home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #61
It's Me
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
No. I don’t think that it was improved. Our park experience is now way worse than before.

I believe any change will be so that Disney can make more money. Since the money will be coming out of my pocket, my enthusiasm for upcharging for rides is zero.
For us, definitely not improved, and we are a party of 2 (most of the time). The planning so far out is ridiculous. I don't know what I am having for dinner tonight, but Disney wants me to pick my meals and FPs months out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post
I hate the Disney Paris idea. We would be paying around a $100 a day to get into a park and then $50 or so to ride the most popular rides . We already pay extra for evening parades at the parties .

This will Price wdw out of the range of the actual guest .

Ofcourse wdw will say you can go and not ride . Just have fun eating mediocre expensive food and buy Disney stuff you do not need. Eventually this will Hurt attendance .
Yup, all about making more money. I hate the idea of any form of a paid FP system, but as someone else said, Disney will do what they want to do. Pay to park (for some), pay to get in to the park, pay for FP, pay for special events, pay pay pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
Let's be realistic. They'll raise ticket prices AND charge for FPs.
Oh for certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
I think it would be a very interesting experiment to see what the actual wait times are if they stopped all FP's.
DH and I were recently talking about this. Just get rid of FP all together and everyone waits for whatever rides they want to wait for. Standby lines will be longer for the main rides, however, that line will move continuously, not keep getting held up to let the FP guests through.

It's Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #62
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
Terrible. And you'd have no option to skip them either. Before FP, lines were long. We would wait an hour plus for Space Mountain... and all you could do was watch the comets flash by and wait. I haven't been on Space mountain with a line that went back to the games section in the last 15 years. Basically since the invention of FastPass we haven't waited for Space Mountain once. Similar concepts apply to the other rides. Today in a few hours with FP+ we can ride the headliners, maybe 6 or 8 attractions, have lunch, see a show, and be swimming by midday. That would be an all day event without FP. On a week-stay, I'm guaranteed 21 FastPasses with close-to-0 wait, and likely more. That's insane to think that in today's world we can ride like 30 things on a Disney vacation without waiting for one of them!
The point is that the system that allows you to get FP's like that is almost certainly going away. DL did not have FP's for several attractions that were quite popular and the wait lines were not that crazy. Add FP's?? Guess what.

I still think it would be very interesting to see what would occur. Frankly, long lines mean not enough top attractions IMO. I don't agree that rides should have to have FP's in order to get on them in a reasonable amount of time or that you're going to have to spend hours waiting for a ride if you don't have FP's. It's all too expensive for that bs any more.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #63
It's Me
Grand Villa

And in other price increase news, reusable shopping bags at WDW also went up. Looks like about $1 increase per bag (all sizes).

ETA: They still offer the free plastic bags, these are optional to purchase.

It's Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:40 PM   #64
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
The point is that the system that allows you to get FP's like that is almost certainly going away. DL did not have FP's for several attractions that were quite popular and the wait lines were not that crazy. Add FP's?? Guess what.

I still think it would be very interesting to see what would occur. Frankly, long lines mean not enough top attractions IMO. I don't agree that rides should have to have FP's in order to get on them in a reasonable amount of time or that you're going to have to spend hours waiting for a ride if you don't have FP's. It's all too expensive for that bs any more.

You hit the nail on the head. "Long lines mean not enough top attractions"

Toy Story Midway Mania. Routinely has short lines in California I don't know if it has some type of FP but when I worked out there and had an AP you could generally get in under 30 minutes... But in Florida... we had to have the ride doubled to meet demand. Hmm... it's the EXACT same ride but one side of the country has it in a park with lots of attractions for both adults and kids and the other didn't.....
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #65
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
If they did them day before, then a lot more people would be staying offsite. The 60 day advantage is a HUGE reason many people stay onsite now.
I thought Disney extended the 60 day window to "select" off-sight hotels. Didn't I read that someplace here on MouseOwners?

Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:00 PM   #66
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
I thought Disney extended the 60 day window to "select" off-sight hotels. Didn't I read that someplace here on MouseOwners?
Yes they did. And they announced it's continuing.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #67
walnuts24
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I think that was Motley Fool? I'm not sure AP holders are the core market. I think they believe their core market is the guest that comes every few years and stays for 5-7 days. They've obviously made DVC guests an important part of their market, so they throw us just enough bones to not punish us for wanting to visit frequently (i.e., use the damn points bought).

We can argue whether Disney has or hasn't gotten too expensive. The reality is, there are still ways to enjoy the parks "on the cheap" (relatively speaking) and Disney will always make that possible. But the more you commit (longer stay, onsite stay, upgrade options), the more Disney will reward you - until you want to buy an AP.

Time will tell. With SW:GE and the 50th, attendance is going to be just fine, if not through the roof, until at least 2023.

Dirk
You hit on something here! I think the big thing is that the RFIDs in Magicbands have already provided Disney all the data they need to make educated decisions. Think about what they know about each person: what time they enter the park, how many times they come a year, what time they go to their hotel, what time they go on rides, what time they eat, the name and birth date of their children, probably some other scary stuff too. (The MDE app allows them to locate every user all day. When you hit accept to the location services they know this also.) I don't have an aluminum hat on and am perfectly fine with them collecting this information from me to try and improve the experience.

Point is, they already know exactly what and who their core market is and have probably already come up with a long term plan to maximize profits. My guess is this includes increasing ticket prices first (already in action/done), adding a paid FP system (coming soon) and finally increasing the room prices. They only things they have to worry about is a recession (but they can mitigate that by giving more incentives and packages) and the PR hit from pricing out too many people (which is why they will make the changes very gradual.)

Everyone keeps hoping for a 5th gate. I think they have 10 years of maximizing what they have before they even think about actually building a 5th gate.
walnuts24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:09 PM   #68
chrisvee
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnuts24 View Post
You hit on something here! I think the big thing is that the RFIDs in Magicbands have already provided Disney all the data they need to make educated decisions. Think about what they know about each person: what time they enter the park, how many times they come a year, what time they go to their hotel, what time they go on rides, what time they eat, the name and birth date of their children, probably some other scary stuff too. (The MDE app allows them to locate every user all day. When you hit accept to the location services they know this also.)
Plus our spending habits.

Yep. I was somewhat stunned by the assertion in an article linked to this week that claimed MBs are a failure. Huh? Disney has so much data on us now that they can predict what we’ll do fairly successfully.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:14 PM   #69
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
You do realize that what you are going to wind up with is NOT the system you have now. At best you will get your "three" rides and then the "pick up" will be at $$$$. They will not continue to allow to ride all the rides without lines unless you fork over more $$$. \
Works for me. We shall see.

Cheers.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:41 AM   #70
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnuts24 View Post
You hit on something here! I think the big thing is that the RFIDs in Magicbands have already provided Disney all the data they need to make educated decisions. Think about what they know about each person: what time they enter the park, how many times they come a year, what time they go to their hotel, what time they go on rides, what time they eat, the name and birth date of their children, probably some other scary stuff too. (The MDE app allows them to locate every user all day. When you hit accept to the location services they know this also.) I don't have an aluminum hat on and am perfectly fine with them collecting this information from me to try and improve the experience.

Point is, they already know exactly what and who their core market is and have probably already come up with a long term plan to maximize profits. My guess is this includes increasing ticket prices first (already in action/done), adding a paid FP system (coming soon) and finally increasing the room prices. They only things they have to worry about is a recession (but they can mitigate that by giving more incentives and packages) and the PR hit from pricing out too many people (which is why they will make the changes very gradual.)

Everyone keeps hoping for a 5th gate. I think they have 10 years of maximizing what they have before they even think about actually building a 5th gate.
I'm pretty convinced MDE and uncharges are their 5th Gate. I think an actual 5th gate is 25 or more years away. They are not likely to make the resort so bag that you can't do all the main parks in a week.

Their goal right now is to get the people with money while still make it possible for the average person to still do Disney. It will be line-filled Value Stay trapped on property doing QS but it can be done.

When the next recession comes, Disney will deeply discount to keep people coming, but I doubt they'll lower prices. Iger said early on that Disney controls soft demand through discounts not price reductions. That way, when the economy rebounds, they can reduce the discounts and begin to increase prices earlier.

And now, Disney has far more DVC guests than the last recession so we could make out like bandits as we will be their reliable faithful. Maybe really good ticket deals and dining discounts. That is, if we can afford to get there!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote