home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-06-2019, 05:39 AM   #71
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
How about we reimagine the space inside Stitch's Great Escape / XS-Tech / Mission to Mars / etc, you can float around trying to circumvent the computer while it apologizes that it can't do that...it can use the MagicBand tech to know your name
"I'm sorry Ralph, I'm afraid I can't do that."

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #72
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
I feel like the west side of Epcot by The Land and The Living Seas has a Japanese vibe...in a way

Speaking of Tomorrowland, I am a huge fan of '70s Tomorrowland, every time I see pictures of that I just melt. It was more of "2001 Space Odyssey" vision than a "Buck Rogers" vision. But obviously that is personal preference...Maybe before I die some day they will bring that back...or hint at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Since 2001: A Space Odyssey was released in 1968, and Magic Kingdom opened in 1971, it may have had some direct influence.
I always thought "Logan's Run" but I can 2001 in there also. Of course, MK pre-dates Logan's Run.

It was a real shocker going back to Tomorrowland in 2003 as my last visit was 1987 and all I remembered was "white, white, everywhere!"

I like the whimsy of the Buck Rogers Tomorrowland, but it's as much fantasy as Fantasyland. Original Tomorrowland really made me dream about the future - flights Mars, rocket ships, ever-evolving process, futuristic transportation with people movers. Current TL has some neat attractions but it's so jumbled together now.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #73
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Current TL has some neat attractions but it's so jumbled together now.

Dirk
Much like Future Wold has become.

Now we get a futuristic beer garden. Even Tomorrowland hasnít sunk quite so low.

On a Logans run memory note - I vividly remember watching Loganís Run for the first time in our rented condo while we were in Orlando. The next day was the Magic Kingdom where I was standing close to the Town Hall putting on some lip balm when I felt a tap tap on my shoulder. I turned around to find that Goofy wanted some lip balm too.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:03 PM   #74
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post

Now we get a futuristic beer garden. Even Tomorrowland hasnít sunk quite so low.

On a Logans run memory note - I vividly remember watching Loganís Run for the first time in our rented condo while we were in Orlando. The next day was the Magic Kingdom where I was standing close to the Town Hall putting on some lip balm when I felt a tap tap on my shoulder. I turned around to find that Goofy wanted some lip balm too.
Hah! Back in the days when the characters could actually interact with you!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #75
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Dirk
Yes, a time long gone. Now they appear to run away from you if you see them out of their assigned spot!
Old 07-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #76
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Quote:

Dirk
Quote:
Yes, a time long gone. Now they appear to run away from you if you see them out of their assigned spot!
We have some great character shots from the kidsí first trip in Ď99. It seemed like everywhere you turned, there was a character milling about. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, the Dwarves, King Louie, Daisy, Donald, Goofy, and so many more! I really miss that. It really was ďmagical.Ē