home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #61
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
I think how someone spends money is a very personal decision. What may be right for one person may be wrong for another. As Iíve told a few already, I wish I wouldíve kept my decision to buy Riviera to myself. The amount of negative things people have said is unbelievable to me. There have been far more negative comments than positive ones. I do accept that I invited the criticism whether directly or indirectly by posting on a message board that I bought Riviera. I wonít make the mistake of sharing any more decisions on what we buy or more likely sell on message boards anymore. If you think itís a resort that you and your family would enjoy, then you shouldnít feel bad about buying there. Itís your money and your decision. There are pros and cons to every decision. After youíve given it some thought, just make the decision that feels right for you.
I cannot imagine anyone feeling a need or the right to criticize you for your purchase. I do remember all the negativity when we bought BLT, but now lots of people would love to own there. Shake it off girl and don't give those folks a second thought. It is none of their business. I know lots of people hold out for the deal. I buy where I want to stay, deal or no deal. I am sure I have overpaid for some small resale contracts, but I did everything with my heart and not a spreadsheet, calculator or an analysis.

If I can talk DH into it when we see the models, we will be Riviera neighbors soon, and I will take some of that criticism too.

RweTHEREyet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #62
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I think how someone spends money is a very personal decision. What may be right for one person may be wrong for another. As I’ve told a few already, I wish I would’ve kept my decision to buy Riviera to myself. The amount of negative things people have said is unbelievable to me. There have been far more negative comments than positive ones.
That is true for just about anything you care to name. Please don't take it personally, but do feel free to be irritated at those who took that road.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #63
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
I cannot imagine anyone feeling a need or the right to criticize you for your purchase. I do remember all the negativity when we bought BLT, but now lots of people would love to own there. Shake it off girl and don't give those folks a second thought. It is none of their business. I know lots of people hold out for the deal. I buy where I want to stay, deal or no deal. I am sure I have overpaid for some small resale contracts, but I did everything with my heart and not a spreadsheet, calculator or an analysis.

If I can talk DH into it when we see the models, we will be Riviera neighbors soon, and I will take some of that criticism too.
Thanks! I hope to see you there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
That is true for just about anything you care to name. Please don't take it personally, but do feel free to be irritated at those who took that road.
I love the pros and cons discussion because it helped us make a more informed decision. There are a lot of you who have been here way longer than us, and I appreciate your insight. I donít mean to sound like a ďdelicate snowflakeĒ, but some of the cons talks morphed and became downright rude. Oh well. It is a public forum, so people are entitled to their opinions.

Iíve been told this is par for the course by many of you whenever a new resort goes on sale, so Iíll just need to ignore it if itís bothering me.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #64
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeokw56 View Post
Sorry to hear this. I don't understand why anyone would criticize or demean another person's choices. Some people like Ford, some people like Chevy. It's a personal choice and isn't anybody else's business. Just ignore the noise and I hope you enjoy all your years at Riviera.
Meh. DVC boards are famous for telling people how to spend, and how not to spend, their money. Invariably, somebody will be called stupid or foolish along the way if they pay a certain price or finance the purchase or don't worry about resale value. It happens less here than other boards, fortunately.

My position on DVC and my money. It's my money and my decision. I'll ask for input, consider what I learn, and then make the decision based on my own values. Life is about so much more than maximizing the dollar.

Best advice I ever got when struggling between two purchases last fall was to follow my heart. Well, since Jim made the decision, I followed his heart, but as I'm his husband, I kind of followed mine as well.

I just then reminded him that our purchase pushed his retirement off by ten years!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #65
babysimba
Two Bedroom

Quote:
I think how someone spends money is a very personal decision. What may be right for one person may be wrong for another. As Iíve told a few already, I wish I wouldíve kept my decision to buy Riviera to myself. The amount of negative things people have said is unbelievable to me. There have been far more negative comments than positive ones. I do accept that I invited the criticism whether directly or indirectly by posting on a message board that I bought Riviera. I wonít make the mistake of sharing any more decisions on what we buy or more likely sell on message boards anymore. If you think itís a resort that you and your family would enjoy, then you shouldnít feel bad about buying there. Itís your money and your decision. There are pros and cons to every decision. After youíve given it some thought, just make the decision that feels right for you.

Personally, I loved following along on this DVC journey with you. I was so excited for you and your family. From previous posts, I could feel your excitement about RR and was happy you pulled the trigger and did what felt right to you. RR is a beautiful resort with many positive things going for it. You are going to make wonderful memories!

This reminds me when we bought our BRV contract 4 years ago. I didn't tell extended family for a couple years because I knew I was going to get *s@@t* for buying a timeshare and one at Disney, nonetheless. I didn't want a buzzkill to dull our excitement.

Can't wait to read about your first visit at your new resort!
babysimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #66
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysimba View Post
Personally, I loved following along on this DVC journey with you. I was so excited for you and your family. From previous posts, I could feel your excitement about RR and was happy you pulled the trigger and did what felt right to you. RR is a beautiful resort with many positive things going for it. You are going to make wonderful memories!

This reminds me when we bought our BRV contract 4 years ago. I didn't tell extended family for a couple years because I knew I was going to get *s@@t* for buying a timeshare and one at Disney, nonetheless. I didn't want a buzzkill to dull our excitement.

Can't wait to read about your first visit at your new resort!
Thank you! Unfortunately, it wonít be for a while for the first RR stay. We already have our 2020 trip book at BLT, and Iíll need the extra bathroom since my MIL will be coming along. I doubt Iíll switch that stay, but you never know.

One of my sisters had a lot of opinions when my parents bought their timeshare, and we bought DVC. Within 2 years of all the judgmental comments to my parents and to me, she and her DH bought the same timeshare as my parents.

Has anyone heard any of the June prices from their guides? I havenít talked to mine since last week, and I forgot to ask. She knows I wonít be buying any more direct points for a while if ever. She also knows Iíd just be calling her to get info for the message boards.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #67
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Has anyone heard any of the June prices from their guides? I havenít talked to mine since last week, and I forgot to ask. She knows I wonít be buying any more direct points for a while if ever. She also knows Iíd just be calling her to get info for the message boards.
I don't think they are allowed to tell you the exact numbers until they are announced, which is probably why the only thing people are hearing about is the projected CCV amount we got via email.

I'll ask my guide next time I speak to him, but it may not be until the end of the month when we're down there and doing a walkthrough. Even if I find the money I'm not sure I can get sign off on this purchase without checking out the room layout/decorations.
pdude81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #68
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:
Eh, I think it's fair to have a negative opinion about buying. There have been lots of criticisms of DVCs policies recently and I think some of that bleeds over into Riviera - particularly as it pertains to resale. If one thinks that the points and MFs are too expensive or the charts compare unfavorably to other resorts, then a negative opinion makes sense.

I saw that one thing posted (and then deleted), but I don't think most of the opinions are personal. I was kind of surprised you decided to pull the trigger, but then I remembered this is MouseOwners where more points and more resorts is pretty much the name of the name of the game.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #69
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
I don't think they are allowed to tell you the exact numbers until they are announced, which is probably why the only thing people are hearing about is the projected CCV amount we got via email.

I'll ask my guide next time I speak to him, but it may not be until the end of the month when we're down there and doing a walkthrough. Even if I find the money I'm not sure I can get sign off on this purchase without checking out the room layout/decorations.
Maybe a few of us should ask the guides at the end of May. I know they were given the ďgo aheadĒ with divulging the info before the last price increase but wouldnít send it in writing to anyone.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #70
Micah008
Grand Villa

Quote:
Has anyone heard any of the June prices from their guides? I haven’t talked to mine since last week, and I forgot to ask. She knows I won’t be buying any more direct points for a while if ever. She also knows I’d just be calling her to get info for the message boards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
Quote:
Maybe a few of us should ask the guides at the end of May. I know they were given the “go ahead” with divulging the info before the last price increase but wouldn’t send it in writing to anyone.
The only June price I have seen was the CCV price of $210 which they emailed out to everyone. But even that was worded as "on June 1 2019, or before" so hard to say for sure if the others will be at the same time... or if they could end up with the "before" too.

Yeah, they were giving out the new prices over the phone multiple weeks before the last increase... so at some point they will do the same here. They end up using it as a sales tactic since they can give a concrete date where your price will go up... and you better "buy now!".

I asked, but my guide just gave me the dates for the incentives and reminded me that if I bought now I could book on 4/10 before the rooms start filling up.

MousePerks
MOD 137 - Owner at Animal Kingdom Villas, Riviera Resort, and Saratoga Springs Resort

Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV (Report); Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV; Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR
Micah008 is offline   Reply With Quote