home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #11
oufpat
Two Bedroom

For us it's too much work to pool hop, we just enjoy where we are!
oufpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:30 PM   #12
kaedeesmom
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcsquirrel View Post
Just not sure if I see that great of an appeal. We normally stay at BW and that pool is creepy and all but not sure if we would want to bus or walk to get to another pool. Just seems really inconvenient. Maybe if BCV was open we would have tried it once just to say we tried it, but I'd rather be able to walk up to the room. 9 times out of 10 my family ends up at the quiet pool because the prefer less people. Do people spend the day at the other pools or just try new ones, maybe I am just missing it.
In 1992, my Dad took me and my brother pool hopping for a day (we had a rental car), and we swam in every single Disney resort pool available at the time (including the Swolphin). We would check out the scenery/theming, jump in the pool, swim for a few minutes, slide down the slide a few times (where available), swim for a few more minutes, and then dry off and move on. It felt like we were on a super-fun mission, and my brother and I thought it was SO COOL!!!

When he was younger, my DS loved pools and pool slides...*almost* more than the parks. We've pool hopped on most of our trips. It was easy to bring his swim trunks with us when dining at another resort and let him swim before/after our meal. By then I had no personal interest in pool hopping, but he was a huge fan so the tradition continued.

When DH, DS, and I were there in July, 2016, we had a rental car and spent a day pool hopping. In spite of inclement weather, we managed to hit the feature pools at FW, OKW, SSR, and Kidani. It was a nice break from the parks, and we had a blast! Over the years, DS has also swum at BCV, POR, POFQ, GF, Poly, BLT, Contemporary, and Jambo.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:45 PM   #13
Hi from RI
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
I was once at AKV Kidani pool with my mom as we were staying there...May 2017. And a large group was in there with coolers and no MBs. There were like 10 people in a few cars (several moms with kids). They left when we left and I watched them get in cars with FL tags and drive out. Could they have been staying at Jambo and drove over? Sure but I doubt it.

We have never hopped and don't even use the pools all that much anyway. But I am not keen that my BWV (home) allows hopping. My CCV (home) doesn't and I am glad.

Yes unlikely they were staying there is NO ONE had magic bands on but even then they may not be staying there.

We've stayed at BC and they come around and definitely check the bands.....we own at CCV now too have to see if they do as well.

ME Nicole ,DH , DS24 : , DD22 , DD14
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #14
richviii
Two Bedroom

We had considered visiting VGC pool since we are staying at Poly just to do it. I guess that is off the list now. In general, I don’t see it is worth the effort.

Recent
2019 Jan - AKV, Apr - HHI, Apr - CCV, BCV, May - Off-Site, Jun Poly2018 Jan - Swan & Dolphin, Apr - BCV, July - Disneyland, Sept - BLT, Nov - Swan & Dolphin, BLT 2017 Apr- BWV/BLT, Aug - VGC and Aulani, Dec - BWV & BLT 2016 Dec- BLT, Dec - Disneyland, Aug - Disney CX Summit - GF, Apr - BWV/BTL, 2015 - Nov - BWV/S&D, June - Off-Site, Apr - Contemporary/Off-Site, Feb - S&D, Jan 15 - Off-Site, 2014 - Nov - BLT, Aug - Off-Site, May - Off-Site, Mar - Off-Site, 2013 - Nov - Off-Site, Jun - Off-Site, 2012 Nov - Off-Site
richviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #15
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by richviii View Post
We had considered visiting VGC pool since we are staying at Poly just to do it. I guess that is off the list now. In general, I don’t see it is worth the effort.
That would have been a long trip to California just to use the pool there.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #16
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oufpat View Post
For us it's too much work to pool hop, we just enjoy where we are!
Old 05-25-2019, 11:37 PM   #17
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post

Ha! Had the same thought...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:10 AM   #18
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:22 AM   #19
SAMAYA
Studio

Over the years we've experienced off-site guests using the pools at SSR, OKW and the GFV and we know that for a fact because they were brazen enough to talk about it. We wish castmembers were tasked with randomly checking the magic bands of every one around all the DVC pools, especially the quiet ones.

Pool hopping is not available at the following pools—with no exceptions to this policy:
Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort – Bay Cove Pool
Disney's Art of Animation Resort – pools
Disney’s Beach Club Villas – leisure pool
Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa – pools
Disney's Polynesian Village Resort – The Lava Pool and leisure pool
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge – Boulder Ridge Cove Pool and The Copper Creek Springs Pool
Disney's Yacht Club Resort and Disney’s Beach Club Resort – Stormalong Bay

When staying on your Membership at any Disney Vacation Club Resort at Walt Disney World Resort or at Disney's Vero Beach Resort, you and any Guests staying with you are permitted to take advantage of complimentary alternative pool use, which provides access to:
The pool or pools at the Disney Vacation Club Resort where you are staying
Select pools at Disney Vacation Club Resorts
Select pools at Walt Disney World Resort hotels

Complimentary alternative pool use (pool hopping) is not considered a Membership Extra. This benefit is offered to all Disney Vacation Club Members, regardless of how they purchased.
SAMAYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:22 AM   #20
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMAYA View Post
Over the years we've experienced off-site guests using the pools at SSR, OKW and the GFV and we know that for a fact because they were brazen enough to talk about it. We wish castmembers were tasked with randomly checking the magic bands of every one around all the DVC pools, especially the quiet ones.

Pool hopping is not available at the following pools—with no exceptions to this policy:
Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort – Bay Cove Pool
Disney's Art of Animation Resort – pools
Disney’s Beach Club Villas – leisure pool
Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa – pools
Disney's Polynesian Village Resort – The Lava Pool and leisure pool
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge – Boulder Ridge Cove Pool and The Copper Creek Springs Pool
Disney's Yacht Club Resort and Disney’s Beach Club Resort – Stormalong Bay

When staying on your Membership at any Disney Vacation Club Resort at Walt Disney World Resort or at Disney's Vero Beach Resort, you and any Guests staying with you are permitted to take advantage of complimentary alternative pool use, which provides access to:
The pool or pools at the Disney Vacation Club Resort where you are staying
Select pools at Disney Vacation Club Resorts
Select pools at Walt Disney World Resort hotels

Complimentary alternative pool use (pool hopping) is not considered a Membership Extra. This benefit is offered to all Disney Vacation Club Members, regardless of how they purchased.
The options are really just AKL, Boardwalk, SSR, OKW, and the mods. I can't imagine anybody wanting to hop to a value pool. Of those available, Jambo and a couple of the mods are really the only decent/interesting pools.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote