home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-29-2015, 01:34 AM   #11
Tammy
Grand Villa

This is really interesting. I am surprised that it is double the time to take your own car to MK. Makes sense though with the transfer. We use to rely on the bus system but started renting a car several years ago. It's nice to not have to wait on a bus. Looking at this chart though it makes me wonder if I should re think that! Thanks for the work you put into this!
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:46 AM   #12
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
Thanks Mike!

A couple of things, the time from OKW to EPCOT seems high to me. I've only stayed at OKW twice (both time HH area), but I thought I remembered OKW to EPCOT being very quick. Maybe an OKW regular can comment ?
It can be very quick. I once timed myself driving to Epcot from OKW Miller's Lane. Believe it or not, starting the clock when leaving my 3rd floor studio, I was *inside* Epcot in 10 minutes! That required a green light at Bonnet Creek, a relatively close parking spot, and fast walking, but it does show how quick the trip can be.

On the other hand I once made a midday trip back to Epcot by bus, and waiting for the return bus from HH, I waited about 1/2 hour while 8 buses to other destinations went through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
This is really interesting. I am surprised that it is double the time to take your own car to MK. Makes sense though with the transfer. We use to rely on the bus system but started renting a car several years ago. It's nice to not have to wait on a bus. Looking at this chart though it makes me wonder if I should re think that! Thanks for the work you put into this!
Definitely a case of YMMV. On our first trip to BCV, we left our room at 7:10 to catch a bus for MK EMH. The bus made a stop at Boardwalk to pick up more passengers. It was very crowded and a miserable experience that soured us on buses for years. The next year we left our room again at 7:10 and drove to MK, arriving at the MK turnstiles the same time as when we took the bus.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)

Last edited by erikthewise; 03-29-2015 at 08:01 AM.
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #13
ghafler
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
This has been an ongoing debate between my wife and I. We both agree that resort to resort if fastest by car. And if you can find a place to park, it's faster to DTD. It seemed to be pretty even between car and bus to parks till one night we left MK headed to AKV right after the fireworks and had to wait for the boat and then the tram. It took an hour and 15 min to get home. It's been hard for me to convince my wife it's faster by car since then.

22 Disney stays and counting at the Contemporary, Grand Floridian (Honeymoon), Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin, Animal Kingdom Lodge (1st Trip with kids), Saratoga Springs, Kidani Village and the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian. 4 Disney cruises on the Dream and Fantasy. My 1st Walt Disney World Visit was in June '72 and the Most Crowded visit was on July 4th 1976.
ghafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #14
Tammy
Grand Villa

YMMV??? Ok I can't figure that one out
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #15
Syndrome
Grand Villa

Generally we have found that Buses are almost always faster to MK.
By the time you park your car, take a shuttle then wait in line and get onto the ferry or monorail it seems to take so much longer by car. Since the bus stops are within close walking distance to MK . Its been a VERY rare occasion that we have been faster to MK by using our car (and we always have a AAA Diamond parking pass, that lets us park close to the TTC and bypass the shuttle) .

Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #16
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Generally we have found that Buses are almost always faster to MK.
By the time you park your car, take a shuttle then wait in line and get onto the ferry or monorail it seems to take so much longer by car. Since the bus stops are within close walking distance to MK . Its been a VERY rare occasion that we have been faster to MK by using our car (and we always have a AAA Diamond parking pass, that lets us park close to the TTC and bypass the shuttle) .
True in general.
But if you get there early for rope drop, you park in the first couple or three rows, and it is a very short walk to TTC. You will do roughly as well on average as a bus from most resorts, with wait for monorail generally less than wait for bus. If it does take a smidgeon longer on average that is worth it to eliminate the possibility of a long bus wait and/or multiple bus stops.

YMMV = "Your Mileage (or whatever) May Vary"

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #17
Syndrome
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
True in general.
But if you get there early for rope drop, you park in the first couple or three rows, and it is a very short walk to TTC. You will do roughly as well on average as a bus from most resorts, with wait for monorail generally less than wait for bus. If it does take a smidgeon longer on average that is worth it to eliminate the possibility of a long bus wait and/or multiple bus stops.

YMMV = "Your Mileage (or whatever) May Vary"
Thats probably a good idea, as long as you get to the TTC pretty early and the ferry or Monorails are not too crowded yet, it can be a great way to get to MK easily and quickly .

We have usually experienced faster times at all times of the day with the buses to MK. Even factoring in the best parking spots due to the Monorail and Ferry congestion . .
We are able to park in the AAA diamond parking at all hours of the day ,which is right next to the handicapped parking in the TTC parking lot, so we always walk to the TTC (no shuttle) . Even at that, the ferry or monorail seems to take a long time lately .
Now , if you are not a frequent visitor (or a new WDW visitor) and want to experience the all best and memorable stuff at MK, its always best to have a trip on the Monorail to the MK monorail station .............nothing compares to arriving at the MK by monorail (at least if you are new to WDW!) !
So I guess, saving every last minute of transportation may not be worth it to everybody . When the monorail is working and not overly crowed .........there is nothing else quite like it for the WOW factor !

Last edited by Syndrome; 03-29-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #18
thatstatsguy
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Thank you!!

This is great - I've been looking all over for info like this. Thanks for researching and posting!
thatstatsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:45 PM   #19
mrsmusic
Studio

Default Parking cost?

Is there a parking cost if you are staying at a DVC unit?
mrsmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #20
jflatto
Grand Villa

Let me add that I have an iphone app called "WDW Transportation Wizard" that shows you alternative routes if using Disney transportation, driving route if you have a car and walking paths assuming you can walk. For example, Epcot to the Contemporary gives 5 alternate methods using Disney transportation. It also provided expected times.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote