home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
ssconner
Studio

Default Which spa?

Wanting to have a mini spa day for upcoming July trip. I've been to Senses at SSR and Mandara at the swolfin (enjoyed the former, underwhelmed at the latter). Is the senses spa at GF better than SSR, same, or worse? Would love to know people's favorite treatments and/or any recommendations. Thanks in advance!
ssconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:04 AM   #2
capeokw56
Grand Villa

I can't give you a comparison because we've only been to the spa at GF. But I can tell you that it was an incredible experience. Partly it was the atmosphere and the ambiance of the GF theme that carried into the spa and partly the spa experience in of itself.
I had never had a massage so DW and I did the couples massage a few years back. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly and are planning on going again this coming February.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
zafiro
Two Bedroom

I don't know which is better at WDW - but the Laniwai Spa at Aulani is probably the best Spa I've ever experienced. It is worth every penney (DVC disounts)! The water garden alone is an experience.
zafiro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:17 PM   #4
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking Spa

I prefer the ssr spa
Over gf

Its bigger brighter and can hang out linger with your friends

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:09 AM   #5
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom

Definitely SSR!!! GF didn't hold a candle to SSR, which really surprised me!

SSR allowed DH and I to relax together in the quiet room after our couples' massage. DH, DD25 and I went to GF about a year later (DH and I did another couples' massage and DD25 had a mani/pedi) and afterwards she and I were separated from my DH for the last quiet room and my DH had to go to the men's area. DD25 and I had no idea how long he'd want to stay in there or if he'd fall asleep(!) and be in there for hours!!! She and I didn't feel like we could relax because we didn't know when he'd be ready to leave and he felt the same way about us - of course, you don't have your phones with you for good reason!

The changing area for women in SSR was much nicer and the layout was better. At GF the whirlpool was in a weird place - don't remember exactly where it was in relation to everything else, I just recall thinking when I was there that they didn't do a very good job of putting the space together and SSR was better.

Would not return to GF but would certainly go back to SSR!
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:14 AM   #6
ssconner
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAM4DVC View Post
Definitely SSR!!! GF didn't hold a candle to SSR, which really surprised me!

SSR allowed DH and I to relax together in the quiet room after our couples' massage. DH, DD25 and I went to GF about a year later (DH and I did another couples' massage and DD25 had a mani/pedi) and afterwards she and I were separated from my DH for the last quiet room and my DH had to go to the men's area. DD25 and I had no idea how long he'd want to stay in there or if he'd fall asleep(!) and be in there for hours!!! She and I didn't feel like we could relax because we didn't know when he'd be ready to leave and he felt the same way about us - of course, you don't have your phones with you for good reason!

The changing area for women in SSR was much nicer and the layout was better. At GF the whirlpool was in a weird place - don't remember exactly where it was in relation to everything else, I just recall thinking when I was there that they didn't do a very good job of putting the space together and SSR was better.

Would not return to GF but would certainly go back to SSR!
Yeah, I loved the SSR senses layout and experience. I know the GF one is older, but wasn't sure if it was recently remodeled or anything. Since it will just be me this time, I may have to give GF a try (in the name of scientific experimentation lol).

Thanks all for your input!!!
ssconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:40 AM   #7
Cjkmiller
One Bedroom

I agree that SSR is bigger. But for some reason I feel more drawn to GF, as I keep going back there. And actually the last couple trips I have gone to the Ship Shape spa at beach club. The pedicures are cheaper with the same technicians as they rotate. I don't need to pay the upcharge for services I won't use. I don't tend to use the spa and sauna when I get a pedicure as I don't get undressed. But for a spa day I like the coziness of GF.
Cjkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssconner View Post
Since it will just be me this time, I may have to give GF a try (in the name of scientific experimentation lol).
I agree! We would have never known the differences, if we hadn't tried both. You may find that you love GF!!

Regardless of your ultimate preference, it's Disney and it's a spa!!! Guess you just gotta take one for the team!!

Enjoy!!
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #9
cocosmeme
Studio

I have used both and I agree that the SSR spa was a nicer experience. That really surprised me. They are both awesome though. I usually go to the one that is more convenient to where I am staying. GF if I am on the monorail or at GF and SSR for all others. We always have a car with us so driving is easy. You can't go wrong with either but I do agree the facilities are nicer at SSR.
cocosmeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:30 PM   #10
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking for comparison purposes....

I think for comparison purposes,

You should go to SSR one day, GF 2 days later.

LOL

Cheers
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote