home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #21
DBridge
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
Seems so weird to me the hatred out there for this guy. Disney is killing it these days! Can't wait for all that's to come.

I agree. Of all the people here complaining about Iger ruining Disney, I wonder how many have a trip planned in the next 6 months? How many have seen all the latest marvel movies? How many are going to stream the channel? How many will be a part of the $200 million + opening weekend of Rise of Skywalker?

My guess is a lot
DBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #22
MMC1
Grand Villa

I just watched the interview (dvr)... Very entertaining and FUNNY.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:10 PM   #23
MMC1
Grand Villa

he Did mention donating tennis shoes briefly

Last edited by MMC1; 10-04-2019 at 08:20 PM.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:04 PM   #24
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
The Iger era is just as defining for Disney as Eisner and Walt.

From the theme park perspective, everyone seems to hate the man's guts, but it's quite possible that without his leadership, Disney could have been swallowed up and broken up by another company.

Nobody will really get a real evaluation of his tenure until some 3rd party (without an axe to grind) writes the book.

At least by the end of his tenure, the company will be in a very strong position, unlike at the end of Eisner's tenure or the tenures of those who succeeded Walt and Roy. That alone is a first for the company.

Dirk

Exactly.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:31 PM   #25
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
No thanks. Not a fan of that guy.
Me neither. He done wrong by Sarah Silverman, and I really like her.

Cheers.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:32 PM   #26
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
Subtitled

"How to Risk a Company's Long Term Viability for Short Term Profits"
Well, other than the fact that he doesn't seem to be doing this, it reads well in rant land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdownthehatch View Post
Best selling book all about Disney. Sounds genius to me.

Stocks up, dividends up, most analysts rate Disney stock as a BUY... probable gonna be hard to find a lot of stockholders who feel cheated.
There ya go again- getting facts in the way of a whiny rant. For shame!

Cheers.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #27
Sephorin
Grand Villa

I'm no CEO, and no one would want me as one. (Well, maybe someone like the Dalai Lama. ) But it seems to me that Disney has made a lot of BIG moves that will be great for the company going forward. What some folks find irksome are the SMALL moves that Disney has made that (to some) have diminished the value and raised the price point of the parks.

I'm not sure what, if anything, Iger had to do with the small moves. If he signed off on them, I can understand some folks' dislike.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #28
hilaw
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephorin View Post
I'm no CEO, and no one would want me as one. (Well, maybe someone like the Dalai Lama. ) But it seems to me that Disney has made a lot of BIG moves that will be great for the company going forward. What some folks find irksome are the SMALL moves that Disney has made that (to some) have diminished the value and raised the price point of the parks.

I'm not sure what, if anything, Iger had to do with the small moves. If he signed off on them, I can understand some folks' dislike.
Your comment was very Dalai Lama - ish
hilaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #29
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunter View Post
Maybe even more so than Eisner. The renaissance did happen under Eisner (little mermad, beauty beast, Aladdin, Lion King), in addition, Eisner put everything on VHS and released alot of the vault stuff.

Pixar purchase happened under Iger. Plus he went on to buy Star Wars and Marvel. Instead of VHS, he's doing the Disney+. Plus massive park additions like Star Wars land. Perhaps alot of the bad theme park decisions (cuts) are happening under Bob Chapek and will be fixed if he ever gets the axe.
I think Eisner created modern Disney. I wouldn't say either one or the other is more important, but equally defining in different ways. While Iger did focus on content acquisition more than content creation, I see it as a confutation of Eisner's work.

However, with new media and streaming, Iger may truly be the defining figure in Disney history, so I see your point as well!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #30
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
Seems so weird to me the hatred out there for this guy. Disney is killing it these days! Can't wait for all that's to come.
I think the hate comes because people here and on other boards judge Disney by the theme parks. Every little thing they dislike in the parks is Iger's fault and an example of how he's destroying the company (while it is stronger and more powerful than it has likely ever been).

Add the pricing strategies, lack of quality expansing for about a decade, and transitioning to tech-based planning systems that turns guests into robots, and he becomes the face of everything we dislike about the modern parks experience.

Interestingly, he gets zero credit for the home run that people generally think Pandora is, or for pouring billions of dollars into fixing DCA . . .

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote