home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #1
Joeli
Two Bedroom

Default New Years 2020 suggestions...

So, initially DW and I had decided to spend Jan 2-6 at BWV (1BR) to miss the New Years scene. In reality we do not even know what that means as we have never experienced it...

Yesterday, DW and I decided to begin a new family tradition of spending New Years at WDW. So, We went ahead and booked a Deluxe Studio Preferred at SSR fro Dec 29-Jan2. This brings us to 9 days in total.

Now, I know many of you are professional holiday goers at the parks. I thought I would ask for some help and advice of things that go on during the New Years timing. We will be traveling with DS5 and DS2 (who will be 6 and 3 by then), and there is always a possibility that DW's parents will end up coming up for a few days.

Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!

Upcoming:
Feb 2020 - BWV
Dec/Jan 2020 - SSR (waitlisted for PVB)/BWV (Split for NYE)
Dec 2019 - RCCL Allure of the Seas
Nov 2019 - BWV
Oct 2019 - BWV
Sept 2019 - BLT
Aug 2019 - Hilton Bonnett creek

Done:
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Last edited by Joeli; 04-23-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
ADisneyPhan
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We will also be there during NYE for the first time. Very interested to hear the advice. Thanks for asking
Old 04-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
Commish
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
We went ahead and booked a Deluxe Studio Preferred at SSR fro Dec 29-Jan2. This brings us to 10 days in total.

Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!
In 2018 I did WDW NY for 1st time BWV & SSR Preferred for NYE-NYD -
a few observations -

It was cold! - raining on NY day felt sorry for SSR lifeguards -
It was crowded - I am used to WDW crowds - but severe crowds take away from enjoyment.

HS was ok for NYE - not as festive as I was expecting - massive crowds exiting park (if driving - expect hour+ to exit parking lot)

I believe Park hours are reduced in early January - given the way the 2020 calendar falls - (NY Day on Wed) - feels like an extra Christmas vacation week through Sunday Jan 5th

Enjoy your trip and planning - bring a coat! (and a 1/4 zip and a sweatshirt...)

Link to October 2018 - New Years 2019 Thread Mouseowners.com - Trip Planning Forum - "New Years Visit"

Last edited by Commish; 04-23-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

We’ve done the parks several times during Christmas week but this will be our first NYE too. VWL from 12/29-1/1. We will be locals by then but wanted to have the advantage of an on-site stay for the day. No crazy drive home!

OP your location says Florida so I’m assuming you’ll be aware of the difference in weather there. We’ve had days when we wore sweat shirts and hoodies, fall/winter coats and shorts and T-shirts. No guessing what the weather will be!

Our current plan is to do the fireworks at MK on 12/30 where we will see the “practice run” for 12/31. Then maybe we will do Epcot on 12/31 since we can make our way back to MK resorts using the monorail and boats. Not 100% sure yet.

Hoping more people chime in on the best strategy.

Now all of my kids are "Disney Adults"

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but moving very close to the Mouse!!!
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #5
Joeli
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreamingDisney View Post
We’ve done the parks several times during Christmas week but this will be our first NYE too. VWL from 12/29-1/1. We will be locals by then but wanted to have the advantage of an on-site stay for the day. No crazy drive home!

OP your location says Florida so I’m assuming you’ll be aware of the difference in weather there. We’ve had days when we wore sweat shirts and hoodies, fall/winter coats and shorts and T-shirts. No guessing what the weather will be!

Our current plan is to do the fireworks at MK on 12/30 where we will see the “practice run” for 12/31. Then maybe we will do Epcot on 12/31 since we can make our way back to MK resorts using the monorail and boats. Not 100% sure yet.

Hoping more people chime in on the best strategy.
Yep, we live in southeast Florida...we enjoy the "winter" when we go up that time of year! Never know what you get....just like two weeks ago it was over 93 at the park. This is April...LOL

We have been talking about 12/30 fireworks...and have heard that in the past they had an earlier fireworks show at 6:00pm which would work out amazing for our little ones. I guess we will monitor and see what comes up and try and book something to get good viewing for it. Someone told me that Epcot and HS are really fun on 12/31....we are going to check our reservations and see if we can move some stuff around to make it work.

Edited: Well that was a bust....all booked! lol I guess we will see what happens with the 7 month window!

Upcoming:
Feb 2020 - BWV
Dec/Jan 2020 - SSR (waitlisted for PVB)/BWV (Split for NYE)
Dec 2019 - RCCL Allure of the Seas
Nov 2019 - BWV
Oct 2019 - BWV
Sept 2019 - BLT
Aug 2019 - Hilton Bonnett creek

Done:
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Last edited by Joeli; 04-23-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
Kinneri
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Warning!!!

Warning!!! Severe and extreme crowds at Magic Kingdom and Epcot for the fireworks. Never again! We went this past year and we were all standing shoulder to shoulder inside epcot around the lake viewing the nighttime fireworks. No room to move. Night before on dec 30, we watched th Magic Kingdom fireworks and it was so packed that there was no standing room to view the NY fireworks so we had to watch them while moving or walking because they dont let you stop.
Kinneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #7
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Ok....We have been to WDW for NYE almost every year since 2005. We will be at BLT this year 26-31, and AKV 1-5. I am hoping to change my reservation to Riviera at the 7 month mark. Our grandsons have spent most NYE with us since the year they were born.

Simple rules to enjoy the week:
  • Morning EMH is recommended.
  • Do not drive, use Disney transportation
  • Try to avoid the parks between 12-4pm
  • Make ADRs, there are no walk-ups....not even Morocco.
  • See the Holiday Displays.
  • Make family time.
  • If its warm, use the pools.
  • See the NYE firework shows.....they are incredible!
  • Relax and realize this trip will not be like any other trip during the year.
On Dec 30th and 31st, MK will do two firework shows each night. I recommend going to MK on the 30th. Then for NYE, go to either Epcot or DHS to ring in the new year. DHS use to be my go to but with Osborne gone and all the construction, DHS has not been that great. I am not sure how it will be this year with SWGE being complete.

Typically, on Dec 30th is the MO meet-up. The past few years it has been at Jelly Rolls......highly recommend to go. This past year, weather was fantastic and the kids got to swim several times during the trip.

Ask me any question about that week, I will have the answer for you.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #8
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commish View Post
feels like an extra Christmas vacation week through Sunday Jan 5th

I will be taking advantage of the "extra" week for my Disney trip!
Old 04-23-2019, 01:25 PM   #9
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinneri View Post
We went this past year

But you didn't make the MO meet up at Jellyrolls!
Old 04-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
We have been talking about 12/30 fireworks...and have heard that in the past they had an earlier fireworks show at 6:00pm which would work out amazing for our little ones. I guess we will monitor and see what comes up and try and book something to get good viewing for it. Someone told me that Epcot and HS are really fun on 12/31....we are going to check our reservations and see if we can move some stuff around to make it work.

This past year, we watched the 6pm fireworks show for 30th and had Crystal Palace scheduled for dinner immediately following the fireworks. It ended up being a perfect scenario of park early, watch firework, right to dinner, a little extra time in the park and left by 9:30pm so the little guys could get to bed.