tools - in the broker business having immediate notification on changes in resort availibilty would be most beneficial - such system would be proprietary (this is an assumption but logical)
__________________
Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:56 PM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software