home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-26-2020, 08:31 AM   #11
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Couldn't figure out how to log DH's laptop onto the wifi here but our phones got on. They gave us the nextdoor password. They manage that unit too and it is vacant this week. Told her about the roaches and she claimed they were palmetto bugs. I know a Palmetto bug when I see it and these are not them plus palmettos ARE roaches too. But the kind here are those little German infestation kind. I told her that and got no response. Noticed a can of roach spray in the pantry. I do NOT want to bring any hitchhikers home with me.

After she left we went out to check out an area of HH we haven't been...the Port Royal/Folly Field area. I liked it but DH did not. Cant remember his reason but one thing about that area is the airport is right there so you probably get a lot of plane noise.

We tried to go to a Ravens bar, Coconuts, but they turned us away because they were at capacity. So we drove over to Shelter Cove and went to Bucci and Murray's and sat outside. The DH wanted to see the Sunday football scene there. We sat outside and they had 5 TVs playing 4 games. It was steady busy. Had good service and decent food.

Walked down to the famous HH Social Bakery. Each chose a dessert to take back for later.

Went back to nasty condo and I ran the vacuum and took my clorox wipes, I brought with me, and wiped things down really well. Even the doors and walls some. I swept the front patio because we kept walking pinestraw and crud in.

Then we walked the dog. Walked into Evian villas. My neighbor, at home, just bought a condo in there. They are lovely. When driving in from late lunch we saw a gator in a pond. And at Evian there was one too. Got a pic. And a great sunset pic too. Met a nice couple who were out collecting golf balls from the ponds. They had this big pole thing. They give them to their son in law. The lady told us that April is dont walk around the ponds time. As it is gator breeding time. She said that's the only time they are aggressive with people. So we cross April off the calendar for HH trips.

Went back and watched World Series a bit. Until DH got mad at how Tampa was doing and changed the channel. We heated up leftovers and shared them and ate our desserts. They were yummy. DH went to bed at 9 and I had plans to watch Fear the Walking Dead. The living room has a sleeper sofa and they had clean sheets in a plastic bag. I took the flat sheet and had laid it on the sofa where I sit. I curled up there to watch the show but I fell asleep. Woke at like 11.15. Took the dog out real fast for a wee. Then hauled him up to the bedroom and went back to sleep.

Got up this morning a little before 7. And DH took the dog down and out to wee. I meandered down and made coffee. DH was making a bagel. We bought all groceries we could put in fridge and not sit open bags/boxes of food on counters with roaches. We are keeping the bagels in the fridge too. As I was making coffee...3 roaches crawled on the counter. I killed them. And moved the coffee maker (which I washed out really well the day before) to a table they have in a little nook off the front patio. We bought jugs of water to use for coffee (and to drink) as well as paper plates and Styrofoam cups (so we don't use their stuff in cabinets). Moved all that to table with coffee maker.

When I get home I will have to leave all our luggage and bags in the garage for a while. Just empty them and carry stuff in by hand and leave the bags in garage. In case there are any critters. The cold will get them. We go to FL the end of Nov. Will just leave them until then.

DH just went off to get a haircut. He did that here in June too. He likes this barber. We plan to do the beach today. But its currently ☁️. So we will see. DH has to work tomorrow and I plan to go to the outlets or something.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s): Nov 28- Dec 2 VGF&BCV/ Dec 2-12 Palm Coast, Sept 27- Oct 3 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Last edited by Lamima; 10-26-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #12
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Sorry to hear you are struggling with your villa. Shipyard is a big subdivision with I guess varying degrees of quality.

Evian is where my Realtor took us and it was very nice. Pricey and lots of fees though.
There are new construction homes in Mitchelville and Broad Creek if you haven’t already checked those out. I know you are looking for a share, but it’s nice to see what’s going on the island.
I like the residential parts for retirement as it will be quieter in the busy season.
The Island population goes from 40k to 110k in busy months.
Folly Field has an Islander Beach Park for residents with designated parking for $35 per year. Very nice facilities beach too. We just stayed at Barony a few weeks ago and enjoyed that area and the beaches are less crowded than S. Forest.
I decided to build on the North end close to AirPort. Fish haul beach is quiet year round and the planes are smaller on HHI, mostly small jets so noise is not constant. The sunsets are gorgeous and lots of Marsh life to watch.
The area is booming with Bluffton building huge new subdivisions and HHH airport May expand in the future to service HHH/Bluffton. Many locals are moving to Bluffton but I want to be on the Island. So far I’m very impressed with health care on the Island as well. I’m starting to pick doctors in my network.
Enjoying your report and I will be back for Veterans Day week at Marriott Grande Ocean.

Last edited by DVCQUEEN; 10-26-2020 at 09:09 AM.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #13
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCQUEEN View Post
Sorry to hear you are struggling with your villa. Shipyard is a big subdivision with I guess varying degrees of quality.

Evian is where my Realtor took us and it was very nice. Pricey and lots of fees though.
There are new construction homes in Mitchelville and Broad Creek if you haven’t already checked those out. I know you are looking for a share, but it’s nice to see what’s going on the island.
I like the residential parts for retirement as it will be quieter in the busy season.
The Island population goes from 40k to 110k in busy months.
Folly Field has an Islander Beach Park for residents with designated parking for $35 per year. Very nice facilities beach too. We just stayed at Barony a few weeks ago and enjoyed that area and the beaches are less crowded than S. Forest.
I decided to build on the North end close to AirPort. Fish haul beach is quiet year round and the planes are smaller on HHI, mostly small jets so noise is not constant. The sunsets are gorgeous and lots of Marsh life to watch.
The area is booming with Bluffton building huge new subdivisions and HHH airport May expand in the future to service HHH/Bluffton. Many locals are moving to Bluffton but I want to be on the Island. So far I’m very impressed with health care on the Island as well. I’m starting to pick doctors in my network.
Enjoying your report and I will be back for Veterans Day week at Marriott Grande Ocean.
DH loves this Shipyard area. Loves it. I am surprised because its a busy area. But he likes that we can take the Pope Ave exit to go to the Coligny places OR we can take the Hilton Pkwy exit to go north to Shelter Cove area. We can avoid that roundabout.

Went to Pool Bar Jim's for lunch today. Was okay. Then walked on the beach with the dog a bit. It was cloudy and slightly chilly. We got back about 2.5 hours later. The dog is wiped out. We are just watching TV. Will head out to dinner in a bit. Kinda early. We are debating where to go. Want casual and nearby.

Next trip(s): Nov 28- Dec 2 VGF&BCV/ Dec 2-12 Palm Coast, Sept 27- Oct 3 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Old 10-27-2020, 02:12 PM   #14
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Went to Charbar last night. Sat by outside bar. We got sushi and a burger to share. And sat there for several hours. Drinking and listening to the live music. Was a nice time. The food is so good there too. Went back and fell asleep at 8pm.

Woke at 5.30am. Laid in bed until 7. DH is working today. So I showered and waked the dog over towards the beach. It's a quick walk. But the old fella was huffing and puffing so we didn't go all the way out to the beach and just turned around and came back. I ran some laundry. Then ran out to get us lunch.

I went to Bullies BBQ for ribs. But got there to see they were closed. Google maps said they were supposed to be open. Went on their website to see a tiny notice that they were closed this week.

Drove back towards Shipyard and decided to try Sea Shack for the 1st time. Have always heard great things about it. They are basically a carry out window of all kinds of seafood platters. Get hushpuppies and 2 sides like coleslaw, greenbeans and fries and the such. Got DH blackened mahi grilled and myself some fries shrimp. It was very good and quick. Brought it back to eat at the condo.

Watched my soap and DH is working. I may run out to shop or something. I was going to go to the outlets but they are like 25 mins drive and I don't feel like going. Don't need anything anyway. And we have outlets up in PA.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #15
Wonderdog4
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Little tiny roaches in kitchen. Uggh. And then DH tried to connect to wifi and no dice. Called management company and they sent someone over. Been working on it for a while. Eating up our day.

Got up and showered and went to Skillets for breakfast. It was drizzling. Poured last night too. Had some omelets and coffee. Was very good. They gave a 10% discount too. Then went to Piggly Wiggly. Got back and discovered the wifi deal.
Skillets is very good. We used to enjoy taking our dog there and eating outside. They had a special menu for dogs. We would buy our pup breakfast. Needless to say, she loved it.

Last edited by Wonderdog4; 10-28-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Wonderdog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:43 PM   #16
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog4 View Post
Skillets is very good. We used to enjoy taking our dog there and eating outside. They had a special menu for dogs. We would by our pup breakfast. Needless to say, she loved it.
We may have to go back with the pup. He'd love that. The food was good. Wanna try the French toast. Going all in this trip and getting back on the diet/workout wagon the minute we get back home. This covid crap has put a hurting on our diets.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #17
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Quote:
Little tiny roaches in kitchen. Uggh. And then DH tried to connect to wifi and no dice. Called management company and they sent someone over. Been working on it for a while. Eating up our day.

Got up and showered and went to Skillets for breakfast. It was drizzling. Poured last night too. Had some omelets and coffee. Was very good. They gave a 10% discount too. Then went to Piggly Wiggly. Got back and discovered the wifi deal.
Caught up on TR. Sounds like beach is nice, and some good places to eat. We've never been to Hilton Head, and I'm trying to talk DH into it for next year, use up some DVC points. Will definitely need to know best places to eat. Sounds like the doggie is enjoying it too, even in a different environment.

Sorry about the bug situation. I can't handle that. I'm not scared of any bug except roaches. and yes, palmetto bugs are roaches. Good idea to leave suitcases out in garage for awhile, etc. hopefully no hitchhikers.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip. Thanks for sharing!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:26 PM   #18
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
When- Arriving tomorrow 10/24 and leaving 11/1. Heading out today and stopping in hotel tonight. Hope to arrive by noon tomorrow so DH can watch his Buckeyes.

Where- DH booked a 1BR condo on VRBO in Shipyard. He booked for an anniversary gift and chose this unit because it was cheap and allowed us to bring the dog. It looks a little...um...dumpy. We shall see.

Who- Just DH and I and the pup.
Love shipyard - great location!
Old 10-29-2020, 09:15 AM   #19
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
Caught up on TR. Sounds like beach is nice, and some good places to eat. We've never been to Hilton Head, and I'm trying to talk DH into it for next year, use up some DVC points. Will definitely need to know best places to eat. Sounds like the doggie is enjoying it too, even in a different environment.

Sorry about the bug situation. I can't handle that. I'm not scared of any bug except roaches. and yes, palmetto bugs are roaches. Good idea to leave suitcases out in garage for awhile, etc. hopefully no hitchhikers.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip. Thanks for sharing!
The beach has been nice. The bug situation has calmed sort of (no roaches in 48 hours but little gnat things everywhere though they are not as bothersome). But the moldy AC vents piping out a musty air is killing my allergies.

Food places are abound here. Is that the right term? There are tons and good ones. So you can't go wrong. Hope you can get in a trip here. It is so lovely.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #20
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh bears mom View Post
Love shipyard - great location!
Yep. We love it. Always loved Shelter Cove but now we love this area too. DH is all in. He loves that there are so many restaurants right here. And we can pop out onto Hilton Pkwy to head north and avoid that Pope roundabout. Or we go out to Pope to do the Coligny area stuff. And we can walk to the beach. Cant do that from Shelter Cove (you could but it wouldn't be fun at about 2 miles). And its nice and quiet in here too.