home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 06-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #141
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado
 
Lamima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 6,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
I think it's entirely appropriate, in my case, to compare my WDW trip to my desired Disney cruise. My wife wants that particular cruise. No point telling her about how cheap we could do it on some other cruise line for less nights with an interior room, just as an example.

I purposely left out maintenance fees, buy-in costs, and other DVC costs because I am paying those regardless of whether I go to WDW or not. I don't see myself selling them anytime soon, so the costs are still there if I take a year off Florida and do a cruise instead.

For other people, maybe they ARE going to sell their points, no longer come to Disney, and go see other things - then they must make those comparisons for their particular circumstance.
But if you don't use your points one year, you can rent them for money...or bank them and have double the WDW vacay the next year. So you do need to estimate a cost on that. Points aren't free...heck, free dining isn't free. Nothing the mouse does is free.
__________________

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Aug 27-30 HHI / Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV&SSR / Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / June 7-10, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & Sept 4, 2021 NCL Pride of America
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #142
Adelard of Bath
Two Bedroom
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
But if you don't use your points one year, you can rent them for money...or bank them and have double the WDW vacay the next year. So you do need to estimate a cost on that.
Well that's a good point. I personally don't think I'm quite to the point of having "extra" points, though, so if I banked them it would just mean less borrowing next time.

I agree with your earlier statement about how it seems like every time we go, it is more about fighting crowds, more about fighting scooters, strollers, fastpasses, fighting for dining, long and longer lines. But I also find that the more times wife and I go, the more it becomes about chillin at the resort. It is slowly turning into that all-inclusive in Mexico...but there happens to be Disney parks and Disney dining and we venture into that stuff in manageable segments, vs dealing with it all day. And if we went to an all-inclusive, I think we'd get bored...we wouldn't be able to swing into Epcot for a few hours or whatever. Plus those all-inclusives aren't free, either

So far our Disney vacation is still working for us, vacation-wise and price-wise. But it is frustrating that prices keep going up. But, two days ago we went to the movies and it was $10.50 and I swwweeaaaaar it was $7 last time I paid attention.
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #143
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado
 
Lamima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 6,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
Well that's a good point. I personally don't think I'm quite to the point of having "extra" points, though, so if I banked them it would just mean less borrowing next time.

I agree with your earlier statement about how it seems like every time we go, it is more about fighting crowds, more about fighting scooters, strollers, fastpasses, fighting for dining, long and longer lines. But I also find that the more times wife and I go, the more it becomes about chillin at the resort. It is slowly turning into that all-inclusive in Mexico...but there happens to be Disney parks and Disney dining and we venture into that stuff in manageable segments, vs dealing with it all day. And if we went to an all-inclusive, I think we'd get bored...we wouldn't be able to swing into Epcot for a few hours or whatever. Plus those all-inclusives aren't free, either

So far our Disney vacation is still working for us, vacation-wise and price-wise. But it is frustrating that prices keep going up. But, two days ago we went to the movies and it was $10.50 and I swwweeaaaaar it was $7 last time I paid attention.
True and true.

We too look at it like a not boring all inclusive. We like to eat and drink and chill and will do 1 or 2 FP here and there, if we want. Though I do feel we're starting to overpay for that. But, yes, that is how we look at WDW trips now too as empty nesters. (though I posted in another thread that we now find we can go to less chaotic places and save a few bucks for similar type trip...we did Nashville last year and Tampa this year). Will see how our fall and Xmas WDW trips play out. Last trip, 2 days last month, was actually not too bad in the value we felt we got (March trip was a disappointment).

Yes, all things are creeping up in price. Just go to a ball game and get drinks and food .
__________________

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Aug 27-30 HHI / Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV&SSR / Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / June 7-10, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & Sept 4, 2021 NCL Pride of America
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #144
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
True and true.

We too look at it like a not boring all inclusive. We like to eat and drink and chill and will do 1 or 2 FP here and there, if we want. Though I do feel we're starting to overpay for that. But, yes, that is how we look at WDW trips now too as empty nesters. (though I posted in another thread that we now find we can go to less chaotic places and save a few bucks for similar type trip...we did Nashville last year and Tampa this year). Will see how our fall and Xmas WDW trips play out. Last trip, 2 days last month, was actually not too bad in the value we felt we got (March trip was a disappointment).

Yes, all things are creeping up in price. Just go to a ball game and get drinks and food .
I have actually had more fun lately at the "boring all inclusive" Want to take a sail boat out, just go grab one. Want to learn out to cook local food, just show up at the demo. Want to learn how to mix drinks or taste wine, just show up. Want to get in shape, there's a class every hour (the cycling in the pool is really fun, but I was a bust a yoga on paddleboards!)

If you like to eat, drink and chill seems to be the "boring all inclusive" might be a good choice. It's where I go for those vacations. Now I also have trips where I go to Europe or Yellowstone and go non-stop.

Lately all of these have priced out pretty well when compared to Disney pricing for their "eating and drinking" .


And as for the ball park, Just pick better parks. Our NFL/MLS stadium has made a major move to bring the eating and drinking prices in line with the outside world and increased the food quality. And it's making them more money than the old "too high" pricing. (Sadly Disney won't learn that lesson ) Heck you get one coke and you can refill it thorughout the entire game! $2.50 for all you can drink coke vs. Disney pricing?? (guess who wins ) Actually my other half gets "free coke" since he's our designated driver. He just signs the pledge not to drink booze and they hand him a cup!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/s...ncessions.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/.../#9ba6d3863998

Last edited by CarolA; 06-19-2019 at 05:44 PM.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:08 PM   #145
FessParker1
Grand Villa
 
FessParker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,185
Default

So any online annual passes will come with a ticket number so you can link it for fast passes? And then just activate it when you arrive?
__________________
FessParker1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:49 PM   #146
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 10,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
So any online annual passes will come with a ticket number so you can link it for fast passes? And then just activate it when you arrive?
Online often auto link. So just assign it to the right person if needed. Otherwise yes, enter the number, link to person, and activate upon arrival.
__________________
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:10 PM   #147
brp
Add-on Aficionado
 
brp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 15,737
Default

Makes doing the UT bridging thing that much more valuable

Cheers.
__________________
"...And your head is spinning from a loud guitar"
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:48 PM   #148
D C
Add-on Aficionado
 
D C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 10,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
Well that's a good point. I personally don't think I'm quite to the point of having "extra" points, though, so if I banked them it would just mean less borrowing next time.

I agree with your earlier statement about how it seems like every time we go, it is more about fighting crowds, more about fighting scooters, strollers, fastpasses, fighting for dining, long and longer lines. But I also find that the more times wife and I go, the more it becomes about chillin at the resort. It is slowly turning into that all-inclusive in Mexico...but there happens to be Disney parks and Disney dining and we venture into that stuff in manageable segments, vs dealing with it all day. And if we went to an all-inclusive, I think we'd get bored...we wouldn't be able to swing into Epcot for a few hours or whatever. Plus those all-inclusives aren't free, either
An "all inclusive" that doesn't include anything that a true all-inclusive includes is merely a hotel room, no? Granted, there are are "walking around" things at WDW without extra cost.
__________________
~Dave
D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:43 AM   #149
CTDad
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
Default

The only difference with an all inclusive and a regular hotel is that they include food and drinks. You want to make your Disney trip all inclusive just add a dinning plan. All inclusives include the cost in the room price. Disney just breaks it out so you have the option to include it if you want.

Plus all inclusives usually just have a few on site dinning options. Disney has dozens of great restaurants to choose from.
CTDad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #150
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,623
Default

Umm... an All Inclusive generally includes more than just food and drinks. (Plus it's ALL you can eat food and drinks, not "one drink" per meal like the DDP)

All inclusive resorts I stay at include: All you can eat food, all you can drink (and since I pay Disney type pricing I get the good booze ), all non-motorized water sports, fitness programs, evening shows, fully stocked fridge, unlimited room service, cooking demos, wine tastings, etc... Seriously the only two things I have ever paid for at an All Inclusive were the parasailing and the spa. (both of which were cheaper than the same products at Disney) . The resort I go to most often has a total of 5 restaurants at the resort I sleep in and and about 10 more options at the two resorts next door. (And amazingly I don't have to decide 6 months in advance where i want to eat) Plus the food there is better than at most Disney restaurants. (Granted Victoria & Alberts is better, but you aren't getting that on the regular dining plan either LOL!)

Honestly IMHO they don't have much in common. I would never go to Disney expecting an AI experience. (Or the same level of hotel service). I am just saying that it's something I consider for a stress free vacation (which I no longer find at Disney)
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:55 PM.

MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software