home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-02-2019, 11:04 PM   #51
FCivish3
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
Buy your stock now everybody!

Usually with a new resort they wait 6 months to a year before raising prices so they almost get reimbursed for the first year MFs while still having been able to rent out the rooms, but this is fast! Puts a sense of urgency on purchasing Riviera points if you would do so in the first year or two anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
End of April before the current sale goes away. It might be replaced by something else, but not necessarily. Then you get to the end of May before they might be raising the bottom line prices.
I have been so critical of Disney lately, but I think I am drowning in Kool-Aid. Or maybe too much Pixie Dust in my eyes.

I hate what Disney has done at Riviera by restricting the ability of resale purchasers to exchange out to other resorts. Definitely will affect Resale value. How much remains to be seen. Could be a lot, could be a little. But that doesn't matter if I never sell Riviera. If I bought it and my family used it for 50 years, used it up, it would never matter that Resale might not be as nice as for other resorts. I could still be using it when I am 114.

Since I have 1000 other points at other resorts, I have other points that I could sell if I want. It wouldn't really be as necessary for me to be able to sell it. So, Riviera might be a better fit for me than for people who only own at Riviera, since I will have more flexibility.

I am also reminded of how I didn't purchase Bay Lake Tower when it first opened, because I thought the price was too high. Well, I not only ended up paying nearly 50% more, just 5 years later, on the Resale market. I also missed out on those 5 years of vacations there. Putting off the purchase at BLT didn't save me a thing.

And then I bought Poly, Direct, and now, just a year or two later, I could sell it resale for the price I paid. And Disney has raised their price by over 35%. Putting off that purchase also wouldn't have saved a thing.

So, maybe I should just get off my high horse and take the plunge. Buy a chunk of Riviera. Before prices do go up, as it appears they must. Am I being stupid?

Poly, AKL, BLT

FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:35 AM   #52
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCivish3 View Post
I have been so critical of Disney lately, but I think I am drowning in Kool-Aid. Or maybe too much Pixie Dust in my eyes.

I hate what Disney has done at Riviera by restricting the ability of resale purchasers to exchange out to other resorts. Definitely will affect Resale value. How much remains to be seen. Could be a lot, could be a little. But that doesn't matter if I never sell Riviera. If I bought it and my family used it for 50 years, used it up, it would never matter that Resale might not be as nice as for other resorts. I could still be using it when I am 114.

Since I have 1000 other points at other resorts, I have other points that I could sell if I want. It wouldn't really be as necessary for me to be able to sell it. So, Riviera might be a better fit for me than for people who only own at Riviera, since I will have more flexibility.

I am also reminded of how I didn't purchase Bay Lake Tower when it first opened, because I thought the price was too high. Well, I not only ended up paying nearly 50% more, just 5 years later, on the Resale market. I also missed out on those 5 years of vacations there. Putting off the purchase at BLT didn't save me a thing.

And then I bought Poly, Direct, and now, just a year or two later, I could sell it resale for the price I paid. And Disney has raised their price by over 35%. Putting off that purchase also wouldn't have saved a thing.

So, maybe I should just get off my high horse and take the plunge. Buy a chunk of Riviera. Before prices do go up, as it appears they must. Am I being stupid?
I understand about the resale concerns for anyone who feels like they might sell in the next 10 years, I really do. For me I know that I don't buy anything I intend to sell and will just give these to my son one day. It's nitty going to be worth the hassle or the commission for my family to sell absent an unforeseen hardship.

This resort ticks a lot of boxes for me but I'm unsure about the gondola experience. Given the current incentives during construction though, I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

My family paid 155 and change after incentives at Poly and could easily get our money back since the contracts are smallish. CCV came out the gate with high MFs and had strong sales. Seeing how high they've priced sold out resorts along with being able to change UY of points they ROFR'd makes me think they will keep the resale values rather high overall. It'll be years before RRV resale is a viable option and then it would be restricted and possibly a around the same price it is now direct.

I could have wool over my eyes as well, but it's my belief that this resort will be very in demand once it opens and especially once people are comfortable using the gondolas. We could be at 191pp this June compared to 170ish now for exactly the same thing, so if I find the money I'm in. We were considering an OKW direct at some point but that $156pp compared to $167pp for 200 points at RRV seems inferior given that I can get okw I treads pretty much anytime I want. Point chart is higher but still lower than the pvb we're happy with and direct transportation to two resorts.

So I don't think you're being stupid. Better to analyze business processes coldly and buy vacation points emotionally than the other way around, IMO. I've been drinking the Kool Aid for a few years now, and it hasn't killed need yet. It's less salty and more hydrating than haterade.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #53
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:

I think how someone spends money is a very personal decision. What may be right for one person may be wrong for another. As Iíve told a few already, I wish I wouldíve kept my decision to buy Riviera to myself. The amount of negative things people have said is unbelievable to me. There have been far more negative comments than positive ones. I do accept that I invited the criticism whether directly or indirectly by posting on a message board that I bought Riviera. I wonít make the mistake of sharing any more decisions on what we buy or more likely sell on message boards anymore. If you think itís a resort that you and your family would enjoy, then you shouldnít feel bad about buying there. Itís your money and your decision. There are pros and cons to every decision. After youíve given it some thought, just make the decision that feels right for you.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #54
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
I think how someone spends money is a very personal decision.

I agree.....people get hung up way to much on trying to save a buck or make a deal. I believe in doing what makes you happy as long as you can afford to do so. If everyone was sincere in going the cheapest and most practical way, we would all own SSR resale contracts and not bother with any of the other resorts.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #55
tom82097
Studio

Quote:
I think how someone spends money is a very personal decision. What may be right for one person may be wrong for another. As Iíve told a few already, I wish I wouldíve kept my decision to buy Riviera to myself. The amount of negative things people have said is unbelievable to me. There have been far more negative comments than positive ones. I do accept that I invited the criticism whether directly or indirectly by posting on a message board that I bought Riviera. I wonít make the mistake of sharing any more decisions on what we buy or more likely sell on message boards anymore. If you think itís a resort that you and your family would enjoy, then you shouldnít feel bad about buying there. Itís your money and your decision. There are pros and cons to every decision. After youíve given it some thought, just make the decision that feels right for you.
Respond to these negative people from your brand new villa overlooking Epcot and HS! You are right, what is right for someone is not right for someone else. I for one am still deciding. Certainly a lot to think about.

I have a feeling five years from now, we will be looking at pricing the same way we do about VGF or BLT. (Damn! Should have bought x years ago!) But of course these resale differences make me wonder if the resale market will react the same way. We'll see.

Regardless, welcome home! Enjoy your new points. 50 years of vacations is the best value you will get out of your add on, not resale.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #56
MMC1
Grand Villa

I appreciate every comment made since it is different aspects to share for all.
Please keep posting no matter what.

You are the only one you need to make happy

Last edited by MMC1; 05-07-2019 at 08:03 AM.
MMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #57
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom82097 View Post
Respond to these negative people from your brand new villa overlooking Epcot and HS! You are right, what is right for someone is not right for someone else. I for one am still deciding. Certainly a lot to think about.

I have a feeling five years from now, we will be looking at pricing the same way we do about VGF or BLT. (Damn! Should have bought x years ago!) But of course these resale differences make me wonder if the resale market will react the same way. We'll see.

Regardless, welcome home! Enjoy your new points. 50 years of vacations is the best value you will get out of your add on, not resale.
Thank you. I completely agree with what you said about the value of memories and vacations versus resale.

I am not oblivious that I can be fairly judgmental myself sometimes, and it's something I try to keep in check. I'm not perfect and will surely still post something that makes me cringe when I re-read it later on, but I'll try to minimize that. I will stop whining now and just enjoy my vacations going forward.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #58
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:

What do you think would be acceptable resale if you bought now and had to sell? Do you think that DRR would likely sell at your acceptable point?

I don't see this resort goin for $50-$100 on resale. I see it over $100. If you use your points for five years, are you OK with getting back 2/3 - 3/4 of your investment cost in exchange for those vacations?

Could you hold on to 10 years where you might very well get close to 100% back?

It's a personal decision, to be sure, but I don't think there has been much discussion on what the likely resale is 5-10 years down the road. DVC direct points for the latest resort could be going for $250 - $275 by the time you sold at that point, so $150 for DRR would be considered a bargain, restrictions and all. Especially if there is a $95 booking fee to waive those restrictions (like with the Disney collection). Pure conjecture on my part.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #59
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
If you think itís a resort that you and your family would enjoy, then you shouldnít feel bad about buying there. Itís your money and your decision. There are pros and cons to every decision. After youíve given it some thought, just make the decision that feels right for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I agree.....people get hung up way to much on trying to save a buck or make a deal. I believe in doing what makes you happy as long as you can afford to do so. If everyone was sincere in going the cheapest and most practical way, we would all own SSR resale contracts and not bother with any of the other resorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom82097 View Post
Agreed on all counts
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #60
capeokw56
Grand Villa

Quote:
I think how someone spends money is a very personal decision. What may be right for one person may be wrong for another. As I’ve told a few already, I wish I would’ve kept my decision to buy Riviera to myself. The amount of negative things people have said is unbelievable to me. There have been far more negative comments than positive ones. I do accept that I invited the criticism whether directly or indirectly by posting on a message board that I bought Riviera. I won’t make the mistake of sharing any more decisions on what we buy or more likely sell on message boards anymore. If you think it’s a resort that you and your family would enjoy, then you shouldn’t feel bad about buying there. It’s your money and your decision. There are pros and cons to every decision. After you’ve given it some thought, just make the decision that feels right for you.
Sorry to hear this. I don't understand why anyone would criticize or demean another person's choices. Some people like Ford, some people like Chevy. It's a personal choice and isn't anybody else's business. Just ignore the noise and I hope you enjoy all your years at Riviera.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote