home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #121
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Most hotels and every car rental company I've dealt with do this. Yeah, it's pretty standard.

And I'm not talking about the incremental hold, but the initial hold. Although we recently stayed with HGVC in Hawai'i. They did an initial $250 on my card. Well, the Mai Tais were good, so we exceeded the $250. There was an additional $50 hold. In the end, the $292 came out just fine. So, this is not at all out of the ordinary.

Cheers.

This isn't a one-time hold situation or a slight increase after a couple of days. This the equivalent of going to NYC (with NYC prices, BTW) and being able to charge everything in the entire city to your hotel room. That's tons of money.

All your credit card company sees is one company - the resort you're staying at - constantly running new holds throughout the day, running charges every few days, and then placing new holds, which are consistently upped. At a certain point, their computers go "this is whack" and shut it down.

Then you get a call from Disney at 6:30 in the morning (not the sudden flash of the msg light, but an actual phone call with a ring and everything) telling you to pay up because your card is declined.

Then you check your folio and find out your charges weren't declined but paid in full. You confirm that with your credit card company. You then call Disney back and ask, "WTF?" Disney says, "Oh, we don't know. Let me put you on hold and figure this out." Fifteen minutes later - "Oh, your hold was declined."

Call credit card company. Nope. Nothing declined. "Disney doesn't know what they are talking about." (That's a literal quote from the person I spoke with.)

Call Disney back. Sorry, nothing we can do. You must stop by front desk before leaving.

Go to front desk, "It's not your fault. It's not you card's fault. This happens all the time. We'll just reattach your card. I do this many times a day."

Nope. Not unusual at Disney. Not usual anywhere else. Not OK.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #122
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Sorry was on cell phone or tablet as I don't take laptops with me on vacations anymore. I meant to correct that, but missed it.

Huh, I've seen it before. Now if there is no charging to my room, I don't usually see it unless staying on points. Not all hotels/resorts allow charging to rooms, but it doesn't feel out of line for me.

Sorry it was so bad for you. Both times we had the $100 hold and then poof, gone. No other charges to our room though. We don't use the magic bands that way since we have g/c or rewards cards to use.

Again we had no issues the times we've been there under the new policy. Just saw the hold and that was that.
If we didn't charge anything to the room, it wouldn't be a problem either. That's why the system is ******. You're supposed to be able to charge to your room. Then it creates chaos when you do.

Once we had our issue - we went over the new $100 hold once, and just paid everything else with cash. Our final checkout was $156 for the last five days. We normally charge about $125 a day (meals, souvenirs, whatever).

Dirk

Old 06-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #123
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
If we didn't charge anything to the room, it wouldn't be a problem either. That's why the system is ******. You're supposed to be able to charge to your room. Then it creates chaos when you do.

Once we had our issue - we went over the new $100 hold once, and just paid everything else with cash. Our final checkout was $156 for the last five days. We normally charge about $125 a day (meals, souvenirs, whatever).

Dirk
Personally the shit part of the system is not being able to use gift cards and rewards type cards more freely. Granted we usually only charge about $30-40 a day for us, so it's not a big to do for us. Only once in a while do we buy more (a shirt here or there). Since we need ID all the time for discounts, one of us has a wallet or the like anyway so magic band charging is kind of pointless to me. In fact sometimes I don't even allow it - though as my kid gets older I likely will.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #124
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default Conversation with DVC Rep

So, I sent an email to DVC Guest Relations a couple of days ago thanking them for a genuinely great trip but sharing a concern with the hold policy, how it didn't work for us, and my hope that they could work it out so it doesn't happen in the future.

Got a call back. Person was very nice, but boy was she amped up on pixie dust! It was like she was thrilled I had this problem so they could have "opportunities" to help guests have a better experience.

Long story short - she admitted they were trying to be as transparent as possible "and that they had discovered lots of opportunities" for improving the system. She said they were working on getting the various credit card processors to understand Disney's new system so it won't trip them up, and that we shouldn't have this problem when we come back in August.

She also said that if it does happen again, I should call her back and let her know. Tinker Bell spilled her PD inventory all over her, but she did listen, did understand, and did share what they were doing and expected to happen.

So, as always, I do appreciate the seriousness and personal attention Disney gives guest feedback, and I will wait with somewhat jaded but also hopeful expectation that August will go better.

I don't have a problem with the policy - if it works. So, let's get this thing working!

Dirk

Old 06-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #125
Adelard of Bath
Two Bedroom

Quote:
She said they were working on getting the various credit card processors to understand Disney's new system so it won't trip them up, and that we shouldn't have this problem when we come back in August.
Thanks, Dirk, for talking with them and bringing it up.

My thought - their solution to the problem is to call every single credit card company and say, "Hey, our system is messed up, don't worry about it"?
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #126
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
Thanks, Dirk, for talking with them and bringing it up.

My thought - their solution to the problem is to call every single credit card company and say, "Hey, our system is messed up, don't worry about it"?
Well, I'm sure it's a variation on that theme.

To be serious, more along the lines of "Heads up - if you see a resort run constant hold increases, it's legit. Here's our policy."

Disney is certainly big enough that credit card companies need to pay them direct attention, and I'm sure the companies can tweak their algorithms accordingly.

The Guest Relations person did say "We've done it one way for 48 years, now we're two months into a new way. It takes time to get everybody on board."

I think the problem with our card was the running of the five days worth of charges followed by an immediate new hold. I'm sure Chase thought, "Hey, they just closed out their folio - what's this new hold? No reason for it. Decline." Chase had no way of knowing we had five more days and interpreted the hold as accidental. Even though Chase denies they declined anything, I bet their system doesn't track declined holds - just declined charges.

It doesn't help that many CC companies don't want you notifying them of your travels anymore since their AI can figure that out on their own. We'll almost have to say "Any transaction from WDW during these dates is good." Don't know if they'll track that.

Anyway - I'm going to trust Disney to work it out, and go back to our routine charging in August to see how it works. We also will be there five nights, so there may not even be a trigger.

Chase seemed to have no trouble with the incremental holds until the first 5 days of charges went through.

Dirk

Old 06-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #127
Adelard of Bath
Two Bedroom

Quote:
The Guest Relations person did say "We've done it one way for 48 years, now we're two months into a new way. It takes time to get everybody on board."
This makes me think...(ouchy)

This is not the first time we as humans look at a change that some group has made and say, "Gosh they got it all wrong." But I like to challenge myself to stand back and realize that they probably have a pretty big team of experts who know alot of stuff about the problem at hand (in this case, the CC system) and they probably know WHY they did it, and they probably have a pretty good idea of what they are doing...

It's hard, though. Sometimes they get it wrong...boy, I bet they wish they still had the Adventurer's Club, that place would be going gangbusters over there in the new Springs.
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #128
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
This makes me think...(ouchy)

This is not the first time we as humans look at a change that some group has made and say, "Gosh they got it all wrong." But I like to challenge myself to stand back and realize that they probably have a pretty big team of experts who know alot of stuff about the problem at hand (in this case, the CC system) and they probably know WHY they did it, and they probably have a pretty good idea of what they are doing...
With Disney, I think that's generally the case, but I also think they make some rookie mistakes on implementation in terms of seeing things from the guest's point of view.

I have no doubt that loss prevention needed this new policy. But c'mon - work out some of the kinks, or at least prep your partners that you're making the change!

Or, maybe they just decide that the best thing to do is roll out the policy and be prepared to adjust based on guest feedback since they can't anticipate every problem.

Quote:
It's hard, though. Sometimes they get it wrong...boy, I bet they wish they still had the Adventurer's Club, that place would be going gangbusters over there in the new Springs.
Honestly, from what I understand, part of the reason for the closure (apart from making way for the makeover) was that the place didn't have room for the crowds they were drawing, or expected to draw.

They could have done a total re-design, though, and made it a part of the makeover. I'm still surprised they don't have a comedy club as that seems like a no brainer. There is some entertainment, but not much, at DS. More is needed, I think - something in between giant cirque and little street musicians.

The Edison has some that's pretty cool, but it's also later at night. Something starting at 8 would be great.

Dirk

Old 06-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #129
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Nope. Not unusual at Disney. Not usual anywhere else. Not OK.

Dirk
Guess I must be missing the distinction. Put a hold. Charge against the hold. Exceed the hold and put another hold. Seen it before a bunch of times.

We'll chalk it up to me missing something here and leave it that.

Cheers.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #130
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Most hotels and every car rental company I've dealt with do this. Yeah, it's pretty standard.

And I'm not talking about the incremental hold, but the initial hold. Although we recently stayed with HGVC in Hawai'i. They did an initial $250 on my card. Well, the Mai Tais were good, so we exceeded the $250. There was an additional $50 hold. In the end, the $292 came out just fine. So, this is not at all out of the ordinary.

Cheers.
What car rentals are you doing? Alamo, Budget, Hertz, Avis, National, Dollar- I never have a hold. They charge me when I return the car. More often than not I am booking thru Costco but not always. Kind of nice they trust me so much I guess.

I honestly do not see it with hotels either.