home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tips and Tricks for First-Timers and Fanatics
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #11
pdude81
Grand Villa

Love split stays but $5 per bag sounds crazy to me. Perhaps a poll is in order to see what people really do around here. I don't want to shortchange anybody but not sure I can pay 30 bucks for that each time the bags are shuffled
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #12
kreilly
Studio

I tried searching for a bit more info on booking split stays. I was just curious about the booking part. I was trying to figure out if I have to book the first resort at the 7 month mark, then wait another 3-4 days to book the second resort at the 7 month mark? That's online of course, or can MS do everything all at once at the initial 7 month mark?
any tips or a good thread someone can point me to.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #13
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreilly View Post
I tried searching for a bit more info on booking split stays. I was just curious about the booking part. I was trying to figure out if I have to book the first resort at the 7 month mark, then wait another 3-4 days to book the second resort at the 7 month mark? That's online of course, or can MS do everything all at once at the initial 7 month mark?
any tips or a good thread someone can point me to.
Nah, there's no way to do that. Otherwise you would have walkers jumping over each other with split stays to reserver rooms. Typically I lock in the whole stay at my home resort and then see what's available in the 7 month window to switch.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #14
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
Love split stays but $5 per bag sounds crazy to me. Perhaps a poll is in order to see what people really do around here. I don't want to shortchange anybody but not sure I can pay 30 bucks for that each time the bags are shuffled
We like split stays at 3 to 4 night runs so we have a new room and fresh room with different (2 in 1 ) vacations; we only do one transfer on a 8 day visit. Maybe I am cheap, but we tend to do $3/bag or max @ $20 per transfer for bell services tip.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #15
kreilly
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
Nah, there's no way to do that. Otherwise you would have walkers jumping over each other with split stays to reserver rooms. Typically I lock in the whole stay at my home resort and then see what's available in the 7 month window to switch.
Makes total sense.
Was gonna try 2 resorts (non home).
Old 01-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #16
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymomof2 View Post
We have done numerous split stays as a family of 4, but we live out of the suitcase. We donít mind them, but prefer only one move during our trips (but we usually stay 5-6 nights). Bell services does make it easy, but you do need to stay busy the afternoon of the move.

Boundinís suggestion is a good one...try to get to your new resort to check-in and let them know you are awaiting your room. If you take your luggage with you and leave it at the new resortís bell services, then you wonít have to wait for luggage to be delivered from the other resort.....sometimes that transfer can take a while.
That works if you have a car and can leave it in the vehicle but we fly and use WDW transportation so a backpack is the most I can travel with to new resort. We will typically pack up and ship then hit the parks in-between with a swim suit and plastic bag for early dip (good time to try
pool hopping) while we are "homeless".
Old 01-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #17
OffToTheMouse
One Bedroom

We always do a split stay. Part at home resort and part at another. Working to get them all in. just about there.

We always have a rental car so moving stuff is easy and on our terms. We just use bell services to take food which we pack nice and easy for them to take.

The only down side is that you need to pack up and unpack. But the benefits outweigh.
  • New scene - Just a new experience. sometimes the first stay just gets repetitive.
  • New pool - Kids love a new pool after the fist was done so many times. There is a huge swing in excitement from day 1 to day 7 at the same pool. (We pool every day) Toss in a new slide or pool type and it starts all over for them.
  • New View - Just a change is good here.
  • New people - Sometimes you just see the same people over and over and over. And they see you.
  • New approach - just change the routine a bit is fun.
  • New food options - Resort changes often offer new options. Spending 7-10 days in one place you find your self eating a lot of the same.
  • New Night life - Each resort offers something different. Take more in with less repeats.
  • New park commutes- We sometimes plan our park visits around the ease of getting to them.

Our split day is usually an all AM to 4:00 park day or water park day. So no need to have room.

We certainly have a system for this.

But I can only tolerate one Split. Not a multi split.
OffToTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #18
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
That works if you have a car and can leave it in the vehicle but we fly and use WDW transportation so a backpack is the most I can travel with to new resort. We will typically pack up and ship then hit the parks in-between with a swim suit and plastic bag for early dip (good time to try
pool hopping) while we are "homeless".
You can UBER and leave your bags with bell services at the new resort- then go play while you wait for your room.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
3 Nights Only* Thinly Veiled Excuse* Surf and Turf* Once Upon a Fantasy* NYE 17-18* The Fall of Disney 17* Tale of Two Views 17* Back in the S.S.R. 17* Uni Hard Rock-MNSSHP-HHN 16* Spring Surprise 16* NYE in the World 15-16

Coming up...
7/2019 BWV Merica's Birthday *9/2019 BCV Beer & Wine Festival *10/2019 POP!*12/2019 VGC* 3/2020 RCCL So Carib AoS *4/2020 Spring Break BWV*11/2020 Fantasy Xmas 2xCC

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #19
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
You can UBER and leave your bags with bell services at the new resort- then go play while you wait for your room.
Might be cheaper, too.
I guess I need to get the UBER app (as we push into our 60's technology sees more complicating - add in that Hubby is in an ECV and the UBER gets more limiting, pricey, or we travel separately to resort.
Any suggestions for ECV transfer MO's?
Old 01-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #20
fabricmage
Studio

Default How to do a Split Stay

I've done split stays, especially when I want to add on a day or two at the end of a planned vacation when the airfare is cheaper to stay an extra day or two.

Easiest way I've found is:
1) In the morning, take your bags to the bell services and ask them to move the bags to your new resort.
2) Go to a park for the rest of the day.
3) Around 4 pm or later or after the room ready text, take the bus back to your new resort.
4) Go to your new room and call for your bags (I just do $5 for 3 bags).

(If you don't get the room ready text, one member of your party needs to go to the front desk and get the room assignment)

It works best if you can plan to not be in a room for at least 5 hours (11 am checkout time to 4 pm check in time). Best to make FP+ and ADRs during that time.
fabricmage is offline   Reply With Quote