home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #21
Princess Mom
Studio

"Afford" is the key word here. If you look at the staggering debt statistics in America, it would seem few middle income people can actually afford a vacation, especially an expensive one to Disney. Articles like this don't answer the question since we have no way of knowing how many people are paying for vacations on credit cards or even saving for them when that money probably should have been put towards paying down debt. For Disney, as long as people still come, it's affordable and prices will continue to rise.
Princess Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:03 PM   #22
Angel1123
One Bedroom

I recently read a crazy statistic that 58% of American households have less than $1000 in savings. Median household savings is $4,500. Families prioritize paying for their cell phones over their cars and their cars over their mortgages. Not sure how true these stats are but I find it surprising that vacation destinations such as Disney are bursting at the seams! Based on this, I would say most of the middle class ďcant affordĒ a vacation like Disney but prioritize it over other things and go. I know of two families that took a weeklong vacation at the Grand Floridian with deluxe dining plan and lots of extras right before filing for bankruptcy.
Angel1123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:03 PM   #23
dandandat
Studio

You would have to define what "Middle Class" is before you can answer a question like this. It is a nebulous word where even affluant people will tell you they are middle class; or people who belong to the working pore will tell you that are the middle class. So who is it that we are talking about?

You would also have to define what a trip to Disney would initial. Is it a stay at a no-tell-motel and one day at a park? Or is it 7 nights at a top tear resort and season pass?

I work in a STEM industrie, have a masters degree, and live and work in one of the most expensive and higher wage areas of the country. I consider myself "middle class" ... especially when it comes time to pay the bills. But I do have to acknowledge that life is easier for my family as compared to many of my other middle class mates. We are not on equal footing even if some focus group categorizes that we are.

For my Disney is an "affordable" yearly vacation but even I balked at the price tag ever time it comes up. You can go a lot farther with your money else where.

But at the same time a family friend, single mother who lives in an amptment half the size of my basement, just got back from a trip to Disney. She found a way to afford it.

Our Disney vacations are not the same; but when we tell stories about then they don't sound all that different.
dandandat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:24 PM   #24
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

I did not read the article, but the middle class is shrinking. I still don't buy the economy is wonderful, but rather all those that were on unemployment who did not find jobs are no longer eligible for benefits and hence no longer count towards the government stats. But people will continue to go to disney. My co-workers friend lost his job, but he still drives to disney every year with his wife and son - they stay in the value resorts or off site, and buy the base tickets, I am not sure how the new ticket prices will affect them. One of my friends who can more than afford disney and or buying into DVC complains it is too expensive, her kids want to go this summer, and she was thinking of going with her husband, but decided it was too expensive, while my other friend who struggles and is a single mom - loves going and spends her money there (when she comes with me, I give her my points, otherwise she would spend money she doesn't really have for a room). So I don't know if its more so a perception perhaps that those that can't afford it go, and those that can don't or at least that is what I have observed, with the exception of those of us who are disney obsessed and keep purchasing DVC
Old 02-11-2019, 01:44 AM   #25
brp
Add-on Aficionado

As others have said, they can if they want to, and it is a priority.

Cheers.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:05 AM   #26
BobParr
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycpa91 View Post
Life is always about choices.
What are you willing to do without. We buy a lot of wine. And we like to eat out. That is our choice. Could we do other things. YEs. But we also drive paid for vehicles..
All about choices.

I drive a 2002 Silverado that I bought new and paid off in 4 years. 311,000 miles and still my daily driver. I do all the maintenance myself.

I (obviously) donít care about driving a nice, new car. Never have. Going on vacation, however, is something I get excited about. So thatís where I choose to put some of my money. If collecting stamps made me happy, Iíd give up something else to make it happen. But I enjoy Disney, USF and occasionally LegoLand with our young son.

Growing up, we rarely vacationed, and when we did, it was within a few hours drive. I had never been to Florida until I went to college, and I didnít get to go to WDW until I was 44 years old. My son, OTOH, takes it for granted. Iím OK with that.
BobParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #27
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

My father was disabled growing up and mom only had a part time job at Sears. We simply could not vacation. I had 2 trips growing up. One was a 2 day stay at a motel in Somerset KY at age 5 (yep, I remember). The other was a trip to FL to stay with my sister in Cocoa Beach for 2 weeks...and yes, it was my first trip to Disney.

Vacations make memories. I have always rememberd that and that is where we "waste" our money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobParr View Post

I drive a 2002 Silverado that I bought new and paid off in 4 years. 311,000 miles and still my daily driver. I do all the maintenance myself.

I (obviously) donít care about driving a nice, new car. Never have. Going on vacation, however, is something I get excited about. So thatís where I choose to put some of my money. If collecting stamps made me happy, Iíd give up something else to make it happen. But I enjoy Disney, USF and occasionally LegoLand with our young son.

Growing up, we rarely vacationed, and when we did, it was within a few hours drive. I had never been to Florida until I went to college, and I didnít get to go to WDW until I was 44 years old. My son, OTOH, takes it for granted. Iím OK with that.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #28
jnoel
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post

Observations? The parks are filled with middle class. Not top 1% or even top 10%er's although there would be some of those there too of course.
The top 10% of income earners in the US make $118,000 a year or more. I believe there are a significant amount of 10%íers and 5%íers that visit WDW.
jnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #29
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoel View Post
The top 10% of income earners in the US make $118,000 a year or more. I believe there are a significant amount of 10%’ers and 5%’ers that visit WDW.
I read that $118,000 was an average for the 90-95%. It's actually slightly slower than that for 10%

1%: $250,000
5%: $130,000
10%: $90,000
20%: $60,000
30%: $45,000
40%: $35,000
50%: $30,000
60%: $20,000 – $24,999
70%: $15,000
80%: $5,000 — $9,999
90%: $0.01 — $4,999

https://wallethacks.com/average-medi...me-in-america/

Last edited by helenabear; 02-11-2019 at 09:03 AM.
helenabear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:31 AM   #30
jnoel
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I read that $118,000 was an average for the 90-95%. It's actually slightly slower than that for 10%

1%: $250,000
5%: $130,000
10%: $90,000
20%: $60,000
30%: $45,000
40%: $35,000
50%: $30,000
60%: $20,000 Ė $24,999
70%: $15,000
80%: $5,000 ó $9,999
90%: $0.01 ó $4,999

https://wallethacks.com/average-medi...me-in-america/

Hmmm we have conflicting data it appears.

https://www.investopedia.com/persona...ou-top-1-5-10/

I wonder why itís so different.
jnoel is offline   Reply With Quote